Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Other cars U considered b4 buying xfire?

Old 12-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other cars U considered b4 buying xfire?

I would love to know what car was the close 2nd to the crossfire before you bought.
Thanks.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Default Re: Other cars U considered b4 buying xfire?

I was actually considering the Audi TT quatro coupe. It is a little more expensive ,however.
But when I actually checked it out in person I didn't like the interior styling at all.
The other one was the 350Z. But the xfire won out by a big lead. I guess I wasn't that interested in performance, the styling was more important to me.( major cool factor).

Last edited by chocoholic_too; 12-15-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Forum Regular

Runner up was the 350Z also but they are more common in looks when compared to the Xfire. Plus there are twice as many of them out there and the G35 is pretty close too. Another small factor was that they cannot be driven in the winter without big $ for tires. The Xfire will get by in the Canadian winters with the Continentals as I have already found. You can drive by 50 people in a 350Z and maybe 20 will realize it is a special car but drive by in a Xfire and 50 notice. Such a radical design change from the norm.
We are paying the price for such a rare vehicle as there is not a lot of assessories available. Although that should change, if we, as a group keep looking for upgrades. I think that the Xfire may go the way of the Prowler after a few years and if so, it should hold it's value as a unique and impressive automobile. My plan is to be sitting behind the wheel of one when that happens.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member
Cool Re: Other cars U considered b4 buying xfire?

My number two was the G35 coupe and three being the 350Z. TT reminded me of my Turbo Beetle but "Out-of-Proportion"
BUTTTTTTTTT.................................

Don't hate me for saying this.............................

Understand what I am going to say.............................

Take a DEEP BREATH...................................

IF................................................ ............

the 350SLK had been available......................................

HOLD ON.................................

I would have bought it before I bought the Crossfire!

Old 12-15-2004, 10:59 PM

I looked at many things. The close 2nd was an STi and third being an EVO, and fourth being tied srt-4 and mini cooper s. Other cars I Checked out were the R32 and G35 coupe, along with the TT. And I hate HATE myself for getting the crossfire. All except the mini and srt-4 were much higher a month. The TT leading the pack at 599 a mo. Should have took the G35 coupe for 495 a mo. More money BUT man would it be worth it! WHY O why cant my car set of fire?Or throw a rod? Or even have the ignition thing go. I heard that guy might get out of his. That would be like me winning the lottery.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:39 AM

I looked at the RX-8 but the engine was way to strange for me that thing goes through 1qt of oil every 1000 miles. I also looked at the 325CI but the cost of that car is not worth what you get. The only sad thing is when I go to my chrysler dealer they have 30 Crossfire's and every one wants a 300 a family car for god sakes.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S2000
RX-8
STI
EVO
Mach 1
The Crossfire was bought simply because it was the least expensive. I miss the convertable top of the S2000, the amazing shifter in the RX-8, the practicality of the STI, the rawness of the Evo, and the sounds of the Mach 1. Ohh well, hopefully after my lease is up I will get an Elise. This is the truest sportscar available in America, I think...

Old 12-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Forum Regular

BMW Z3 M Coupe (I've had one before and wanted another)
Audi TT
RX-8
350z
Merc CLK (had one of these before as well)
S2000

Old 12-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

350z and 500 SL. Merc was too expensive. 350 was too retro for my likeing. Now with the 6 series out i could be tempted, it's that rear end that I'm just not sure about. picks of the new M6 is out and that styling has tempted me even more but, the price will hold me back for the moment. No doubt that BWM will make a sport model to the 6 series with all the cool body work but not that big v-10 eng

Old 12-16-2004, 10:30 AM

I wasn't even looking for a sports car;

Infiniti FX35
Land Rover Discovery S
Mercedes ML350
Possibly the G35

Took a test drive of the Land Rover Discovery, saw an Xfire sitting in the front of the Land Rover dealership, took it out for a ride, bought one the next day. The car is simply gorgeous. The styling alone is worth it.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Thumbs up Re: Other cars U considered b4 buying xfire?

Only other car I considered was a C6 Corvette and that was before they came out to the dealers.
There was a lot of speculation about price and the word on the street was that it would be a lot, lot more than it finally turned out to be.. I guess you could say that because of the hype on high price and the fact the car wasn't available yet, that's why I bought the Xfire.
I was ready to buy in March/April and I liked the Xfire so I went and bought it. Not sorry I did and I think considering the real price difference between the C6 and the Xfire, it was the right choice.
Besides, I have an 88 Corvette that keeps my membership in good order with the Corvette Club.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:47 PM

Thought about waiting for one of the new Mustangs with a snake emblem on it but they are still not out. Thought about a used XKR but wanted something a little less cantankerous and a little less scared of the snow. So really wasn't that tough of a decision.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Banned
Cool Re: Other cars U considered b4 buying xfire?

I like the XKR also (used)or XK8 cpe.But after driving them both I still like the XF.I've been thinking of another NSX but after driving one again I changed my mind too rough for everday driving very track like feel to it.Sooooo i'm waiting to drive a new C6 .But in the meantime happy. Oh yeah a DC dealer keeps offering a SRT6 for invoice to me BUT I hate that spoiler and would have to change those tight springs.STILL thinking ,,is it worth $250 more a month ??

Old 12-16-2004, 02:15 PM

It seems a lot of us settled & would rather have had a different car! Now I don't feel so bad. I got my crossfire because a friend works for Mercedes & I got the car at the employee purchase price. Add a couple of dealer incentives & the car was a great deal!
I'm going through the lemon law now & I may have a chance to get my money back. I really didn't consider how inconvenient a 2-seater would be. I looked at the 350 before the crossfire but with 2 seats & a higher price tag...well you know the rest.

I just learned that the G35 had a back seat! The Infinity FX45 also looks great! They both have heated seats & great Nav systems. I'm really considering dumping my Crossfire & getting a new-used G35 or FX45. The only thing I can't let go of is how rare the Crossfire is around town (even in LA where you see all kinds of exotic cars daily). This is my first BRAND NEW car. I sure wouldn't want to regret giving it up to get a used car. Grrrr.

Old 12-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about the XF lemon....... If you need more than 2 seats then try the G35 cpe.but don't expect comfort for adults back there ! I did drive both the cpe and 4 door.Both were ok nice for the $ spent.But I like the XF better.
The FX is nice for it's look.But I'm afraid the GAS per mile sucks. Good luck ! OH! a good thing with that lemon is a bottle of Patron Gold. ..Happy Holidays.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:46 PM

I was looking at the 350z and the RX8. Unlike alot of people here, the XF was my first choice even though it was the most expensive. If there was a car that I was going to "settle" for, it would have been the RX8. Styling and rareness factor eventually made my decision over the 350z.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are much better cars out there with much higher prices even even some comparable cars at the same price. Either way, the XF is a damn good car for ~30k.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:17 PM

None. I was at a DC dealer making sure my daughter wasn't getting screwed on her trade when buying a 300C(she didn't) and there was this black roadster sitting there. Let's face us all of us that bought it either because they couldn't afford what they really want or because of the LOOKS.
honda S2000 and 350Z- ugly!
porsche boxster- boring
BMW z4 -really ugly
miata -toy
corvette- everyone, even my xwife, has one
Ford GT $$$$ and un-available(no rdster)
big porsches, lambo, maseratti, lotus, merc 500sl $$$$
I have had a 81' Fiat spider since new(36k mile now) and there was nothing out there that I wanted to be seen in under 70K. I mean a really really want a Ferrari 360 spider, but 200K+ and unaffordable insurance(sigh). The Jag roadster was a possibility, but avalanche depreciation and relialibily keep me away from it. Nothing compares with the Xfire for looks, even the 350slk is girly cute. Guys like 'Bullseye' that complain about speed either can't read the specs or didn't drive it. This car has only enough HP to keep from being embarrassed by econo boxes. But it LOOKS fast sitting still. When they designed it with 19" on the back and 18" on the front they did that to make it look like it was moving forward sitting still. Plus it sounds great when you wind it up and you can red line it and not get a ticket.. It feels and looks fast. If you want to go fast buy a C6(and be one of 10 million other corvettes on the road ho-hum). Put the top down and it just makes you feel great to be alive without putting your life at risk going 90 on an exit ramp. I couldn't be happier!!!(maybe with that 360 spider)

Old 12-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Banned

I can only say Ditto to all except,The 360 spider ,because the service costs will pay for your XFire .

Old 12-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular

You know, sometimes I think you guys are talking about a different car than I bought! I have had my Xfire 6 speed for 6 months now and I still get a boast driven it. When it's clean, you can't avoid getting looks and isn't that way we bought them? If you just want speed, that's easy, there is a million cars out there both new and used, that are quicker. So what? The Crossfire will always be rare and always awesome to see.
My buddies and I laughed when we saw the 1st Superbird, could have bought it off the show room floor for $2,500 and my used 68 Firebird. Lesson learned! I think I will just hang on to my Xfire just in case!

Old 12-16-2004, 10:01 PM

Yea, like the Delorean and the Bricklin. Remember those two cars. Real classics and rare!

Quick Reply: Other cars U considered b4 buying xfire?