Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

The phycology of a manufacturer

Old 12-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The psychology of a manufacturer

A manufacturer of automobiles is a business first and a manufacturer second. When analyzing a business, analysts break the company down into segments, in turn assessing each segement in it's own right. As the industry works on an evolution of change and adaptation to it's market, it continuously analyzes it's segments against it's competitors and modifies accordingly, it does this for primarily two reasons, profit and survival.

Mercedes acquisition of Chrysler offered the company many resources and opportunities. The obvious was to aquire a world renowned brand with an excellent anchor in the automotive world. The ability to share technology, offered Chrysler the ability to merge elements of Mercedes into the Chrysler brand, it also offered new opportunities to compete in segments that were either untouched or, were not represented at that time.

The Chrysler Pacifica was an excellent example of this, as it opened a new segment of SUV/Mini-Van hybrid, that is now being well accepted and with increasing sales is looking to be a success. A risk? yes! Well calculated? Yes! Well researched? Yes! Much competition? Yes, BUT not of a "similar" nature, therefore the element of surprise and market leadership has made in impact with the Pacifica, that other manufacturer's are like to imitate...eventually!

Then came the Crossfire. But why? Likely because Chrysler was looking to fill (not create) a market segment that already had some worthy competitors. The Xfire derived mostly from the pre-2005 Mercedes SLK, with it's retro design caught the market by surprise. A quick analysis of it's actions are questionable, from a discerned and critical buyer's prospective, it's important to understand who the intended target is and they are very knowledgable before handing over that kind of dough. The SLK was not what would be considered a Mercedes success story, in fact a last ditch effort to revive the car was made for the 2005 model year, of which the Crossfire does not share. The 2005 SLK is a work of art and sculpture, that should captivate buyer's within that market segment and revive the SLK for MB. But what about the Xfire?

The Xfire essentially is the old SLK with a makeover...A cosmetic makeover, and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It meets with some hefty competition in it's segment, from the likes of companies such as BMW etc., a tough act for a new, "unproven" Chrysler badged product to follow. Was the first attempt a good one? That remains to be seen! A 215HP entry level model says this car looks good, but doesn't perform very well, in other words all talk and no action A 330HP model says, I look good and I can perform within my abilities and limitations and i'm pretty pricey, but there are some considerations at this price point,
one is the unknown, the other just might be the stigma of the old SLK.

Consideration here is as follows. If you bought a DVD player when it first came out you may have spent a thousand dollars or more, now you can pay as low as about 50 bucks. Waiting a while, would have saved a lot of money and added a lot of refinement. If you love the Xfire and just have to have it...Buy it! If you can wait and still want the Xfire, you'll probably get a better deal, a more refined car and better value for your money.

DISCLAIMER:
The above is just an opinion and is written to encourage conversation and thoughts, not to
suggest that this opinion be imposed on others, nor to be taken as fact. Enjoy!

Last edited by speedfreak; 12-19-2004 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling of "psychology" corrected, just for Dan!
Old 12-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: The phycology of a manufacturer

1. MERCEDES BENZ BOUGHT CHRSYLER ! Glad you corrected that one.!

2.The SLK was one of Mercedes best selling #s wise 2 seater!!!!...remember it's half the price of a SL.

3.I would'nt buy an 04 SLK ,but i would buy another 04 Crossfire.

4. The Crossfire is and has been Marketed exactly what it is Mercedes guts without the BORING LOOKS. I don't think they're trying to fool people !!

5.Question why doesn't Porsche BUILD an exciting LOOKING car ??under $40k
they've been making that same old platform almost 50 years.Could it be they like making only 15-25k cars a year and keeping the price high !

Oh yeah you misspelled Psychology. oooopss have a nice day !

Last edited by Dan Root; 12-19-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Default Re: The phycology of a manufacturer

Thank you for your valued thoughts!

Old 12-19-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Oh yeah you misspelled Pyschology.
Yes I like your spelling much better!

Thank you for your valued opinions!

Old 12-19-2004, 01:11 PM

1. you got the first sentence WRONG ,MERCEDES BENZ BOUGHT CHRSYLER !!!!
I did not get the FIRST sentence wrong as it clearly states...

"A manufacturer of automobiles is a business first and a manufacturer second."

Your reference to my first sentence which by the way happens to be correct, isn't even in the first paragraph!

In addition I tried to correct the spelling in the title long before you saw it, however you cannot edit the title of an original post. It is however correct in the sub-title. More importantly however, your attempt to correct my spelling with the incorrect spelling is even more humerous, as it is completely incorrect!

Oh yeah you misspelled Pyschology.
There are several spelling errors in your short post alone, why would you take it upon yourself to pass judgement in this manner?

Thank you for your valued comments.

Last edited by speedfreak; 12-19-2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:43 PM

Yes isn't he just a lovely fellow!

Old 12-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Banned

Dah,got your attention though !
Glad you corrected you're Chrysler buy out of Benz.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Thumbs up Re: The phycology of a manufacturer

Originally Posted by mbepic.
Dan's just trying to win whatever that prize is or he's shooting for 2000 posts by years end.

Now, as far as the post... I find it quite interesting and I did exactly what you mentioned in the last paragraph.

Initially when I first saw the 2004 Crossfire I thought it was an awesome design and the more I read about it the more I liked. However, having purchased a 2003 Dodge SRT-4 with a lot of negative equity I found myself nowhere ready to buy a new Crossfire. So I joined the forum, read numerous posts and wished... Often times driving by the dealership on weekends just to snag a peek. Then the rumors of a convertible in 05 and the SRT-6. Just before the end of November I read a post about deep discounts on 04's. Well it didn't take but more than a week and I was signing the papers for my very own 2004 Crossfire. Mind you it was still more than your DVD example but I am very happy and pleased with my purchase. I am also very satisfied with the performance and love the autostick and do not miss my 5-speed at all.

Now as to "why" Chrysler built the Crossfire... beats me but I am sure glad they did!

Old 12-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Banned
Cool Re: The phycology of a manufacturer

Damn I'm going out again ,all those damn Crossfire ???? ?ssss

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dan's pics(12).jpg (43.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CyberGreg
Dan's just trying to win whatever that prize is or he's shooting for 2000 posts by years end.

Now, as far as the post... I find it quite interesting and I did exactly what you mentioned in the last paragraph.

Initially when I first saw the 2004 Crossfire I thought it was an awesome design and the more I read about it the more I liked. However, having purchased a 2003 Dodge SRT-4 with a lot of negative equity I found myself nowhere ready to buy a new Crossfire. So I joined the forum, read numerous posts and wished... Often times driving by the dealership on weekends just to snag a peek. Then the rumors of a convertible in 05 and the SRT-6. Just before the end of November I read a post about deep discounts on 04's. Well it didn't take but more than a week and I was signing the papers for my very own 2004 Crossfire. Mind you it was still more than your DVD example but I am very happy and pleased with my purchase. I am also very satisfied with the performance and love the autostick and do not miss my 5-speed at all.

Now as to "why" Chrysler built the Crossfire... beats me but I am sure glad they did!

Great color choice.

If i win send the Check to the Homeless.Thanks.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:57 PM

You know what, if you don't try you'll never know! I give credit to Chrysler.

There's very few things that have turned my head like the Crossfire and most of them have been on two legs and in high heels, not four wheels.

Old 12-19-2004, 03:42 PM

speedfreak,

As you all have seen, I don't post very often but have been "lurking" in the readership since July of 2003. I'll never make 2000 posts by the end of the year but I can tell you it has been great checking the forum almost every day. I felt your thoughtfull review of manufacturing and the test of the car reviewer of the SRT6 to be interesting. As anyone who spends hard earned money on something, you don't like hearing bad reviews of shortcomings of that purchase. That being said, I can tell you that even with the lack of "rack and pinion" steering, low power ratings, poor visibility out the rear, etc, etc, I find the crossfire to be one of the most exciting cars I have ever owned. Now that doesn't necessarily mean alot as I spent 17 years in the Marines and couldn't afford new cars with performance and glitter. I find the styling, performance, handling, and value to ME, to be all I ask for. Do others go faster, yes. Did someone get a lower price than I, yes. Will Chrysler make a better crossfire in a year or two or three, probably. Am I happy with this car and would I make the same purchase again if given the chance to go back knowing what I do now? Absolutely! I've had Chryslers since my first 1951 Plymouth and some have been great and some not. Keep the spirited debates going with Mr. Dan Root and everyone else with differing views and I'll put my 1.5 cents worth from time to time. Drive, Enjoy, and have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and an Outstanding New Year.

PS
I have to wholeheartedly agree with you on the two lega and high heels.

Old 12-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Exclamation Re: The phycology of a manufacturer

Originally Posted by mbepic.

I have been waiting for this one.

Just to let everyone know on the forum that Mr. SPEEDFREAK has set himself up as mbepic. (note the (.) at the end of this name) This is being done simply to disguise himself as me and in an attempt to discredit me on the forum.

If you check CANADA post under reference to Port Perry trip you will see what I mean.
Note my signature pic is not attached, mbepic. (with the . ) was setup in December very few posts (that's not me) and it was established simply to play with me and be able to expose his immature, kiddy self.

I honestly think this SPEEDFREAK guy is an Xfire "wannabe" and likes to get off on this forum by arousing your senses. You would be best to ignore him (I wonder if his ignore list has been fixed yet), otherwise you will be encouraging him further with his games.

Needless to say, the real MBEPIC who joined this past October was not responsible for the above quote regarding Dan Root.

Thank you.

Last edited by mbepic; 12-19-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Forum Regular

Obviously speedfreak drives a 1995 Ford Taurus. (probably has a spoiler on it to make it "faster")
FO Speedfreak.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:05 PM

Sorry mbepic but I am NOT mbepic., but I do know who he is. He is one person you ticked off.

Don't be so quick to judge.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mbepic
Just to let everyone know on the forum that Mr. SPEEDFREAK has set himself up as mbepic.
Very presumptuous of you mbepic. I am most definitely not speedfreak. If you think hard you will know very well who I am, I bet you didn't expect to find me here, or maybe I should say, I bet you didn't expect me to find you here, right mbepic? Very soon I will expose to all, something that you had hoped would never come out in public (not just on this forum either), now do you remember who I am mbepic?

For those of you who don't know precisely what's going on, I would refrain from commenting on this one, you maybe in for quite the surprise, isn't that right mbepic. Besides this is not the place to settle this, lets leave this forum for what it's for. I just wanted you to know that I had found you.

Last edited by mbepic.; 12-19-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular

Punkin:
Well said, I concur!
All the Best of the Season !!

Old 12-19-2004, 07:08 PM

mbepic nice try. No not speedfreak, care to guess again? Someone you really hoped wouldn't find you here, think hard mbepic

I knew I would find you sooner or later. I can see by your comments here, you still like to step on peoples toes. Interesting place to hang out. Now do you know who I am mbepic? Once you guess it right, post it here, then I can let these folks know who there dealing with. Now you know who I am, or are you just simply playing stupid!

Old 12-19-2004, 07:37 PM

mbepic nice try. No not speefreak. Care to guess again. Think hard mbepic I bet you never thought i'd find you here. I see your still stepping on peoples toes. Now do you know who I am? I don't think any of these guys know what there dealing with here.

mbepic what goes around comes around, you've heard that expression before. Oh by the way anyone reading this stuff, before you comment, maybe you should ask mbepic a thing or two about his past, then you won't be too quick to judge. By the way mbepic (just another one of your alias's) or should I say your real name here? Why don't you keep your personal stuff off this forum. Oh by the way discredit you? I don't think that's possible. Now i'm sure you know exactly who I am.

Last edited by mbepic.; 12-19-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Banned
Wink Re: The phycology of a manufacturer

Originally Posted by Punkin
speedfreak,

As you all have seen, I don't post very often but have been "lurking" in the readership since July of 2003. I'll never make 2000 posts by the end of the year but I can tell you it has been great checking the forum almost every day. I felt your thoughtfull review of manufacturing and the test of the car reviewer of the SRT6 to be interesting. As anyone who spends hard earned money on something, you don't like hearing bad reviews of shortcomings of that purchase. That being said, I can tell you that even with the lack of "rack and pinion" steering, low power ratings, poor visibility out the rear, etc, etc, I find the crossfire to be one of the most exciting cars I have ever owned. Now that doesn't necessarily mean alot as I spent 17 years in the Marines and couldn't afford new cars with performance and glitter. I find the styling, performance, handling, and value to ME, to be all I ask for. Do others go faster, yes. Did someone get a lower price than I, yes. Will Chrysler make a better crossfire in a year or two or three, probably. Am I happy with this car and would I make the same purchase again if given the chance to go back knowing what I do now? Absolutely! I've had Chryslers since my first 1951 Plymouth and some have been great and some not. Keep the spirited debates going with Mr. Dan Root and everyone else with differing views and I'll put my 1.5 cents worth from time to time. Drive, Enjoy, and have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and an Outstanding New Year.

PS
I have to wholeheartedly agree with you on the two lega and high heels.
Dittos from Dan,I've had classics and MBs , NSX,Porsches too and I love my Crossfire.XX