Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Spoiler Stuck Open

Old 02-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spoiler Stuck Open

UPDATE: Spoiler Limit Switch has been replaced see post 14.

2004 coupe: I can put the spoiler up with the switch. It goes up but the red light in the switch stays on. When I open & close the hatch then the red light goes out & I can lower the spoiler with the switch. I have also removed the trim over the spoiler motor & tapped on the spoiler motor &
the light goes out & I can then lower the spoiler. This only works for one cycle then the spoiler stays up. It also will go up at 62 mph but does not go down unless I do the above.

Last edited by Red Runner; 03-03-2015 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-03-2015, 06:53 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Spoiler Stuck Open

My first thought is the motor itself has the open. I didn't take the time to look over my motor when I had it out. Can it be disassembled and serviced?

James

Old 02-03-2015, 07:22 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I would be very suspicious of the spoiler limit switch :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (48.2 KB, 244 views)
Old 02-15-2015, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my spoiler. It will go up at 62 and then the light starts blinking on the switch and it wont go down automatically. If I open and shut my rear hatch, the light will go out and I can lower it with switch. It will also go down on its own when I go over 40 and slow down (like it would if it was working properly) If it goes back up when I hit 62, the light will start flashing again and it will be stuck until I raise and shut the hatch again.

To the original poster, you said the limiter switch was loose?? How did you come to that conclusion? I thought you originaly said everything was tight?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by MadCowboydisease
To the original poster, you said the limiter switch was loose?? How did you come to that conclusion? I thought you originaly said everything was tight?
The limit switch turned out to have failed. I cut the wires to the Limit Switch & removed the LS. I then checked the LS for continuity with my ohm meter. I am looking for a replacement LS. The factory LS is a Hartman Serie 193 manufactured in Germany which I can't find at the local electronic shops.

Now that I have cut the LS wires I twisted them together (Closed Sw). The spoiler will go up with the switch or at 65mph but won't come down. I now separate the wires (Open Sw) and use the dash switch to lower the spoiler then turn off the ignition while holding the switch. The wires need to be twisted together or the spoiler will go back up with the ignition on.

Until I replace the LS I am able to have the spoiler down & it goes up when I am above 65 mph. Of course I am stuck with the manual retract and I have the trim panel removed.

Last edited by Red Runner; 03-03-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 AM

Im gonna go with the part at the Chrysler dealership. 35 dollars is cheap enough and I doubt there are different versions of this limiter switch for a crossfire. I guessed the price would be much higher since its basically all Mercedes.

This is good news for me as this is what made me register here in the first place. This post is the only one ive found on this specific issue. Keep me updated if you do something and ill do the same. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Red Runner
The limit switch turned out to have failed. I cut the wires to the Limit Switch & removed the LS. I then checked the LS for continuity with my ohm meter. I am looking for a replacement LS. The factory LS is a Hartman Serie 193 manufactured in Germany which I can't find at the local electronic shops.

The MB parts shop was no help & the Chrysler shop has a switch for $35 but there was no picture or guarantee that it was the correct part.

Now that I have cut the LS wires I twisted them together (Closed Sw). The spoiler will go up with the switch or at 65mph but won't come down. I now separate the wires (Open Sw) and use the dash switch to lower the spoiler then turn off the ignition while holding the switch. The wires need to be twisted together or the spoiler will go back up with the ignition on.

Until I replace the LS I am able to have the spoiler down & it goes up when I am above 65 mph. Of course I am stuck with the manual retract and I have the trim panel removed.

Once I find a LS I will update this post.
After that last post I decided to take off the trim cover and see if I could find that limiter switch and I dont see it. You said on the passenger side of motor assembly? That looks like its just the gears to that side of the motor. I see the plugs there but they appear to be just attached to the gear housing and doesnt look like a switch to me. I dont see any kind of switch in there. I posted a pic of it here

Attached Images
1424016483069.jpg (156.4 KB, 284 views)
Old 02-15-2015, 12:42 PM

I see the plugs there but they appear to be just attached to the gear housing and doesn't look like a switch to me. I don't see any kind of switch in there. I posted a pic of it here
Follow the wires from the black plug to the Limit Switch. Up switch is on the drivers side & Down is on the passenger side. The LS is only about 1/2 square & 3/16 thick. You can check the continuity by unplugging the plug. The spoiler can also be lowered by rotating the motor with a channel lock on the blue lugs of the motor.

Last edited by Red Runner; 02-26-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Inside the red oval....

wing361.jpg

wire061.jpg

Last edited by syfi; 02-15-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:14 PM

INSIDE THE RED OVAL That is the UP limit switch, The Down LS is behind the blue connector. Just follow the wires from the black connector to the DOWN LS.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:15 PM

Ok I see them now. They looked like plugs to me

I bet the up and down switch are sold as a single unit since they both merge into one plug.

Have you removed one of them yet? I cant really see how its attached. It so small and my eyes arent as good as they used to be

Thanks for the replies. Your help is much appreciated.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:53 PM

Have you removed one of them yet? I cant really see how its attached.

The LS has 2 molded pins on the back that go in holes on the mounting plate. I slid a thin plate (xacto knife or razor blade) under the LS & gently pried the switch off of the mounting plate. Only lift a little at a time or you will break a pin on the LS. The pins are located along the side of the switch where the switch arm is located. I broke a pin but since I am going to replace it it doesn't matter.

You are probably right about the 2 switches & plug being sold as a complete assembly.

Last edited by Red Runner; 02-15-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Red Runner

The LS has 2 molded pins on the back that go in holes on the mounting plate. I slid a thin plate (xacto knife or razor blade) under the LS & gently pried the switch off of the mounting plate. Only lift a little at a time or you will break a pin on the LS. The pins are located along the side of the switch where the switch arm is located. I broke a pin but since I am going to replace it it doesn't matter.

You are probably right about the 2 switches & plug being sold as a complete assembly.
Thanks for your help im gonna try to order that from the dealership this week if the price is around 35 bucks.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 AM

Limit Switch Wiring Assembly: PN 5161967-AA Switch MI 01093030 $34.83 is what we need. Since this is the wiring, 2 switches & the plug it is a reasonable price.

Picture is the switch assembly purchased from Chrysler complete with zip ties. Note that the part no A 193 820 35 10 on the package is different. I checked the PN's with MB & they do not have this part or were unable to find it.

I have installed the wiring assembly & have fixed the problem.
EXCEPT: I was unable to figure out how to remove the motor assembly from the spoiler assembly because the shaft that raises the spoiler prevents removing the motor assembly. I didn't replace the UP Limit Switch because there wasn't enough room behind the motor mounting plate to remove the LS metal keeper & I didn't want to destroy the LS removing it. I cut the wire to the UP switch & connected it to the new wiring assembly & saved the new LS. The DN LS was installed into the two mounting holes & glued with E600 adhesive. Here again I couldn't use the metal mounting clip because there was no room between the motor mounting plate & the spoiler assembly.

If someone knows how to remove the Motor Assembly I would like to know. It appears that the entire spoiler assembly is sold as a replacement part.$$$$

Attached Images
2-25-2015 Feb 300A.jpg (52.6 KB, 221 views)
3-3-2015 Pics 285A.jpg (101.2 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by Red Runner; 03-03-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

McMaster-Carr

Type "L"? The actuator bar is bendable. $3. How are the switches attached/mounted?

L Rigid Lever 10 @ 250V AC 0.21" 7779K53 3.03
L Rigid Lever 15 @ 250V AC 0.21" 7779K63 2.93

Last edited by maxcichon; 02-19-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:19 AM

It looked like removing them was gonna be a problem. The switch doesnt blink anymore on ya? Thats great you fixed it. I got real busy at work with this weather and havent had a chance to go to the chrysler dealership to order mine yet. Ill get it this week. Thanks for sharing bud

Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I would be very suspicious of the spoiler limit switch :

What ^ says, adjustments are more likely than a open in this case. Be VERY careful with your (or helpers) fingers around this assembly, for obvious reasons).

Old 03-31-2015, 06:14 PM

I fixed my spoiler problem by taking a small flathead screw driver and pushing the buttons a few times on the limit switch. I didnt realized I fixedit nor was I even trying. I was just tinkering around in there to see how difficult it was gonna be to remove them. Since I havent gotten the new switches yet, I put the cover back on and low and behold the spoiler is working properly for the first time in the year that ive owned this car. Apparently the switch was jammed orsomething? Im not sure but it works all good now. Yay! Thanks for the help. I didnt know where to to look for the problem until I found this thread. Much appreciated.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They told me I needed a new motor as the switches were gone. $423.00 - I said I just read that the switches are available separately but they don't show in their Canadian parts breakdown. I just called them with this # and they have them in Toronto and I will get it for next week. And the same price!! $34.80 CDN.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Reliableron
They told me I needed a new motor as the switches were gone. $423.00 - I said I just read that the switches are available separately but they don't show in their Canadian parts breakdown. I just called them with this # and they have them in Toronto and I will get it for next week. And the same price!! $34.80 CDN.
See the other thread started by Reliableron and in it I say that it is a wheel speed sensor problem.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Stuck Open