Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Found this sad news - 2 die in Crossfire

Old 12-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found this sad news - 2 die in Crossfire

2 killed in head-on collision

Monday, November 29, 2004 By JOHN BARNA
Staff Writer
PILESGROVE TWP. -- Two people were killed and two others critically injured Sunday in a two-vehicle, head-on motor vehicle accident on U.S. route 40, state police said.

Killed in the 1:10 p.m. crash between Kings Highway and Cowtown were a man, 50, from Woodbine, Cape May County, and a woman, 61, from Lewes, Del. Their names were not released Sunday night pending notification of their next of kin.

Clarence E. Hunt, 63 and Maria L. Hunt, 60, both of Towson, Md., were critically injured in the crash. Both were transported via South Star and Penn Star helicopters to the Cooper Medical Center in Camden.

State police reports said the two were seriously injured. Their conditions were not known late Sunday.

The Hunts were in a Toyota Avalon traveling west on Route 40 and the two deceased were in a Chrysler Crossfire heading east.

The Avalon crossed the center line of the two-lane road and entered the eastbound lane. The vehicles collided head-on, according to state police at the Woodstown barracks.

The man from Woodbine was declared dead at the scene. The woman from Lewes was pronounced dead at Memorial Hospital of Salem County, Mannington Township.

Assisting the Woodstown EMS at the scene were members of the Reliance Fire Co., Mannington Fire Co., Carneys Point Fire Department, Life Support 1 and 5 and Medivac 5.

TAKEN FROM NJ.COM

Old 12-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Epyon
Default Re: Found this sad news - 2 die in Crossfire

so much for crossfire safety.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:14 AM

One should consider the closing speed of a head on collision before being overly concerned with Crossfire safety...
Over in the UK the Top Gear team bought a BMW7 series and a Volvo 960 .. and then via radio control crashed them at a clsoing speed of 120mph ie 60mph each head on..the cars were a total wreck... it would be unlikely that anyone survived... the point being.. not too many chances of surviving a head on when both are travelling at 60mph or more !!!

Old 12-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like one passing and didn't see the other in time.The time was 1pm afternoon I don't know how the sun is there low or ? To bad for all concerned .

Old 12-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Re: Found this sad news - 2 die in Crossfire

Gee, too many accidents lately! Thursday, my mom (71) hit a patch of ice with her Envoy and lost it, rolled it 3 times and landed in a ditch. She and the other 2 ladies in it were ok. The one in the back seat didn't even have her seat belt on and ended up only getting some dirt in an eye from her face being in the water in the ditch! They had someone looking out for them!
Then yesterday, it was finally sunny here(but a cold 38 F) so we went out for a Sunday drive. On the way home the road was blocked off with a detour and we could see when we got back to the main road that a large Motorcycle hit a mini Van head on at a very high speed on curvy roads. My guess was that the motorcycle lost it on the curve as the vehicles were in the van's correct lane for it's direction. There were at least 10 state police cars there, but no ems or anything yet. I'm thinking it was a fatal accident because I can't see how the biker could have survived. I'm glad I didn't see him because just the werckage gets burned in my brain. Not a great picture.
You can be an excellent driver, and the bad thing is that not everyone else is, and accidents do happen that can't always be avoided because they happen SO fast! That's why I think people traveling 100mph + on highways in the US are reckless!

Last edited by MI Roadster; 12-06-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:05 PM

MI, I agree. When you are travelling at those speeds, you don't have any reaction time for any unusual event. I have a friend who was travelling on a divided highway at 70 mph and a (drunk) girl came at him and tore off the right side of his Subaru. He walked away slightly injured (to the amazement of the state troopers who responded to the accident). He said it's amazing how little time you have to react to a situation like that. He saw her coming and couldn't get out of her way in time. Add 30 or 40 or 50 mph to that and reaction time goes to zero.
I was coming home the other nite at about 40 mph and a deer crossed the road in front of me. I didn't see her until she was in front of me. She made it to the other side of the road safely (for both of us).