Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

My next car??????

Old 11-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My next car??????

Does the car seem fast. I just dont think 215 HP is alot. But I know the car is light so I am sure that helps some. How does the car feel. How is the overall drive and performance. Does the car feel small. I mean I am a little guy at 5'8 so the car being small doesnt really bother me. But tell me your overall impression.

TOM

Old 11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Default Re: My next car??????

The car is faster than you can usually drive in traffic, it fits like a glove ( and I'm 5'11") and it'll take a corner or curve fast enough to make you wet yourself. It's also sophisticated enough to behave nicely at normal speeds (showing off the Mercedes genes). If you test drive one, make sure to give it a thorough work out.

Old 11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Thumbs up Re: My next car??????

Does the car seem fast? That is a relative thing. There are some on this forum who don't think it is fast enough but I certainly feel it is adequate for everyday driving.

I find the car feels great, fun to drive and very nimble. I have driven cars that feel better, better
steering feel, but they have a stiffer suspension and don't ride as nice. I think the Xfire is a good compromise between comfortable ride and handling. The car is very solid. Well built.

I would not say that the car feels small. It is hard to describe the feel but I can say that the steering radius is excellent for turning in tight spots; best car I have driven in that respect.

I have owned five Corvettes (currently have an '88) and driven many different cars. I love the Xfire and drive it every day, except for winter. It currently is stored away during winter and never was my intention to drive during the winter time. I doubt it would handle very well in the snow and ice because of the very low profile tires.

Everyone is different in there sports car preference but I would say that chances are you would end up liking it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mbepic; 11-30-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:06 PM

It's not about how the car feels ... it's about how the car make you feel! The Crossfire makes me feel great!

Old 11-30-2004, 11:56 PM

IF your buying the crossfire for speed, buy the srt6 or look elsewhere. Im one of the more unhappy crossfire owners. But im a speed nut, and one thing the crossfire is not is fast. Overall nice car, but i wish i never bought it. Should have bought a used evo or sti.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:37 AM

yeah, i agree with bullseye about everything except for regretting that i bought it. its definately not a fast car, its very average with just about anything out there today. an accord v6 speed will spank it, just for an example. I do love it though, but had i been more patient i probably would have gotten a gto, because im mod happy, and they have a crapload of mods available for that car.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ThomasGraybeal,
I think if you look at the ages of the posters here, you'll find that there are quite a few 20's that have and love them. Then there the MLC(mid-life-crissis') like myself that also have them. That tells me that it is a quick, fun car that doesn't beat you to death! (kind of like mbepic said " I think the Xfire is a good compromise between comfortable ride and handling.") There are also a lot of posts about the size of the car and it seems that there is enough room for someone 6'2, so there must be AMPLE room for someone of your length!

There are only a handful of people that have complaints about the car, but then most of THEM also say the love the car, if not for the handling, for the attention it gets!

As for myself, I like the Roadster better than the coupe, but there again is a personal prefference. I'm not sure where you're from, but if you're in a year round mild climate, you have the ideal home for one. I hate not driving it now because of the weather!

Your best bet, if you're worried about how fast it is, is to take one for a really good test drive. That's what they're for!

Good luck in your quest!

Old 12-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Banned

Well my 2 cents,I've driven the so called fast cars and except maybe an AMG v-8 or six I wouldn't buy a Mini or Subu.an evo looks like a bad dream,maybe a new vette or Porsche . The 350z was a big mistake I had one for a month and hated every so called fast mile.But the Crossfire is nimble and quick I have driven the SRT and except for the off the line POwer rush I'd rather drive a stock one XF for every day driving!!My next sports coupe will either be a Corvette C6 or XK8 Or Porsche to be better than My crossfire.And if and when I replace it I'll still miss it.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:45 AM

As far as fit goes, I'm 5'8" also. I fit perfectly into the drivers seat with plenty of legroom and probaby 4" to 5" of extra head room (coupe). The shifter is in the exactly perfect spot to rest my right hand on. To me this car doesn't feel as small as it is, and I had a Grand Cherokee as my last vehicle for 6 years before I got my XFire

For speed, it won't win many 1/4 mile races, but it would win lots of road track races. The handling and cornering is especially good in this car. For me it seems there is a big surge of power at around 4k rpm that feels real nice.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:36 PM
DBY
Thumbs up Re: My next car??????

I think the crossfire is misunderstood. It is a GT car NOT a full blown sports car.

It doesn't do anything exceptionally great but instead does many things well.

My car is an autostick with an upsolute chip and anything other than a zero to sixty launch it is plenty fast. Punch the gas anywhere between 3k-5k and it takes off. It is also extremely stable and comfortable at speeds in excess of 100mph.

My last car was a Subie WRX, much faster with better steering feel but very skittish and not at all confidence inspiring at high speeds. More like a beer can with a big engine.

Also I don't think you can compare the overall build quality of it's competitiors with the crossfire. I have owned Nissans, Acuras and test driven everything else and none of them have the Mercedes feeling of the crossfire.

Good luck with your decision. I am very happy with mine.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by x'ed
yeah, i agree with bullseye about everything except for regretting that i bought it. its definately not a fast car, its very average with just about anything out there today. an accord v6 speed will spank it, just for an example. I do love it though, but had i been more patient i probably would have gotten a gto, because im mod happy, and they have a crapload of mods available for that car.
I was going to trade my Crossfire in on the GTO. I'm glad I didn't. The Crossfire is overall better than the GTO. Any ways most stock gtos ive seen cant get into the 13's. And that car is almost as bad for holding value as our crossfires almost. And to make real power in the gto it needs better heads and head swaps are big money. They just weigh too much.
Gto was a nice car but it is fugly, and with the 400hp one coming just wasnt worth to get it. I may try to get the 400hp Goat when it comes out.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Forum Regular

Thomas:
I have the 2004 Coupe with the 6 speed. Had it about 6 months now and I just look for an excuse to go cruising! Had 6 Corvettes but nothing newer than a 71 LT1 (1956 the oldest) and I enjoy driven the Xfire more. Unfair comparison, as the new Vettes have come along way. I love the shifting gears and the Xfire does it well. Miss the raw power, sure, but the guys on this forum will find something eventually that we all will like. Just save your money and wait it out.
You can't be racing all the time but you can sure look cool all the time! Xfire does that!!

Old 12-02-2004, 03:59 AM

I am 5.7 and around 190pds. Do a lot of weight lifting so large through the thighs and shoulders. The car does not feel small to me. The cup holder is useless as there is no way I can get comfortable with a cup in it but, the radio controls and shifter is in the perfect postion for me. The drivers seat can adjust 6 different ways so, you will not have a problem finding a perfect driving postion.

I have had two bmw 328 and 330. Both where fast but only the 330 matches the speed of the XF. In the UK there are far too many speed cameras, cops and other speed calming devices. Long story short, was going to buy a M3 but whats the point as I would my license would most likely be taken away.

Buy what you want, it's your money. Whatever you do, don't buy what people think you should have as you will pay a lot of money for something you really don't like.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:48 AM

My 2 cents....this car is absolutely, positively not fast. It does seem 'quick enough' on the highway but if you are a 0-60 guy, look elsewhere. I bought the car for the german craftsmenship and most of all, the aesthetics. Quite simply, this car gets looks. I grew up in a family of Corvette fanatics...my father has 3. The fam. was in for Thanksgiving and could not believe the 'looks' and 'attention' this car gets. It is amazing. For the money, the only other car I would consider is the G35 coupe....more power, quality craftsmenship, nice looks.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Banned

Yeah for 27-30k for 04 now you could buy 2 Xfires 1 cpe. 1 Ragtop. and still have change from what a new Porsche cpe is or a Mbenz 500sl.