Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Where did the ATF go?

Old 09-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did the ATF go?

The transmission in my 2004 coupe (32,000+ miles) finally went into limp-in mode last week after intermittent shifting problems over the last three months. Pulled the infamous P0715 code indicating no speed sensor signal. After draining the fluid (which was almost black) and dropping the pan and valve block, I installed a new conductor plate, electrical socket, filter, and pan gasket. I initially drained 5 quarts of ATF and put back an equal amount of Shell 134 ATF. Had the car towed to a transmission shop that reset the fault codes (free of charge!). On the way home the trans shifted fine but a bit slowly. Assuming that it was sufficiently warm after a 40-minute drive home, I checked the trans fluid level (with the engine running of course) and saw absolutely nothing on the dipstick. I added a quart of ATF, took it for a ride to keep the trans hot, and checked it again when I got home. There was only around 10mm of ATF on the dipstick. I put in another quart, test drove, and got a reading about 10mm under the full mark on the dipstick. Before the first fill I noticed that the lock tab on the filler pipe was black indicating that it had never been removed. I assume this meant that ATF had never been added before I got the car. It appears that I've been driving the car for the last two years with the trans down at least two quarts of ATF. In any case, the transmission shifts beautifully now. I plan to drain the fluid again and add more fresh ATF.