Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

Old 12-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

I have been visiting this forum almost daily for the last couple of months. I find it most enjoyable and quite entertaining, and although I know none of you, I feel a kind of closeness to all of you. Among the most entertaining of the posts on this forum are the comparisons between the Crossfire and other automobiles, such as the RUF Porsches, entertaining to the point of silliness. So, I thought I would make some comparisons of my own and ask why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

I regularly drive four automobiles: my Crossfire, of course, an Oldsmobile LeSabre, a somewhat modified Jeep Wrangler rolling on some fairly serious rubber, and a Dodge quad-cab four-by-four also rolling on some fairly serious rubber.

So how does the LeSabre compare to the RUF Porches? Well, there are times when you just want to kick back on a big comfortable sofa and cruise down the road with one finger on the steering wheel, totally unaware of all those bumps, and grooves and broken pavement on the highway. Try that in those firm, laterally supportive seats of a Porsche with all that wonderful feedback through the steering. When I am behind the wheel of the LeSabre, I just feel good.

Many have complained about the Crossfire’s numb steering. Believe me, you don’t know what numb steering is until you’ve spent a day behind the wheel of a Wrangler. And some have also complained about the notchy shifting of the manual stick Crossfire noting that it’s not as quick shifting as some cars on the road. Well, let me tell you, in my Wrangler I can outshift any eighteen wheeler on the road. And what about driveability and comfort compared to a RUF Porsche. In my Wrangler, every day is an adventure in driving and I can assure you I will never fall asleep at the wheel. And how does the road handling of the Wrangler compare to that of the RUF Porsche? Heck, who needs a road? And what about power and torque? I have yet to see anyone pull stumps on the ranch in their Porsche. When I am behind the wheel of the Wrangler, I just feel good.

And the quad-cab four-by-four pickup? Well, let’s see someone pile the family and the two labs in the Porsche and head to the cattle auction pulling eight full-grown bulls in the cattle trailer. And maneuverability? It’s amusing to look down on the Porsches maneuvering in an out of the traffic on the heighway because they can’t see five miles down the road like I can up in the cab of the pickup. And, although I am not certain, one or two of those bumps in the highway that I ran over may have actually been a Porsche. And when I behave myself well enough so that my wife let’s me drive the pickup (it’s her daily driver), I just feel good behind the wheel.

I think you’re beginning to get my point. The Crossfire just makes me feel good. And it’s fun. And I am willing to bet that is why most of you bought your Crossfire. I know Dan Root has fun in his Crossfire. Heck, he has more fun with his Crossfire just sitting at his keyboard than most of us have sitting behind the wheel of our Crossfires. And can there be any doubt about whether RedCross loves his crossfire? He spends so much time personalizing his Crossfire that it is obvious he is in love. And it’s obvious that MI Roadster not only loves her Crossfire, she loves everyone who drives a Crossfire.

For the very few of you who just don’t feel good sitting behind the wheel of your Crossfire, then I hope that you find something that does make you feel good. I pray that Santa brings Bullseye an Evo for Christmas, because God only knows that we all deserve to feel good behind the wheel of whatever it is that we are driving.

I wish all of you the merriest of holidays, and I hope that throughout the holidays and beyond, may your Crossfire make you feel good.

Alvin

Old 12-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

i gave up an 02' M3 for my crossfire...some would think i was crazy...but not me...i was bored of the M3's style after 2 years. E46 M3's are a dime a dozen in my area...this bothered me...seeing myself at several traffic lights throughout the day.

i have followed the crossfire since seeing the concept at the detroit auto show. i knew i wanted this car due to it's uniqueness, rarity & retro design. i just love this car! sure there are some things i don't like about the crossfire...the steering is horrible as you mentioned...clunk clunk clunk with no real input and lots of slop before true movement takes place. no memory seats...no automatic climate control...door panel creaks to name a few but i still smile every time i drive my personalized crossfire.

my list of mods:

koni sport shocks
eibach springs
h&r wheel spacers (10mm front & 12mm rear)
hid head lights
04' slk black leather shift ****
invinca-shield/xpel 3m clear bra w/ all optional pieces
rotex gold dust free brake pads (front & rear)
k&n filters
cargo logic cargo liner
factory rear cargo cover
debadged
50% window tint
macneil/weathertech mats
macneil clear cover/license plate bracket
painted rear tow hook (black)
piaa blue foglamp bulbs
silvervision turn signal bulbs
european clear front side marker lenses
pulled fuse for rear wing activation
covercraft dustop custom fit car cover

Old 12-20-2004, 05:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alvin, Well said. I don't know why so many are not happy with the CF. I think they want a real sports car, Porsche, with the smoothness or a 4 door sedan, and the speed of a viper. That's not a cf. It was not advertised that way, so I dont know why so many thought it would be.

I traded my 330ci BMw for the CF. Just love the looks and the fact that there are so little of them about. BMW coupes are dime a dosen over here.

What does the car need. To me, really nothing. I have done some of my own touches. Upsolute chip, KN filters, Sat Nav. But other than putting some art work under the spoiler, IE American Flag, this is it.

Old 12-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Thumbs up Re: So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

Originally Posted by AlvinByars

I have been visiting this forum almost daily for the last couple of months. I find it most enjoyable and quite entertaining, and although I know none of you, I feel a kind of closeness to all of you. Among the most entertaining of the posts on this forum are the comparisons between the Crossfire and other automobiles, such as the RUF Porsches, entertaining to the point of silliness. So, I thought I would make some comparisons of my own and ask why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

Alvin:

You certainly made my Xfire feel good! Well done.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 AM

In 6 days I will have had mine for a year. Still love the car and of course I am glad I got it. I like it just the way it is for exactly what it is. The only thing I have changed in my car is the oil once.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Banned

Well said Alvin,I think you just described THE CROSSFIRE feeling that other cars just don't have anymore !Have Merry X-mas ,I'll be in Dallas for the holidays .

One thing if DC puts another 40 HP in the Crossfire ,they could cancel the SRT6.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Thumbs up Re: So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

I have to agree that my Crossfire Limited Coupe has made driving a JOY again. Years of putting up with more practical vehicles had pretty much reduced driving to a chore. Initially, I fell in love the car's styling. When I finally went for a test drive, I thought I couldn't afford one.
(I teach high school). Then I put an XF thru a curve at 60 mph and I knew I HAD to have one.
My wife saw my reaction to driving it and agreed immediately.

I have had my XF since the first week in August and continue to love every minute I spend in it. I keep hearing complaints about it being underpowered. Personally, I have no desire to drag at stop lights. My concern is how quickly i can get around cars going 45 to 55 on a winding road, and I have never been disappointed in the response of my Crossfire. Every time I walk up to it and unlock it, I grin.

2004 Crossfire Limited
Red w/ grey leather

Old 12-20-2004, 01:21 PM

Excellent post Alvin! Determining a cars worth is a subjective experience and as long as it makes you feel good, then it's worth it! On the "numb" steering comment, I've never really understood what reviewers are talking about with the numb steering. Take for instance my wife's new Prius. The steering in the Prius is completely computer controlled and most likely the steering wheel doesn't even connect with the front axle. I think the steering of the Prius feels great! Maybe it's because I'm used to playing computer games which have no feedback whatsoever (unless you count vibrations from force feedback) but I really like the way the steering feels. Same can be said of the Crossfire. I turn the wheel, the car turns. What else do you really need?
While I'm on the subject, how does the Toyota Prius compare to the RUF Porsche? Well, sometimes I like the ablility to drive for 400+ miles on one 10 gallon tank of gas while using voice activated commands for navigation, radio and climate control.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Smile Re: So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

Originally Posted by mjanowich
Excellent post Alvin! .
Dan, you rascal. Now look what you have went and done. My name is not Alvin. As I recall Alvin was one of those chipmunks. I am some other person entirely.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mjanowich
Excellent post Alvin! Determining a cars worth is a subjective experience and as long as it makes you feel good, then it's worth it! On the "numb" steering comment, I've never really understood what reviewers are talking about with the numb steering. Take for instance my wife's new Prius. The steering in the Prius is completely computer controlled and most likely the steering wheel doesn't even connect with the front axle. I think the steering of the Prius feels great! Maybe it's because I'm used to playing computer games which have no feedback whatsoever (unless you count vibrations from force feedback) but I really like the way the steering feels. Same can be said of the Crossfire. I turn the wheel, the car turns. What else do you really need?
While I'm on the subject, how does the Toyota Prius compare to the RUF Porsche? Well, sometimes I like the ablility to drive for 400+ miles on one 10 gallon tank of gas while using voice activated commands for navigation, radio and climate control.
Hey I should have race my Insight against a Ruf Porsche only one rule 1 tank of gas .Whoever goes the longest WINS.

Old 12-21-2004, 06:20 PM

Gosh Darnit! Hearing all these wonderful things about the car makes me remember why I bought the thing! I've been so confused weather or not to get something else. I thought I was swaying to offload the Xfire.
My opinion changes depending on which thread I read.

No comments please on being an indecisive woman.

Old 12-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member
Wink Re: So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

If you MUST get rid of something......................................... ......................
Get rid of an old pair of shoes..............NOT the XF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the MAIN thing I love is the "Exclusiveness of Ownership"...........

I love the feeling knowing that MOST folks have never seen one, don't have the foggiest what they cost or where they come from and are instantly envious of those that do!

You get Super Car praise at an affordable investment!

I don't think I was neglected as a child and am now seeking attention...................OR????

Old 12-21-2004, 07:04 PM

Ok im not trying to flame anyone here. But I must say it. You do mean Buick LeSabre right? Because there isnt a Oldmobile LeSabre. However the Olds equivalent, would be the Delta 88.

I do hope Santa brings me an EVO. That would make me very happy. And yes I do get the attention you all talk about, strangers coming up to me and saying what a nice car. But to be honest I could really care less. It does nothing for me. The opinion that matters most is mine, and I am not satisfied. I have been on a horrible cycle ever since I had to sell my E46 m3, that car I absolutely loved. But at the time after losing my job and having a 996/mo payment, my love could only go so far. I guess you can say the M3 spoiled me, personally Andrew I dont know how you could have gotten rid of your M3 for a XF. I see about as many m3's on the road as i do crossfires. Also the compliments for the m3 were quite plentiful. If you havn't driven an M3 i recommend doing so.

My friend was a die hard corvette fan, and when i told him i bought the m3 over the z06, he did nothing but raz me. Now he says once he can afford an m3 he will buy one. He said there definetely is more than to a car than speed and the m3 has it all. The crossfire has some of these factors but is missing some key ingredients such as power, and a lil' elbow room.

Just my .02

Old 12-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Banned
Wink Re: So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

Originally Posted by GoodEnough
Gosh Darnit! Hearing all these wonderful things about the car makes me remember why I bought the thing! I've been so confused wether or not to get something else. I thought I was swaying to offload the Xfire.
My opinion changes depending on which thread I read.

No comments please on being an indecisive woman.

No comment on your indecisivnessssssssssssstttttt, I think you should try all the cars you think you want.Then you'll feel better.

Ps, I think you'd look great in a trash can with wheels.

Old 12-21-2004, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
No comment on your indecisivnessssssssssssstttttt, I think you should try all the cars you think you want.Then you'll feel better.

Ps, I think you'd look great in a trash can with wheels.
::Cough:: out of your league ::cough::

Old 12-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye
I see about as many m3's on the road as i do crossfires.
in ohio suburbs i truly see at least 8 M3's to every crossfire. i saw 2 M3's in the salt covered roads yesterday.

my next car is a new e55. i just like change every 2 years or so...i get bored easily...even of an M3.

Old 12-22-2004, 01:37 PM
kez

thinking of getting one for my wife she keeps going on how she likes them and i agree they are a lovely car and sound awesome, best get her one as shes getting too confident in my skyline lol, thats why i have joined the forum to find out as much as i can about them

Old 12-22-2004, 03:33 PM

Well. . .I had a budget of $30K (there goes the Porsche).
I wanted the sportiest car I could afford (there went the RSX).
I wanted a CHANCE that the car would get me to work in the snow (there went the RX8).
Quiet except for the feeling of being on the road (no convertible, out goes the Z)

Left with the Eclipse (no safety features) and the Crossfire. Guess which one looks, drives and simply FEELS the best!!!

Old 12-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Forum Regular

I originally was going to get a BMW 330 or something along those lines. I really love BMWs. I always had a secret desire for a 2 seater coupe though. I had the issue of my trade in, which was a Dodge Neon I bought at my neighbors dealership. I actually was at the BMW dealership and I signed all the paperwork.. Then there was a problem. I owed money on the Dodge, and I couldn't get approved for the BMW until I paid the Dodge off, or got a cosigner. So I got a cosigner and I was going to sell the Dodge myself.

Then it turns out my insurance company won't insure me if my car is cosigned. And I can't go to another insurance company because mine is by far the cheapest (and hardest to get) in NJ, where auto insurance is VERY expensive. SOO my only option would be to sell the Dodge myself, then buy the BMW. I can't trade it in because the quoted price was ludicris. I hate selling cars myself but I was going to have my unemployed brother do it and pay him a commission.. meanwhile I'd be driving the BMW but anyway none of this worked out.

Anyway so then I call my neighbor who owns the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth/Jeep dealership, and he knows I have always wanted a BMW. Turns out he ends up giving me a killer deal on the Crossfire.

#6060, black 6 speed
Leased, base price = $29,500
370 month for 39 months, 15,000 miles per year
Residual = 18,500 (ill negotiate it lower if I want to buy it)

Price also included tint for free. Then he also told Chrysler that it was a demo vehicle with 500 miles (which was BS). Because it was a demo vehicle, they get a special reimbursement from Chrysler and they can sell the car cheaper. So basically I got an extra 500 miles over the course of my lease, and thats how I got it under cost.

This was actually a killer deal at the time when the Crossfire first came out, so I couldn't pass it up. It was great because for months I was the solo Crossfire on the road.. Oh and he gave me more than double what BMW would for the trade in. Thats because Neons are a lot more valuable to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer than a BMW dealer. Plus he's my friend so he would hook me up regardless, but this was really cheap at the time. Even though I didn't necessarily want a Crossfire, the looks, speed, handling, and of course THE DEAL, were all too much to resist. I know they sell for even less now.. sad.

My only gripe is I'm so goddamn big and tall, 6'3 and 1/2, about 250 pounds, its a tight squeeze, but comfy enough. Another inch taller and I'd never fit. The only thing I can't do is sit up perfectly straight, but who actually drives like that? Even so, most people think I should be driving a truck or something like that. I just don't like trucks and stuff. Small cars are more fun. I like speed and manueverability. I will say that most other coupes that are bigger on the outside have relatively the same interior space.. the BMW 6 series is just as tight for me. The SL 55 AMG is almost as tight, just barely more room.

Last edited by NJspeed69; 12-22-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 149 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm 13 years late ! Abeit the timelyness of this post, it's uniqueness, retro design, and in the case of the SRT6 rarity.
Graphite grey coupes aren't too plentiful these days. The Crossfire numbers in comparison to most cars are low, and the SRT should become even more collectible as years go by. Estimate approx 400 Graphite coupes, the roadster half as many.

Quick Reply: So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?