Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Grrrr Someone Scratched Up My Car

Old 01-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grrrr Someone Scratched Up My Car

As some of you know I'm looking to sell my car as company car policy says I need 4 doors.

So, next weekend I was planning to give her a nice wash and take some new pics for the advert. However... last night some idiot has keyed my car. And, not just keyed one panel, but 7 of them!!!! Only the roof, front bumper and boot lid remain untouched. There are scratches all over it. I'm really PI***D OFF.

It does however look like quite light damage as I don't think it has gone through to the paint, just the lacquer. Does anyone know how much a repair of this scale could cost me? My insurance excess is £400 so I need to know if I should pay myself or claim on insurance. I've contacted a few mobile repair companies and I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

I'll take some pics tomorrow morning in the light and post them so you can see.

GGGGGGGGRrrrrrrrrrrrr, why do people do this!!

Old 01-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Grrrr Someone Scratched Up My Car

Sorry To Hear That Is Some Chicken **** A!!hole .let Your Insurance Know It's Under Comp.might Be No Deductable.....

Old 01-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Forum Regular

Hope it doesn't cost too much mate. Is your insurance protected?

Old 01-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Forum Regular

Phoned the insurance company today. Repair garage will contact me tomorrow to arrange to look at it to cost the repairs. It is covered, however my Excess is £450 so if it costs less than £500 I'll just have to pay it as it isn't worth loosing my no-claims. Any more and it will be done on insurance. There is hardly a panel un-scratched. B@S%$!s

Old 01-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Forum Regular

It should be less than £400 depending if any of the marks get down to the paint, if so then best to pay yourself rather than dent the insurance, even if its protected the base policy will rise if you claim.

Sorry to hear about it mate, it really sucks, probably someone with a really pants car!

Old 01-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Forum Regular

I'd say ante up the 500 and get the whole damn car painted with the most expensive paintjob you can get. Just make sure it's their most expensive, and a better paintjob than stock.

It's gonna cost you near to 500 anyway, no point in saving a hundred or two hundred, just to have the scratches painted over, when you could pay the whole thing and get the car painted like new. No swirls, no scratches anywhere, etc.

That's pretty sweet to tell a prospective buyer.. "Well I had a couple of scratches so instead of covering them up, I gave it a whole new candy metallic graphite paintjob with 3 layers of clearcoat! Stock only had 1 layer of clearcoat. Lucky for me, and for you, that my insurance paid for it! Haha.."

Maybe you can get that 500 back when you sell it.

Last edited by NJspeed69; 01-03-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Forum Regular

Pics of the damage attached below.

(images are uploading but not showing...)
------------
EDIT
------------

Take a look in my gallery, I've uploaded them there now.

Last edited by saldous; 01-04-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:34 PM

nice thought, but insurance will only pay to restore the car to original condition. any amount in excess of that he will have to pay on top of the 500

Old 01-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Forum Regular

No, you are wrong. I will pay £450 and the insurance covers the rest of the repair. (that's how it works in the UK anyway)

Old 01-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular

Buckeyedad42 is referring to the fact that insurance will only pay the amount required to get your car back to original condition minus your deductible. If you wanted to have a custom paint job as NJSpeed69 suggested, you would be responsible for the additional cost of the custom work over what it would cost to restore you car to factory condition. If the car can be fixed for $1500, and you wanted a $5000 paint job, you would be responsible for the extra $3500.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Forum Regular

ah, ok. I don't want a custom job, back the way it was is all I want.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Forum Regular

Have you gotten an estimate yet? It's hard to tell from the pictures, but from some of them it looks like the scratches are through the clear and into the paint. Therefore the panels will have to be repainted and recleared, which will probably run quite a bit more than your deductible. Hopefully not though.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Angry Re: Grrrr Someone Scratched Up My Car

Originally Posted by saldous
ah, ok. I don't want a custom job, back the way it was is all I want.
It almost brought tears to my eyes when I looked at your pictures.... then I saw the hood!!!

WTF... you don't have any idea who did this? I wouldn't sleep for days, just trying to figure out who did it.

Makes me mad that people are like that... okay it pisses me off!

I know it doesn't help your situation any but damn I feel for you.
Sorry...

Old 01-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Forum Regular

No quotes yet. I'm out of the country today so I hope to get it looked at tomorrow. Yes the hood they have tried to write something. Looks like they were trying to write "RICH" but were either drunk or couldn't spell !! No idea who did it, not a clue. What gets me is that I was in bed less than 150 yards away while it was on my drive when it happened and I didn't hear a thing. I've asked neighbours and they didn't hear anything or see anyone suspicious.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Banned
Thumbs down Re: Grrrr Someone Scratched Up My Car

The ultimate negative responce of the Crossfires Classic looks. Sorry again.This is done usually by kids.JEALOUS .

Old 01-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Forum Regular

I sent the pics to a modile repair chap and he said it looks like all panels will need to be painted, i.e. they can not be saved / repaired. He said the rough cost is £1,000+VAT. I'm taking it to the insurance company garage tomorrow lunch for their quote.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:05 PM

He is right on the above insurance info-they will only put you back into your original condition less deductible, otherwise it is called "Betterment" and you would be required to pick up the difference. I used to be a claims adjuster, and I have been in law enforcement for over 13 years. I am almost certain it works the same in the UK as it does in the USA.

Sorry to hear it my friend. People who do this kind of damage are weak and stupid. Has happened to me as well on previous vehicles.

ruzo

Old 01-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with Dan Root - JEALOUSY not from just kids but from cops too! Watch out 'cause they'll get you whenever you run on yellow light.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ruzo
He is right on the above insurance info-they will only put you back into your original condition less deductible, otherwise it is called "Betterment" and you would be required to pick up the difference. I used to be a claims adjuster, and I have been in law enforcement for over 13 years. I am almost certain it works the same in the UK as it does in the USA.

Sorry to hear it my friend. People who do this kind of damage are weak and stupid. Has happened to me as well on previous vehicles.

ruzo
Like I said, I don't want anything different than before. I was happy with the standard Graphite colour.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Forum Regular

OK, back from the garage. They also say they can't be repaired, scratched too deep. Re-paint required. Insurance guy reconds £1k+ as well. Oh well. It is booked in for the 15th Jan.

Quick Reply: Grrrr Someone Scratched Up My Car