Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Oil level Indicator higher than normal ?

Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level Indicator higher than normal ?

Hi there....

Recently I bought a 06 limited with currently 71K on the clock and was time for a oil change.

Mobile 1 0w 40W + new filter was used.

Of course driving around is fine, oil indicator is just below the mid level. But when idle after a few mins it's were you can see it in the below pic. A/C is off.

Inspecting the AC/Fan, it does engage and blow air into the engine, once it drops down a little it switches off and comes back on when rises.

6 hrs later after letting the car sit I started and let it idle for 20mins ( revving it a little and having AC on for few mins ) in the below pic is were it seemed to level off.

Oil Level check says OK, 7.8 quarts was put in, Oil stick shows level to be at the max.

So I ask ? is this "normal" or should I be a little concerned ? I think it could be the fan kicking in at higher temps or maybe the sensor is bad ?

If it is bad can anyone who lives in Denver CO recommend a shop or mechanic that can fix the issue ?

Any advice is appreciated.....

Last edited by F900EX; 11-02-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: Oil level Indicator higher than normal ?

Normal. You have nothing to worry about. Your idling it will rise to about that point, when your moving it will go down. Once it gets below 40 outside it will barely go near the the middle line while driving.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by F900EX
Hi there....

Recently I bought a 06 limited with currently 71K on the clock and was time for a oil change.

Of course driving around is fine, oil indicator is just below the mid level. But when idle after a few mins it's were you can see it in the below pic. A/C is off.

Inspecting the AC/Fan, it does engage and blow air into the engine, once it drops down a little it switches off and comes back on when rises.

6 hrs later after letting the car sit I started and let it idle for 20mins ( revving it a little and having AC on for few mins ) in the below pic is were it seemed to level off.

Oil Level check says OK, 7.8 quarts was put in, Oil stick shows level to be at the max.

So I ask ? is this "normal" or should I be a little concerned ? I think it could be the fan kicking in at higher temps or maybe the sensor is bad ?

If it is bad can anyone who lives in Denver CO recommend a shop or mechanic that can fix the issue ?

You have posted a pic of your temp and fuel guages My advise is read the manual (where's 180 when you need him?)

Old 11-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Hi there....

Oil level alarm is a warning light that comes on when level gets out of range. This will come on both for low & over-fill conditions (fairly certain about this).

As stated earlier, the gauge reading on the left is actually engine temperature, which is important, and will climb to indicate normal operating condition.

Curious why you poured in 7.8 quarts of oil during oil change. Most everyone adds the full 8 quarts, since the manual calls for liters instead of quarts. 8 quarts is just shy of the recommended oil fill. And I don't know of anyone that had any issues being slightly under.

Later,

Old 11-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

My car takes 8.5 quarts to put exactly at the full line. 04 NA. Your temperature gauge shows everything normal.

James

Old 11-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, I guess I am missing something. If you drain every bit of oil out of the engine, it will take 8 1/2 quarts to bring it back to level. I still drain mine the old fashion way. I let it drip after I warm the engine for a good half hour. The gauges shown is fuel and temp, so where did the oil level come into the equation?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Ok, I guess I am missing something. If you drain every bit of oil out of the engine, it will take 8 1/2 quarts to bring it back to level. I still drain mine the old fashion way. I let it drip after I warm the engine for a good half hour. The gauges shown is fuel and temp, so where did the oil level come into the equation?
Originator of this thread thought the engine temp gauge was oil level indicator. Just some confusion in the beginning. No big deal.

And yes, the M-B spec calls for 8 LITERS of oil for an oil change. That is essentially 8.5 QUARTS of oil. I just mentioned that quite a few XFire Owners simply add 8 quarts w/o any issues. Saves having a 1/2 quart of oil stored in the garage (MHO).

And like you, I drain the oil from the pan underneath rather than siphon the oil out using a pump. Running the engine for 20-30 minutes is a good practice as the oil will drain much easier from a warm engine compared to a cold engine.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 11-02-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
...(where's 180 when you need him?)
Actually, the absence of sarcasm is refreshing for a change.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 11-02-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Default Re: Oil level Temp higher than normal ?

Sorry should of been titled the above... long day and late night.

Oil was emptied for about 20mins with the car been run for 30mins before oil change.

I bought 9 bottles so I was expecting to use them all, but if the stick is telling me it's topped with oil, no reason to keep adding it.

If this is normal for the Crossfire then I'm fine, but during the summer it was not indicating where it shows on the 1st pic, it was either just a tad below the mid level temp or right on it, but not slightly above it.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry should of been titled the above... long day and late night.

Oil was emptied for about 20mins with the car been run for 30mins before oil change.

I bought 9 bottles so I was expecting to use them all, but if the stick is telling me it's topped with oil, no reason to keep adding it.

If this is normal for the Crossfire then I'm fine, but during the summer it was not indicating where it shows on the 1st pic, it was either just a tad below the mid level temp or right on it, but not slightly above it.
I only put 8 qts. in mine and it takes it to the fill line. Good you didn't put 9 qts. in as the manual says 8.5 qts.

Last edited by Bill F; 11-02-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
After filling, did you run the car so the oil can circulate, wait for it to cool and recheck it?
What Bill just stated. These are top siders so the oil has to get back into the filter. You should run it, let it cool and settle down, then check it again.... How you drain it, will have an affect as well. I jack mine up to make sure I have the car tilted to the drain plug as much as possible....

Old 11-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Concerning the water temperature gauge, normal. My car is at 205º when it shows a tick above half like the photo. When the A/C is on the fan electric fan runs which will cool the water in the radiator lowering the needle a tick. Again, normal. What's a bit strange is the needle will stay a tick above half way mark until around 235º and then jump up to 3/4 all at once.

Les

Old 11-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Well it would appear I have bigger problems.

Without any further oil been added and car driven for about 15mins with you can see were the oil level is on the stick.

But as you can see in the 2nd pic there is a leak, it would appear it originates around the top left of the bottom engine cover. I was told about it yesterday, but it was dry and not "wet" like it is now.

Again if anyone has suggestions other than a Chrysler dealer I can take it to in Denver as they don't appear to have great reviews, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by F900EX; 11-02-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:59 PM

well, without more photos I will take a stab at this. If the valve cover, first just try to tighten the bolts. If they were loose then this may seal it. If not, then they will need new gaskets. If the smaller covers on top, then you will have to use rtv sealer on those, as there are no gaskets. This is an easy fix for any mechanic, or you can do this as well. I would never take this car to a dealer, never. A good mom and pop shop can do this repair.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
well, without more photos I will take a stab at this. If the valve cover, first just try to tighten the bolts. If they were loose then this may seal it. If not, then they will need new gaskets. If the smaller covers on top, then you will have to use rtv sealer on those, as there are no gaskets. This is an easy fix for any mechanic, or you can do this as well. I would never take this car to a dealer, never. A good mom and pop shop can do this repair.

Thanks for your suggestion, as I don't know enough about the engine/car I'd rather take it to a mechanic that knows what hes doing, I'm hoping someone who lives in Denver that owns a Crossfire can chime in and recommend and place for me to take it too, dealer would be my last choice.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Well I'm at a loss for words... I go back out to take more pictures of the "leak" at the same location it's bone dry

Old 11-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

If I understand the pic correctly, you have water in the lower engine cover and it has dried. No way that oil of that amount would just go away.

James

Old 11-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Next time, stick your finger down there and see what it is - I agree, it had to have been water.
The photos don't even look like the same car!!!

And the slow leak from the covers is SO common... Itsky might know of a local shop he'd trust - if you can find a small shop somewhere known for Mercedes experience, and if people seem to like them - THERE is your "service department" - not a dealer!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:59 PM

Well it looked like oil to me, the engine was not started or the car moved, the weather/temp was the same. I don't get how something so appears to be so wet can just disappear like that. The pictures were taken within 1 hour of each other. If it is water were did it come from ? Yesterday when they removed that bottom engine cover only in the top left was there oil, rest was dry plus it has not rained here in a few days.

I can assure you Pizzaguy its the same car ....

Last edited by F900EX; 11-02-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:58 AM

Well that's definitely water and not oil, possibly leaking from the water pump. Also I'm not sure if you realize it, but the "oil level" you've been looking at is not the oil level. It's how hot the engine is. The hotter the engine, the higher the needle rises. Or the water is just from the AC. I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice the coolant level lowering.

Quick Reply: Oil level Indicator higher than normal ?