Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

anyone else a little peeved

Old 10-29-2004, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone else a little peeved

Does it bother anyone else that mercedes seems to have shafted chrysler by giving the new slk 50 more hp than the car we got. Guess it sorta justifies why our car was allowed to be sold by chrysler, they had a new hotter version ready back then probably. anyway, you know me, just thinking out loud.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: anyone else a little peeved

na not really. The price tag on the cf would be a hell of a lot more if it had the latest eng, tranny, susp, ect. Also our eng is tried and test. That merc will have a few bugs to work out over the years.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by x'ed
Does it bother anyone else that mercedes seems to have shafted chrysler by giving the new slk 50 more hp than the car we got. Guess it sorta justifies why our car was allowed to be sold by chrysler, they had a new hotter version ready back then probably. anyway, you know me, just thinking out loud.

Doesn't bother me at all.
The Mercedes brand will always be a step ahead of the Chrysler product line. This is normal marketing strategy that they and other manufacturers will continue to follow.
I think were lucky to have a Chrysler product with the engineering that Mercedes offers.
Good design and excellent underneath. Wait a couple of years (if the car survives) and the updated engine will find its way into the Xfire but at that time Mercedes will have been more updated.
I'm afraid your going to have to pay another $20g if you want that new engine with the extra power.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:52 AM

it doesn't bother me since that would knock the price up a lot i think. though i did wish it was as fast as the slk. however if i could afford a car that fast i would have gotten one. they're just trying to market cars in different rangers to get as many peoples attention as possible.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:10 AM

the price for the slk didnt increase much, so why should ours? I don't see why it would cost any extra.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Question Re: anyone else a little peeved

Originally Posted by x'ed
the price for the slk didnt increase much, so why should ours? I don't see why it would cost any extra.

Don't understand this comment. The SLK is a lot more than the XFire and the price of the 2005 XFire actually went down when you consider DC bringing out the Base car.

The new SLK has a lot of other updates in addition to engine. The body style changed.
The steering changed. They went to a different steering system from the old SLK version that we inherited.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:24 AM

And the price didnt really change for a car that was the same as ours before mechanically. I was just wondering if i was the only one, but I guess I am. Thats all. Its not a huge deal to me it just seem that if chrysler could sell a coupe' slk as a crossfire and greatly reduce the price before, why didnt they just wait to build the crossfire until this new platform came out. Not for me, really, but seems like chrysler would have made more money.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:39 AM

Yes, they could have charged more money but Daimler wouldn't sell any Mercedes SLK.

You see with the marketing and production strategy that is in place, DC has to protect the Mercedes image. Chrysler will always be a step or two BELOW Mercedes when it comes to brand image and production.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I think you're missing the real point of the Crossfire being built at all !

Because Mercedes and Chrysler are one and the same it's to increase market share and to introduce more buyers to BENZ GERMAN engineering? Hopefully helping MB and DC sales against all like Japan and Bmws,etc.

They can sell it for less without putting the MB logo on it !

As for SLKs being $45+1,000s more it's a hardtop convert.The cheapest one in the world !
I believe that MB may put the 3.5 engine in the XF if sales continue after 3 years.I'd like to see one more crossover and put the Hemi in it .

Old 10-29-2004, 02:22 PM

Don't want to make anyone mad, but I think one ot the reasons they produced the Crossfire was to get rid of all the lefover 230Slk parts?????

Old 10-29-2004, 02:24 PM

i guess that makes more sense to me, if its true