Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

the problems all came at once ! help! ABS BAS ESP light, engine light, and much more

Old 11-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the problems all came at once ! help! ABS BAS ESP light, engine light, and much more

so out of the blue my car suddenly needs alot of work , engine mounts died, engine light on, , just got the brakes done , and due to them not balancing rotors the sway bar broke off the body when the car began to vibrate under braking. but now my main issue is the ABS and ESP light on , no idea why, my engine light is also on but im thinking it just needs the RCM looked at. which i will deal with. the braking seems fine , just that darn light! and a final symptom which arose yesterday which i don't feel is related , while accelerating from a stop , the second the car goes into second gear and hits 2000 rpm, the car gets a burst of power that hold up until 3000-3100 rpm then resumes normal power band, enough of a power boost it pushes you into your seat slightly . it caught me off guard the first few times. but what a surprise it was! any ideas for my brakes?

Old 11-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Default Re: the problems all came at once ! help! ABS BAS ESP light , engine light, and much

have you had someone read diagnostic codes? that's always the first step.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: the problems all came at once ! help! ABS BAS ESP light , engine light, and much

i was told the they could not diagnose those issues through the obd 2, is this true?

Old 11-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by falshami
i was told the they could not diagnose those issues through the obd 2, is this true?
You can get the engine fault code with a reader thru the OBDII connector under the dash.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Forum Regular

the code we got is this p20cb, and or p0500

Old 11-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

the code we got is this p20cb, and or p0500

P0500 = Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

Don't see a p20cb ??

Here is the complete list of trouble codes for reference

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Old 11-14-2014, 02:42 AM
Forum Regular

how do we figure out which speed sensor has gone out?

Old 11-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Forum Regular

so i took it back to the shop and they claimed it was pack rats ating my cables, they claimed they fixed it. lights are still on , but now she randomly goes into limp mode.. im quite confused and dont know what to do, suggestions guys?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so i took it back to the shop and they claimed it was pack rats ating my cables, they claimed they fixed it. lights are still on , but now she randomly goes into limp mode.. im quite confused and dont know what to do, suggestions guys?

Only one, stop going to that shop.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Non-specific statements annoy me, get them to tell you what cables were damaged.
And "fixed it" tells you nothing - did they put in a new harness or did they just insulate the damaged areas? Did they splice in replacement wires?

The poor training the industry provides for these "technicians" when it comes to electrical problems make it very hard for "technicians" to fix any electrical problem in the car. And yours certainly sounds like electrical problems.

The ABS light can come on due to a weak battery or corroded battery terminals or cables. In fact, a whole LOT of issues can be caused by bad batteries or bad connections to the battery.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 AM
Forum Regular

i thought the same about not going back , but they have treated all my cars well for many years now, they even admitted finally this car was beyond their scope. they also told me after asking that it was the front passenger side speed sensor cable, they simply spliced in new wire, instead of a new harness, the battery seems fine, especially since it was replaced about a year ago, could it be bad so soon? they also said they allowed a newer technician work on my car which isnt reassuring... it has to be an electrical issue. i also disconnected the battery for a minute... the ,abs and esp light still came back on... im at a loss. i fear i may have to take it to the local stealership Monday... cars never given me problems untill this brake job.. and i dont blame the car... or rats

Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When they put the new brakes on did they drill the hole in the pads for the wear sensor, if so then try, or if not this should still work, but a shop should have drilled the hole for the wire
Turn on the car and turn your steering wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right - then center it. Turn it off then back on again and see if it goes away.
What I did when I put new brakes on.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:45 AM

For the bas/esp light

Old 11-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...bas_esp_03.gif

Old 11-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... they even admitted finally this car was beyond their scope. ...
They basically just told you to take it somewhere else. I'm sure you can find an independent Mercedes shop in your area.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular

i had no idea a hole was needed to be drilled , could this be causing all the issues? and i tried the lock to lock thing, didnt help, i am going to take it to the dealership tomorrow, do you guys think a Mercedes shop would be cheaper than the dealer?

Old 11-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I put new pads on and didn't have to drill a hole, the sensor went right back on to the caliper where it was before.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Forum Regular

So update, just drove the car and the lights went off... could it have just needed time to reset, or do you think the issue is simply dormant for a bit?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
I put new pads on and didn't have to drill a hole, the sensor went right back on to the caliper where it was before.
Some pads have the hole some don't.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 AM

Mine will have all of those lights on right after a carwash, but they always go away after 3 trips or on/off cycles.

Quick Reply: the problems all came at once ! help! ABS BAS ESP light, engine light, and much more