Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I put a hemi in my crossfire

Old 12-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I put a hemi in my crossfire

well if that got your attention you are just the sort opf person who needs to post here. Before you get excited no, i diddnt, i lied... its because im a bad person. but now that you are here I would like your contribution to putting a hemi in a crossfire. a process should be formulated on this thread that is possible to duplicate in real life.

I have read the other threads but there was no tech info.I think it is possible

here is some general info i have. looking into my crossfire i cant help but notice the little extra space in the engine compartment. I thought it was odd since most manufacturers have perfected the ability to build an engine then squeeze it into a solid mass complete with all accessories. was this done on purpose? for future use? I think a swap for a hemi would work.

the 300C uses a mercedes transmission. Is it the same? if not is the bolt pattern the same?

as for the suspension I believe correcting for the weight is not as big of a problem as many think. the geometry shouldnt be affected if shocks and springs are replaced ( I like bilstein and those magnetoreohetic shocks ..yes i misspelled it)

anybody wanting info on those shocks read up on corvettes shocks

might have to get a little creative with the radiator

mounts should be simple measurements given to a local machine shop (expect to fail a couple times before its right)

I have no info on the rear so ill leave it out for now...... or until its scattered on the highway after a night of 2 much fun. good thing i got that insurance............Aflac.

now at this point someone will want to start talking about the extra weight up front.
before you begin ill tell you that youre right it will shift the center of gravity forward. the crossfire in my opinion has a little extra to spare in that department.

for example I have a 68 camaro with a big block that i have probably gone overboard on rebuilding. being a big block it has so much torque its really just ridiculous i am at the point that i am sacrificing torque to focus on horsepower. Main reason...... well i got a little extra so im goint to trade it for a better overall package.

well thats my lot ill be going away for 4 weeks so have fun with this thread and please be productive.... that includes the uneducated on cars in here i would appreciate your 2 cents even if you think it sounds stupid

Old 12-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Default Re: I put a hemi in my crossfire

Oh I almost forgot ... next years hemi is supposed to be 425 horsepower. now doesnt this just seem to keep making more sense.
as a hot rod guy i gotta say that i am "settling" for a hemi......viper engine is too big

Old 12-04-2004, 10:04 PM

You would be better off saving money and taking a srt-4 2.4L turbo and throwing that in. Save weight and its mod crazy. Of course the trans would be changed also, amongst other things. Srt-4's run low 13's on stage 2 and they cant hook worth crap, just imagine with the crossfire's rwd and hooking ability, i would be a 12 second car after lil' mods. And seeing a crossfire going psssssssst. woudl be wicked.

Old 12-04-2004, 10:16 PM

good point and an excellent engine by the way. but you forgot to add a comment on how to complete this project. mabye next we can try the srt4. measurements and bolt patterns would be nice.

as for the srt4 well I just cant do that to my car. the torque is what makes it fun to drive i drove the 04 neon srt4 and i would suggest taking a ride in a big block equipped car pushing about 650hp on the street then a 650hp 4 cyl. its just not even close to the same

Old 12-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my 6 liter 12 cyl.in there !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dan's pics(13).jpg (48.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 12-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Banned

Oh yeah those DC guys make a Hemi Magnum ,300C ,and soon Charger ,300cpe and Ragtop coming .And SRT-8s.

I don't think they care about the XF .

Old 12-04-2004, 11:31 PM

I disagree the crossfire is in a very good position to be DC "Camaro/Mustang" level car with a hemi. you know GM got the holden shipped from australia to be sold here. DC could very well do the same. just get them minus engine and put a hemi in over here.

price increase would be marginal (how much is the xfires eng trans anyway?)

and there it is a competatively priced muscle car for chrystler.

i would bet given a hemi the crossfire would be chosen above the 300c, or the new charger among the general public and would make people look at DC a better image.

Old 12-05-2004, 07:14 AM

Guys - THIS SWAP HAS BEEN ON MY MIND FROM DAY ONE !! There appears to be enough room behind the V6...if u look, its all trans bellhousing - a lot of space wasted.

Over here a 5.7 Hemi goes (relatively new) goes for around 9-10 K. Add to that a T 56 6 speed, and a beefier rear end it would not be a cheap move. But the unique factor cannot ignored.

The Crossfire IS NOT a rice rocket - so ricing it up with turbos and blow off valves (pssshhhhh) although ok, would take away from the character of the car. If MB hadnt dumped the remaining 3.2's on Mother MoPar to get rid of them in the X fire, Chrysler could EASILY had slotted in an EFI crate 360 small block with aluminium heads (350 EASY HP) and backed it with a Viper 6 spd. Al these parts have Mopar part #'s and and are available and can be warrantied.

IMHO, buyers would have been beating a path to MoPar's doors everywhere.....while there is nothing wrong with the MB engine (apart from a lack of decent grunt), it has cost Chrysler sales b/c the vehicle is perceived as German, not an American 2 dr cpe with V8 muscle. They would have sold a heap more Down Under with a V8 - this I know for a fact.

Oh well, guess corporate mergers dont always work the way we'd like, right guys ?

XFYRED

Old 12-05-2004, 09:07 AM

really i bought the crossfire because what i can do to it after the warranty runs out

Old 12-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Banned

Selling 25,000 units the first year and probably thru it's production run is all DC cares about.Remeber this is a SLk reskinned .And it would be Cheaper for you V-8 guys to buy the SRT6 or a Corvette with 400hp.
The Slk platform and the C cars Benz make are all based off the same Platform,You can now buy a 55V-8 in the C sedan about $58k,so maybe they'll put it in the Crossfire for kicks.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, don't forget that Renntech has already stuffed a 6.1 liter V-8 into the Crossfire. The engine is a bored and stroked 5.0 liter V-8 taken from an S500 (originally with 302 horsepower). Even with this said, think about the loss of balance that the car will have...you are putting an engine in that's almost twice the size as the factory engine. This will throw the front/rear weight distribution into a front-biased vehicle. On the track, all that you would get is heavy understeer in a car that already understeers when pushed to the limits. And, wouldn't you think that a tranny to handle the kind of power that the HEMI produces would be too wide for the transmission tunnel? Furthermore, using the SRT-8 as an example, Chrysler doesn't have a manual transmission to handle the engine's power, which takes the fun out of having such a nice engine. All in all, I don't think that a HEMI-equipped Crossfire would happen...business wise, spending millions just to develop this kind of vehicle seems like a waste of money considering that there is only a small market for this type of car.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:59 AM

I guess ford diddnt know about the market being small. Someone should have told them before they built a whole new Mustang. As for GM they are also getting in this "small" market with their GTO and bringing back the Camaro. Chrystler has been making an effort but trying isnt good enough. Its time to actually build something other than concept cars and promises.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Banned

Ford has a cutomer Mustang base built for almost 50years.Camaro may come back but it will be off a existing platform if it does .GTO who cares,Chrysler at least builds something with style.And oh yeah a Developed Mercedes Benz Driveline ! The Crossfire is not a high production car. The New Mustang Is already being rented at Hertz and FORD plans to build !00,000++ UNITS the First year !

Old 12-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bullethead67, whether or not this is true, but I have not been seeing many new GTO's on the street...which probably means that they are not selling well. Most importantly, you must realize that the Mustang has always been a great value...for roughly 26,000 dollars, you can get a car that does the quarter mile in under 14 seconds, and it has four seats too. If the Crossfire were to get the HEMI engine, it would be having more horsepower than the SRT-6, and so it's price will be around the same price tag as the SRT-6, $45,000. At this price, there is many different cars to get. The new Mustang will probably be a sales success because it's the only AMERICAN car at less than $28,000 that has good performance and a V-8.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Smile Re: I put a hemi in my crossfire

Alright, for you guys thinking of swapping in the new HEMI, check out hotrodlane.cc They have experience with swapping the new HEMI into other vehicles and can supply motor mounts and wiring harness for a swap of this kind. Although, I think that an LS1 would be a better choice than the HEMI. The LS1 is an all aluminum engine that probably weights less than 50lbs more than the factory engine in the crossfire. Check out hinsonsupercars.com, they swap LS1's into 3rd gen Mazda rx7's and keep a perfect 50/50 weight distributuion. Oh yeah, you can get a ls1/t56 20,000 mile package for around $4,000 if you look around. This swap is very probable and fairly straight forward. I would suggest that putting an ls1/t56 into a base crossfire would cost less than buying an srt6. There are also many companies that sell wiring harnesses that will allow the engine to run in the crossfire.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by bullethead67
good point and an excellent engine by the way. but you forgot to add a comment on how to complete this project. mabye next we can try the srt4. measurements and bolt patterns would be nice.

as for the srt4 well I just cant do that to my car. the torque is what makes it fun to drive i drove the 04 neon srt4 and i would suggest taking a ride in a big block equipped car pushing about 650hp on the street then a 650hp 4 cyl. its just not even close to the same

The torque ratings are crazy on the srt-4, some of the stage II's were putting down more tq than my mach 1. They were putting over 300 ftlbs to the wheels! Insane if you ask me. I'm talking price, the srt-4 swap would be much cheaper than the hemi, and as far as drivnig a powerful v-8, I owned a great deal of them, from 150hp (85 El camino 305):-) to my 03 Cobras blown 4.6L's underated 390hp(really puts out around 430 stock).And i driven a modded 03 cobra that put down over 550whp, and been in around a 500bhp EVO and i thought they were both cool as hell. Fast is fast to me. And if a hemi will cost 10k i thinks its a waste, for half that you could put in the srt-4 drive train and would be cheap to mod. And get 30mpg and save weight what more could you ask for. Or how bout using the 46g3 from an evo, i was looking at prices when i was buying one with a blown trans. I can get an engine for 2200 and a trans for 1600ish, now talk about mod capability. They get 400awhp from that engine on the stock 16g. Slap in a clipped 18g and your ready to roll. If I was swaping any v-8 and spending up towards 10k, i would be buying an 03-04 cobras drivetrain, T-56 trans and 4.6L Supercharged. I think the srt-4 drive train would be the way to go.

Personally I agree with the one guy who said with all this money you can just buy a c6. I agree with him. And for those who care i found my next car. I still can't believe they are making it. I was hoping for the drivetrain in it and they did it. The 06 Mustang Cobra will have a 5.4L Dohc Eaton Blown v-8 making at least 500hp. Drool. I can't wait. Hope my crossfire breaks or sets on fire. So i could start saving more for a down payment. Dang that car is going to be evil. If its everything they say it is Expect a low 12 high 11 mustang from ford out of the box Costing under 40k sticker.Can you say 600whp with bolt ons:-D WHooop there it is. I can see it now, One guy says what do you drive, just a stang I reply. Heheh.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:04 PM

torque ratings were crazy? Is that a metric measurement? im guessing you are talking about peak torque. I just dont see how that small 4 cyl can have any kind of a broad torque curve. and definately not crazy. crazy is about 700ft lbs in SAE I guess its like 200 in metric.

-----for half that you could put in the srt-4 drive train and would be cheap to mod. And get 30mpg and save weight what more could you ask for.-----

Ok well thats just super... because everybody knows that fuel economy is paramount in a hot rod

save weight..... I guess thats for the corners.. well for the srt4 to beat out the next Hemi there better be a lot of corners on that particular track.... I would suggest a circle... really small too

what more could I ask for.... how about more displacement.. number of cyls isnt really required i just want the power of a bigger engine without the weed wacker sound

---------I agree with the one guy who said with all this money you can just buy a c6---------

You just dont get it.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 PM

I have thought of the LS1 too. but wouldnt it be nice to keep the car all Mopar. would really be nice at shows.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by golfdude
Bullethead67, whether or not this is true, but I have not been seeing many new GTO's on the street...which probably means that they are not selling well. Most importantly, you must realize that the Mustang has always been a great value...for roughly 26,000 dollars, you can get a car that does the quarter mile in under 14 seconds, and it has four seats too. If the Crossfire were to get the HEMI engine, it would be having more horsepower than the SRT-6, and so it's price will be around the same price tag as the SRT-6, $45,000. At this price, there is many different cars to get. The new Mustang will probably be a sales success because it's the only AMERICAN car at less than $28,000 that has good performance and a V-8.
yes i havent seen many GTOs either. its because they are ugly. but GM still decided to try to rectify the problem with a new look because the market is there if they get it right.

Now you are right Mustang has a base they have built for about 50 years. Apparently the market is not very small after all. Chrystler needs to start their own customer base what better time then when all the available parts are ready and in production. I am sure they have thought of this already but dont have the ***** to move on it...... I think the CEOs have been neutered

Cost...... I dont have any numbers in front of me but i would bet that the mercedes motor trans and rear is much more expensive than a hemi drivetrain. I doubt it would be even in the same ballpark... (or planet) It could be built for less than a srt6 a lot less. what to do with the srt6, well once the hemicross arrives who cares? get rid of it and all those expensive options that come with it. I like my crossfire its basic simple elegant and coming soon.... full of **** and vinegar

(thats a saying im not really going to fill my car with **** or vinegar)

Old 12-06-2004, 01:30 PM

well I just gor back from the rentech page. I diddnt see a do it yourself kit and i would like to add that their prices are retarded......... theres quality then theres just gouging

Quick Reply: I put a hemi in my crossfire