Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

"Need some advice"

Old 12-31-2004, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up "Need some advice" plz leave your views

Hi names Tom,

Looking at the crossfire to buy and i think that they are very nice cars, nice looks and interior features, however people say that there not very good cars and look horrible, i caught jermey clarkson on top gear a while back on that DVD (shoot out) and he said that the crossfire wasn't good enough to be on his dvd and i wanted to know if you could tell me if they were as bad as what he states, what you think of em i.e. speed, comfort more importanly, what they like on fuel as well, any advice would be great and helping me make a dissusion thanks

Last edited by turbotom123; 12-31-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: "Need some advice"

Having a Crossfire is like having something that others don't have. It's great to have exclusivity and uniqueness when you're driving your Crossfire. With regards to speed..215 HP is just enough for me to cruise around. Well, once you get your first Crossfire speeding ticket..the rest of the speed trip is gone but the styling lives.

It's about style when you own a Crossfire which also makes you different because your taste is more refine, elegant and artistic. As you can see..most cars just look the same boxy cars where their identity is only on the brand and not in the style.

Crossfires, Hummer, Audi, Lambhorgini, Ferrari, Porsche belonged in a different category of style compare to others. Of course if you want speed then dont sell your Crossfire...put a Kleeman or Reentech on it for 15-20 gran and you're already way ahead from the rest plus a great style.

Last edited by Cyril Baldwin; 12-31-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular

If you can afford it and want a bit of class the get the Crossfire but if you want to play safe then get an RX8, 350Z or even dare I say it a TT.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:41 AM

Tom

It’s like buying a lovely piece of art, except you get to drive around in it. I still find myself looking back to admire the beast after I park it or go to pay for petrol. Everyone gives this car a second look, which is more than I can say for most other cars, even the 350z, which is rather standard sports styling apart from outstandingly ugly door handles. The crossfire is lovely to drive, with beautiful mid range pull and performance right where it is needed. It has its quirks, but I kind of love them as well. Finally Clarkson is a bit of a pratt who contradicts himself frequently and sprouts utter rubbish in order to get a reaction – something most of us grew out of in our teens.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Re: "Need some advice"

Hello Turbo,from my own experience with cars I've had . 91 NSX being the best example of my experience, I put the Crossfire near the top for driving everyday or just running thru a canyon.For the $$s spent it's better than all I've owned ! That includes the NSX at twice the price new.

It may be because you're only 20 years old that you're not sure ! But take it from most people here myself included that have been driving longer than you've been BREATHING !The CROSSFIRE is a Modern Classic .And may not truly be recognized until it's not built anymore.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-01-2005, 01:25 PM

Hey Tom,

When I began looking for a sports car I never even thought about a Crossfire.....until my Youth Pastor got to drive one for a loaner (Our church van was being worked on so the GM at the dealer gave him the CF for the day) Through some unfortunate accidents (not the CF) and scheduling I had to drive the CF. I WAS HOOKED!!!!
* The styling both inside and out is a work of art, IMO. I really enjoy the cockpit feel and the lines of the car are refined, low swept and just darn good lookin!
* The price is right for what you get. My 2004 listed for $35K and I got it for around $26K. The luggage is a nice bennie.
* Driving is something you have to experience. Plenty of acceleration, great handling and at 115MPH (hope to break that soon) it is as smooth as glass.
* The car to me (5'10, 190lbs, 43yo) is extremely comfortable.
* No there are not a lot of aftermarket items yet but I expect that to change. Just look at this forum and all the things drivers have done to theirs.
* Lastly, I would say I wanted a daily driver. So gas mileage was on my mind. My Auto trans runs around 25 to 26 mpg all the time and that is with me playing NASCAR on the backroads.
Hope to see your new CF listed soon.

Last edited by luke646; 01-02-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Forum Regular

Forget clarkson and top gear its just an entertainment show not a real motoring programme anymore, try and catch tiff's review on fifth gear, it wasn't glowing but was a fair review.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:54 AM

thanks for your advice tea Drinker, i thik there lovely prehaps i should not listen to people and go with my instinct, thx
Originally Posted by Tea Drinker
Tom

It’s like buying a lovely piece of art, except you get to drive around in it. I still find myself looking back to admire the beast after I park it or go to pay for petrol. Everyone gives this car a second look, which is more than I can say for most other cars, even the 350z, which is rather standard sports styling apart from outstandingly ugly door handles. The crossfire is lovely to drive, with beautiful mid range pull and performance right where it is needed. It has its quirks, but I kind of love them as well. Finally Clarkson is a bit of a pratt who contradicts himself frequently and sprouts utter rubbish in order to get a reaction – something most of us grew out of in our teens.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Forum Regular

Tom, if you are in the UK mine is for sale (pics in the link below). I need a 4 door car due to works company car policy, otherwise I wouldn't be selling it. It is a great car.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:10 PM

Tom,

Might as well get the story from both sides. I am unhappy with the crossfire, in fact wish I never signed the lease, all i can say is that I am glad, that i didnt buy the thing, because the car is losing its value like crazy, at least i can walk out of this car after a couple more years. If looks are your only the concern, look no further, I myself being 21 thought i could just get by with the so-so power, and stick with the upper class looks. I was wrong. I avg around 16-17mpg, the car takes quite a bit much effort to stay ahead of the pack, or keep up with it that matter, 3-4k constant shifts is not unheard of. If you have any true performance lust in you blood run away from the crossfire, because this is not your car. The crossfire is pretty slow. Cash would be better invested in a G35 coupe. More power and yet you still have the high class look, if thats important. The crossfire does get many looks, and starts conversations, conversations with great looking young women, I think not. LOL More like middle aged men about to go through their middle life crisis. And an occasional ex-yuppie in his 325i. Thats really about all that compliment come from or ask about it. My 03 Cobra got just as much as attention, but from the younger and older crowd alike. And the power was beyond great. But I am hugely biased towards cars that can perform, and I need that oomph to please me more than looks. And that is where the crossfire lacks. As someone else stated a TT would be a great choice, they are becoming quite cheap just a year or so old. Well jmpo. Have fun and choose wisely. Don't rush into it like i did and regret your purchase.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:34 AM

Bullseye, I thought the Crossfire is fast enough for you after having beaten a WRX Sti in a race. That's fast enough for me when someone posted a kill specially with a WRX Sti.

Regarding Clarkson, he's the kind of guy that keyed off Saldous and Mighty's Crossfire...just a plain loser with no sense of art and styling at all. Majority of people who buys a car looks at the styling first and won't mind much on how fast it runs.

I was sold out with the 350Z when I first saw it but when I saw the Crossfire...it's all about the style, personality and design that fits my lifestyle. Buying a car is all about how it will fit in your lifestyle and what you feel about your car. If you're for economy then buy a Honda Civic...if it's about speed buy a 2005 Mustang GT/ 350Z/WRX STi...if its all about the style and exclusitivity...then buy a Crossfire or a Ferrari.

Last edited by Cyril Baldwin; 01-03-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cyril Baldwin
Bullseye, I thought the Crossfire is fast enough for you after having beaten a WRX Sti in a race. That's fast enough for me when someone posted a kill specially with a WRX Sti.

Regarding Clarkson, he's the kind of guy that keyed off Saldous and Mighty's Crossfire...just a plain loser with no sense of art and styling at all. Majority of people who buys a car looks at the styling first and won't mind much on how fast it runs.

I was sold out with the 350Z when I first saw it but when I saw the Crossfire...it's all about the style, personality and design that fits my lifestyle. Buying a car is all about how it will fit in your lifestyle and what you feel about your car. If you're for economy then buy a Honda Civic...if it's about speed buy a 2005 Mustang GT/ 350Z/WRX STi...if its all about the style and exclusitivity...then buy a Crossfire or a Ferrari.
You obviously never read my post all the way through, he and his STi were on his way in bending the crossfire over and about to rape it, until he missed his shift. ONLY reason why i beat it. If he hit that shift i would have been smoked so bad, Hiroshima comes to mind. Read my other posts I was out gunned by a Legacy.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:04 AM

Was that when you miss your shift too? :lol: If its the driver then you're better off with your Crossfire as 300 HP don't matter when your driving skills are not built for it.

Maybe its the same thing that happened to me when I smoked one Z4 and 2 RX8's in the stoplight. They should go to driving school then to enjoy their fast cars or else they can just be eating my dust.

Last edited by Cyril Baldwin; 01-05-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:17 AM

By the way, I wonder why " The Apprentice " didn't choose a 350Z, WRX or an RX8 in their show prize instead of a Crossfire if the car don't have any appeal at all?

Old 01-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Forum Regular

I would never drive any other 2 seater, although there are cars I like better, they all cost a boatload more money. The value created for the price you pay is way beyond everything else I've seen.

BTW this car starts conversations with EVERYONE, not just middle aged guys. LOL to whoever said that! I'll never forget one of the first days I had this car I was picking up drycleaning and this SLAMMIN HOT ***** walks up and starts talking to me about the car. Too bad my girlfriend was in the passenger seat or I would have taken this ho for a ride. Anyway that was just one instance I remember because I had just gotten the car. People talk to me about it all the time.. and always say good things. I really think a good number of people think its way more expensive than it really is. I started a new job in September and ever since I got here, people think I'm like some friggin super successfull billionaire cuz I have one. Well I'm successful but certainly not anywhere near wealthy as people assume I must be since I "drive a car like THAT". BTW as a financial advisor it really helps my image with other people too. I'm 25.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:00 PM

Cool! ... a talking dog! Surely your girlfriend didn't object to you taking a talking dog for a ride.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Forum Regular

Not at all. BTW heres another funny story.

Last week I pulled into a Hess gas station around 9pm, and this guy in a truck at the pump opposite mine JUMPS out of his car and starts flippin out like "OMG what the hell kind of car is this!!!" and I told him its the Crossfire, he's like whats that!!!!.. it's a Chrysler. Anyway it turns out this guy thought I was driving the new BENTLEY COUPE, yes, thats right. LOL, seriously he was going nuts! Then a few days later I saw the new Bentley Coupe on the interstate, and it looks very similar. The entire shape of the car is like a stretched out Crossfire. The backs are almost exact. Check it out.

http://www.automobilemag.com/gallery...al_gt_03_z.jpg

Taking a look at this first picture, I can easily see how he'd mistake a black crossfire with HIDs for the Bentley. It was at night.

http://www.automobilemag.com/gallery...al_gt_02_z.jpg

As you can see, the shape of the rear half of the car is VERY similar to xfire, especially how the fenders flare out above the rear wheels.

I believe the Bentley also has a moving wing similar to ours?

Old 01-04-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cyril Baldwin
Was that when you miss your shift too? :lol: If its the driver then you're better off with your Crossfire as 300 HP don't matter when your driving skills are not built for it.

Maybe its the same thing that happened to me then beating up one Z4 and 2 RX8's in the redlight. They should go to driving school then to enjoy their cars.
Now just imagine me with a 300 hp sti, in how much better I can do.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:20 PM

Can someone help me please. I test drove the Crossfire and the TT yesterday. They both seem very similar but the Audi costs much more. What should i buy?

Old 01-04-2005, 08:21 PM

Good luck and enjoy your 300 HP. Just don't forget that the speed limit's only 70 MPH.

As for me, I'll keep enjoying the great Crossfire class and styling ( better than the Bentley coupe) - PRICELESS!