Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Squeaky Spoiler

Old 11-17-2004, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Spoiler

When my spoiler goes up it squeaks now. It never did this before. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so if they just used some WD40 or if there are any other suggestions. It may have done this for a while and I just didn't notice because usually the radio is on too loud! Amber

Old 11-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Default Re: Squeaky Spoiler

See if you can get some grease into the hinges with the spoiler up. WD-40 is nice, but I don't think it would hold up well in this application.

If the squeak is coming from the drive motor, then you'll have to take apart the tailgate to grease it.

Last edited by TSaxMan113; 11-17-2004 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Forum Regular

There is a TSB for a squeaky spoiler. I don't know what the fix is, but I'm sure it is just lubricating the hinge mechanism.

Make: CHRYSLER
Model: CROSSFIRE
Year: 2004
Type: ANY
Service Bulletin Number: 2302504
NHTSA Item Number: 10008747
Summary Description:
SQUEAK/CREAK SOUND FROM REAR SPOILER. *MJ

Old 11-17-2004, 09:13 AM

I know I am going to sound stupid, but what is a TSB. I just got on this website today and I have seen it a few times talking about the wind coming in around the windows, which is another problem I am having and I don't know what it means.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular

A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. It is essentially a documented solution to a fairly common problem so the dealers will know the fix. They usually are only customer satisfaction issues, and not safety problems so owners are not notified of the fix like we would be in a safety recall.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ambcarlson
When my spoiler goes up it squeaks now. It never did this before. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so if they just used some WD40 or if there are any other suggestions. It may have done this for a while and I just didn't notice because usually the radio is on too loud! Amber
Over the summer I experienced a squeel whenever the temperature was over 95 degrees, but that was my only problems up until a few weeks ago. Now that we are having temperatures in the 30's my spoiler is starting it again. When its hot its more of a moaning squeak, like the motor is dying. Now that it is cold it is more of a high pitched squeak. I had the dealer look at it for the high temperature moan, supposedly they fixed it, but it still did it. It makes you wonder how these things are going to work when the car is 10 years old.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Forum Regular

mine squeaks when going up or down also. I lubed the hinges but that did nothing. It is coming from inside the tailgate area. Next time it is in for service the 5 slugs guys will have to take care of it. Dealers suck.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:22 AM

I like the last post..."dealers suck"... Mine is in the shop right now with this problem and the guy tried to tell me that it didn't squeak. If he would only open his ears he would hear it. He also tried to tell me that it was something in the trunk...Not hardly. My trunk is empty!! So anyway. It is still in the shop getting a new radio put in. They didn't mention anything about a TSB on this subject, but we'll see when I get it back. Glad to hear that I am not the only one...

Oh yeah... WD-40 didn't work for me... don't know about anybody else

Old 12-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Forum Regular

I had an issue with mine when it came up at highway speeds, the down force made it rattle. When it was down it was quiet until I hit a dirt road, then it rattled like crazy. Squeek or rattle, I don't know if it is the same as yours but the dealer tightened down the hatch lid and it completely stopped. You can check to see if you have the same problem buy pushing down on the hatch and letting go quickly. If it squeeks or rattles, that's the problem. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2004, 04:32 AM

I had the hatch rattle and the squeaky spoiler. I think at first I always had the radio on so loud that I didn't hear the squeak. I brought it in and there was a TSB for both problems and they fixed them both and I got the oil changed before winter storage even though it wasn't time yet. I feel bad that my little car is sitting with a car cover on it in storage. I can't wait to get it out in the spring. We don't have much snow, but there is always salt on the roads up here in the winter, which we all know is the worst thing for cars.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:11 PM

I hear you, mine is put away 'til the spring as well, but in Boston, it's a must to have an SUV to cart you around come winter.