Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

AM/FM CD with Navigation

Old 12-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM/FM CD with Navigation

Anyone know where/who is selling the stock Crossfire AM/FM CD with Navigation cheaper than Mopar?? ($1950)

Old 12-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Default Re: AM/FM CD with Navigation

Nope, not here. Why would you want it? No visual GPS, only voice prompting.
There are much better systems out there at a much lower price.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:48 AM

Only reason i would like stock is because it fits and wouldn't have to compromise any of my air vents or ruining the look of the interior. I'll do my research on the other products, thanks MBEPIC

Old 12-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get a headunit thats the same size, with a flip out screen display. Navigation that you can see is a lot easier than simple voice prompt. I rather see a map of exactly where I'm going. Sometimes you mapquest stuff, and it gives you some very uneccessary instructions, which could end up being a pain if you only hear them, but have no idea where your truly going. Plus with a flip out screen you could put a DVD player in your trunk or somewhere else, and use it for more than just navigation.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:03 AM

Thanks, i'll be looking in to a few different options. Anyone have any suggestions good/bad what to stay away from??

Old 12-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Forum Regular

Some people have the Pioneer Avic N1/X1. I hear there is an N2/X2 on its way too. But reviews I've seen and talking on forumsto people who have them it isn't that great in the UK. Poor postcode lookup, some whole towns missing, seems to be 100yards behind where you really are etc.. I just use my IPAQ with the TOMTOM software, works great and a lot cheaper. Plus no real fitting, I can take it in any car I like easily.

Old 12-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Forum Regular

The Fuel:
Given any thought to a hand held? You can get a very unintrusive holding bracket for your car. I have a Garmin which I quite like and being portable I can use it in other cars when renting out of town. Of course I get the most use out of it when fishing or hunting. Just another option. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Thumbs up Re: AM/FM CD with Navigation

Originally Posted by saldous
Some people have the Pioneer Avic N1/X1. I hear there is an N2/X2 on its way too. But reviews I've seen and talking on forumsto people who have them it isn't that great in the UK. Poor postcode lookup, some whole towns missing, seems to be 100yards behind where you really are etc.. I just use my IPAQ with the TOMTOM software, works great and a lot cheaper. Plus no real fitting, I can take it in any car I like easily.
Did I hear TOMTOM? The cats out of the bag now. I got my TOMTOM.GO a few weeks ago. A great unit with all detailed maps of U.S.A. and Canada. 256mb of SD storage in addition to 32mb of internal ram. Completely portable with AC/DC adapter and rechargeable Lithium Battery (about 4-5hours). Sits neatly on top of the dash, suctioned to the inside of windshield but could attached to any flat surface on glovebox or console.
Full colour 3d graphics with CLEAR voice prompt. Amazingly accurate within feet of destination point. These are now available for about $749. U.S. incl. $50. factory rebate.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'm really pleased with mine.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:36 AM
Forum Regular

Yup, the TOMTOM stuff is good. If you don't have a PDA then the TOMTOM GO is superb. BTW, how do you get new / updated maps onto the TOMTOM GO?

Old 12-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about some pictures of the hand held naviation units in your cars? I'd like to see that one that suctions to the dash. A portable nav system would be good but I would want it to look like it fits as part of the car.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by saldous
Yup, the TOMTOM stuff is good. If you don't have a PDA then the TOMTOM GO is superb. BTW, how do you get new / updated maps onto the TOMTOM GO?
The system comes with 8 CDs with all the maps of North America. The SD chip is preloaded with Major Road Network of America.
You connect the TOMTOM to your computer with a USB cable and load anyone of the CDs on your computer. You can then delete or add any of the maps from & to the SD card.
We are planning on going to Florida sometime late winter or early spring and I have already preloaded all the maps from Ontario, Michigan, Ohio down through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia into Florida. At this point, I have also setup navigation points that have taken me to the U.S.A. side of the Ambassador Bridge over the Detroit River.
Everything is detailed and I have full confidence that we won't get lost like on other trips of this kind, especially when you decide to take side trips or have to take detours.

In the spring I also plan to buy another 256mb SD chip or possibly a 512mb chip and preload other states in case we decide to come back up the east coast (alternate route).

In the future, I expect TOMTOM will release new updated maps via CD to keep the whole system reasonably up to date.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
How about some pictures of the hand held naviation units in your cars? I'd like to see that one that suctions to the dash. A portable nav system would be good but I would want it to look like it fits as part of the car.
I'm afraid I can't take pics of the TOMTOM in the Xfire because the Xfire is stored away for the winter now. But one thing I can say is that it is very flexible with 180 degree swivel in two different directions (side to side & up/down). You can place it on the lower centre of your windshield so the TOMTOM sits nicely on top of the dash.

The TOMTOM comes in a black and grey colour and blends in exactly with my two-tone grey interior. It could not have been any better match for the interior colours.

Currently, I'm using the TOMTOM in my PT Cruiser and the other day we had to go to a party at a house we were not familiar with, other than we had their address.
Put in the address as our destination and it took us to their driveway within 50ft of the destination point that was originally set.

You could take the unit out of the vehicle and walk around with it downtown somewhere and it will navigate you around the city. Great for those places you have never been before but want to get to a specific address or "Point of Interest".

If you want to see pics and demo of unit, go to
www.tomtom.com

Look for the TOMTOM GO unit.

Last edited by mbepic; 12-14-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Forum Regular

The Fuel:
I have to agree with pocket PC idea as I have seen it work. Heck, it will even tell you when you went the wrong way. It says that you have to turn around as you have just gone by your destination. Slick? Pocket PC's with the TOMTOM software will not cost as much as the Chrysler unit, and as mbepic said you can take it with you. And now you have a fully functional PC as a daytimer, web searcher, alarm, recorder, picture viewer, client list, phone numbers and a whole punch more. I have had a pocket PC for years and I couldn't go without it. That's my two cents worth. Good luck?

Old 12-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Forum Regular

If you look in my sig, there is a link to pic of my car, there are some there showing my nav system. (I think the hoster has the server down for maintenance at the moment but keep trying).

Last edited by saldous; 12-14-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:03 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions boys, i'll be looking at one by then end of the week, i'll let you what i get. Although driving in Boston the only thing that would help me get to point B from point A with out getting lost would be a helicopter!!