Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire review Video

Old 11-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire review Video

http://www.freebmw.net/bimmersteven/...ossfire_hi.wmv

hmm the brits does not like crossfire... but we have quite abit of members from UK???

Old 11-24-2004, 02:52 PM
BCC
Default Re: Crossfire review Video

I decided NOT to buy a Crossfire. Had nothing to do with the concerns expressed in the video...., just needed a bigger people hauler that my wife would drive in the winter.

I test drove a Crossfire 3 times. I've driven hundreds of different models of cars. I don't agree with his comments.

You know, there is a type of Brit who just has to slag anything American. With his WWII comments about Hersey Bars and nylons and his predictable jab at US beer coupled with the fact he couldn't find ANYTHING nice to say about the car, shows his bias. The guy isn't credible. No car is perfect and I can understand this one not being everyone's cup of tea, but come on....

BTW, I'm a Canuck living in NJ...ok....he was right about the beer....

BCC

Old 11-24-2004, 06:58 PM

Here is one Brit...sorry Scotsman...who loves his Crossfire !! 30th November is St Andrews Day, and I'll be driving through the home of golf , St Andrews, Scotland, proudly in my American car. I have no problem with that, the car is amazing

Old 11-24-2004, 09:45 PM

This must have been some sort of comedy routine. The guy obviously didn't know what he was talking about, in fact, driving a left-handed drive vehicle, he didn't know which side of the road to drive on; no wonder his experience was dillusional and quacky.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:21 PM

I didn't download the video, but I think it's safe to assume that was the Jeremy Clarkson video from Top Gear, right? Obviously he's very opinionated and has some of the harshest reviews I've ever seen. He's got a heavy Ferrari bias, but will still manage to find something wrong with them. He's reviewed hundreds of cars and knows his stuff. He's just especially harsh on "American" cars. About the only American car he liked was the new Ford GT. In fact, he's ordered one for himself to add to his personal gallery.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:28 PM

He knows his stuff??? That's the guy on the video that thought the rear end of the Xfire looked like a dog squatting to take a sh.. Does he not know that the Xfire won car design of the year for 2004? I'm afraid I can't agree with you on that one.

He doesn't know "squat"/.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:41 PM

He really does know his stuff. Like I said, he's reviewed hundreds of cars. I used to have gigabytes worth of his stuff on a previous hard drive. Again, he just doesn't like things that come with an American badge. Though, I had an SLK review of his and he didn't like that either.

The fact that he thinks the car looks like a dog taking a **** from behind is irrelevant. Listen to what he says about the transmission, suspension, and engine... Notchy shifter that pops out of gear, soft suspension, and an engine that lacks low end grunt...any of that sound familiar? He even comments on the quiet exhaust note - something many of us have commented on as well.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:51 PM

No car is perfect. My shifter is not notchy and never had problem popping out of first. Suspension is just right for a sports car that is driven daily. I would not want bone jarring suspension just so I could pull .95g on my way to work. I don't think engine lacks low end grunt, only that the first gear ratio is pretty low.
But like I said, no car is perfect. What he has missed is that this vehicle is good value for the bucks. Possibly they charge way too much for it in the U.K. but that's their problem.
The North American market is going to be the true judge of the Xfire in the end.
Any so-called car critic, if he is worth his weight in salt would not be bias one way or another but would complete a very unbias review and call the shots the way they really are. There is no need for slanted reviews or comments unless he is looking to make an "***" of himself.
Sorry, but that is what I think of people like him.

Old 11-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Forum Regular

Whilst I don't agree totally with Jeremy in the video he does make some good points. The steering does lack feel and I do find I don't know what the tyres are doing sometimes. The interior is plastic-y, the engine isn't as powerfull as we would like. But lets not forget the price tag, what you do get for your money is a good stylish car like no other. Any car that is a little unique will have its lovers and its haters, it is the Marmite effect!

Old 11-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Talking Re: Crossfire review Video

This is from my recent bonfire night party!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dsc00619.jpg (87.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Thumbs up Re: Crossfire review Video

Originally Posted by mrkipling
This is from my recent bonfire night party!

I love it. This puts new meaning in toasting your marshmellows. Just toast Jeremy, he deserves it!

Old 11-25-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by pnsji
http://www.freebmw.net/bimmersteven/...ossfire_hi.wmv

hmm the brits does not like crossfire... but we have quite abit of members from UK???
I'm surprised anyone is still discussing this review as it is as old as the Crossfire itself. I would say however that Clarkson’s views have brought Crossfires sales and credibility in the UK to an appalling low. I would be surprised to see this car still for sale in the UK by the end of next year.
Unfortunately, and like it or not Clarkson has great influence in the UK car market.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That was some funny stuff... Almost as good as a Monty Python bit... I wonder how long it will take before their show is syndicated in the US...

Old 11-26-2004, 12:05 PM

Would have to agree with you Saldous on the lack of communication in the steering. I'm no racing driver, but you really do wonder what's going on down there sometimes when you're going thru the twisty bits.

Having said that, this car has other attributes that make it (imo) the best buy in the sector.

For a start, it's the best looking (regardless of what JC says) and gets the most positive attention - you don't see anyone staring at 350zees / RX8's / TT's / 3series coupes the way people gawk at the XF. I've ony had the car 2 months and twice have returned to it to find people looking at it.

It also makes a great noise. A colleague of mine drives a 350Z and even he thinks the XF sounds great.

When I was shopping for cars I test drove all the above and it came down to the Xf and the RX8.
Prices?
RX8, business lease, 15k miles a year - £404GBP +tax per month was the cheapest I got anyone to go.
XF same lease terms - £288GBP + tax per month.

NO BRAINER!!!!!

I accept that at this point Chrysler UK were doing massive discounts on the car to try and sell them (probably thanks to JC's damning report) but this is still brilliant Value. I couldn't get anything else in the class within a £100 of that.

Comments on the auto I think are unjustifed. Funny how when it was the old SLK320 that was getting reveiwed the gearbox was fine, but on a Chrysler it's a massive issue. Many forum posts and external reveiws indicate the auto to be the 'box to go for.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal opinion - no matter what anyone motoring hack thinks - and I really enjoy my XF.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:30 PM

i personally think this guy should be shot. He said the suspension sucked ITS A SPORT SUSPENSION!!! what do u want from it? I love the car and YES its FUN to drive. IDK whats wrong with this character?

Old 11-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Forum Regular

Top Gear is just an entertainment show not a real motoring programme anymore, the fifth gear review was more balanced and as such its better source of good reviews. Clarkson and Topgear do things for ratings, the Xfire was an easy american target.

Old 11-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Smile Re: Crossfire review Video

As a Brit living in the Us I can understand all the Hot Air being spent on one tiny small minded car reviewer... Jeremy hasnt grown up..he is still a little boy lost in the big world.. his yummy cars are unavailable to us mortals.. I watched him salivatating over a $600k Maclaren... what Chysler has done and its worth thinking about this .. they have produced a really stunning mid range sports tourer for older road users, it is definitely not a boy racer and whilst it is incredible value, it is not a high end sports car.. whats more its moved into the hallowed turf of the british sports car.. I mean look at the MGF no comparison... Rather then moan about the likes of one British Reviewer , lets enjoy the car it is destined to be a classic.!

Old 11-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Thumbs up Re: Crossfire review Video

Well spoken Kit and Kat.

I hope your not dual personalities!?

Old 11-27-2004, 04:10 PM

Hi..
Me, with a dual personality, not at all ,we have a 420hp with alsorts of Callaway mods,Camaro Z28 in our stable... thats Kat's car( she who must be obeyed ! know the feeling ? ), me being an Old fart has a sturdy Volvo estate..grin.. we fight over the Crossfire.. well until we buy the Roadster - by the way we tried the 350Z Roadster and were not impressed....

Old 11-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kit,
When you get the roadster, who gets it?
I think the one who has more wind to blow thru their hair, hehe!

Quick Reply: Crossfire review Video