Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Driver Side Door Pops

Old 12-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side Door Pops

My Crossfire has about 4000 miles on it. Many times when I am driving it, I hear a pop in the driver side door after I close it -- delayed by about four seconds. I am not referring to the door locking. I can't tell if the noise is associated with the window or with the side air bags. I have had to have my window readjusted three times for wind noise, but I t think this is a separate issue. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?

Many thanks and happy holidays.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Unhappy Re: Driver Side Door Pops

I've got 8,000 miles on mine and the same problem showed up when the weather started to turn cold.

If you get it to pop when you're standing outside the car hold a straightedge on the side of the door and you'll see it's proud of the side by about 1/4". The door also moves around when the car hits bumps and you get road noise coming up from the bottom and rear edges of the door because the gaskets there aren't sealed.

At the same time that showed up I started to have a problem with the window's top rear edge catching on the drip rail preventing the window from closing.

At the same time those two problems showed up the car started lurching to the right when the right front wheel passed over manhole covers or paint stripes.

I've had it back to the dealer four times and they are unable to fix any of these problems.

If anyone knows of a competent dealer service department to the east of Cleveland, Ohio I'd appreciate their name.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Default Re: Driver Side Door Pops

Originally Posted by John Webster
I've got 8,000 miles on mine and the same problem showed up when the weather started to turn cold.

If you get it to pop when you're standing outside the car hold a straightedge on the side of the door and you'll see it's proud of the side by about 1/4". The door also moves around when the car hits bumps and you get road noise coming up from the bottom and rear edges of the door because the gaskets there aren't sealed.

At the same time that showed up I started to have a problem with the window's top rear edge catching on the drip rail preventing the window from closing.

At the same time those two problems showed up the car started lurching to the right when the right front wheel passed over manhole covers or paint stripes.

I've had it back to the dealer four times and they are unable to fix any of these problems.

If anyone knows of a competent dealer service department to the east of Cleveland, Ohio I'd appreciate their name.

If you can't get a dealer to fix these problems, it seems like you should be looking at the 'lemon' law process.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your problem. Since you have gone back 4 times for the same problem & the dealer can't fix it, you probably qualify for lemon law. Unfortunately I am well versed in this subject because of my crossfire. Your state's DMV web site should have links to the specifics of their lemon law.
You can also do a search on this site for some of my posts on lemon law.
Good luck & please keep us posted.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by crd-cf
My Crossfire has about 4000 miles on it. Many times when I am driving it, I hear a pop in the driver side door after I close it -- delayed by about four seconds. I am not referring to the door locking. I can't tell if the noise is associated with the window or with the side air bags. I have had to have my window readjusted three times for wind noise, but I t think this is a separate issue. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?

Many thanks and happy holidays.
The windows simply need realigning and Chrysler will happily do this. They also lubricate the window rubber as this hardens in cold weather and doesn't allow the window so sit under it.
Forget your lemon law and just TELL them what to do.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:30 AM

I also just started having the same problem. It just got cold in South Florida the past few days and when it happened the other morning as I closed the door and backed out, I thought something hit me or I hit something!

I am going to print this thread and take it with me when I go to get it fixed.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Talking Re: Driver Side Door Pops

Originally Posted by Newtie
I also just started having the same problem. It just got cold in South Florida the past few days and when it happened the other morning as I closed the door and backed out, I thought something hit me or I hit something!

I am going to print this thread and take it with me when I go to get it fixed.
Yes the noise can give you quite a shock! I've had mine adjusted twice now and it seems to reoccur every six months - possibly due to the British weather.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:40 PM

That makes me a bit uneasy that the adjustment had to be made twice. I hate going to the dealer(s) in my area, because neither one of them has a Crossfire Tech worth a you know what!

Old 12-21-2004, 09:39 PM

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one out there to hear the pops... We've had some 'cool' mornings here in Orlando over the last couple of weeks and I've heard it 'pop' now at least twice. I'll have to ask my dealer what gives and have them take a look at it since she's currently having the TSB work done on the wind noise.