Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

The Crossfire has become a very dangerous vehicle to drive

Old 01-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Crossfire has become a very dangerous vehicle to drive

After about three hours away from the dealership for the popping out of gear 6-speed manual transmission, my Coupe has already popped out of gear 3 times and getting into reverse and first has become harder than ever. I do not think that doing anything else to the car will fix my problem--the transmission was better off not getting "fixed" as it never popped out of gear as much as it did. Now I am thinking of calling this car a lemon, but I don't know if I can. Has anyone had my experiences? Does anyone know about NYS Lemon Laws?

Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Crossfire has become a very dangerous vehicle to drive

Here's some good info on Lemon Laws.
http://www.autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html

And for New York specifically.
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/consumer/cars/qa.html

Old 01-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular

golfdude:
I know they should work without any issues as mine has been excellent. vin # 13844. Over 11 klms and in -35 temps. (it is stiff as a board for about 15 minutes at that temp though) I have heard of a few guys with that problem but not all that many. You shouldn't have to put up with that, the dealer should give you a new transmission if you scream loud enough.
The stupid thing is, one dealer will treat you like a King and fight for you and make sure you get taken care of, no matter how big or small the problem. So even with some glitches, you will still love the car and the over all Xfire experience. Then some owners get the dealer who makes up excuses, tries quick fixes and make you feel like they don't care. Bummer!
My dealership is a good one! They bend over backwards for everything and they have told me that the last thing they want is to get a complaint sent to DC. Maybe you should try a new dealership. It doesn't have to be the one you bought the car from. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2005, 06:44 PM

Dude,
Take it back to the dealership. Park it in the absolute dead center of his service bay. Lock it and take the keys out when you get out to go look for the dealership service manager or the dealership general manager. When you find him cowering under his desk, pull him out by the ears, throw him into the driver's seat and make him back it up out of his bay. When he realizes that the tranny does not engage smoothly, he will be embarassed, ask for your divine forgiveness and fix your car. If you have restrained yourself from punching him out to this point, demand he get back in your good graces by giving you the pick of his rental fleet for free until such time as the car is presented back to you in excellent working order. Don't whine, don't yell, don't even raise your voice, but be assertive. If he protests, demand the Zone manager's phone number while you weld your cell phone in the air with one hand. If he is still uncooperative, contact Chryslers direct customer assistance phone line which is posted in several spots in this forum, while you stand there in the middle of his service bay entrance with your car. Make a show! Don't settle for lame excuses and shoddy work. You paid or are paying for this, who needs the abuse? Make them make it right! This is a great car. Not every dealership is however.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:32 PM

One of the times my car was in the shop (unrelated to transmission) I saw a few Crossfires in the service bays. Apparently they were there for manual transmission problems. My service guy said Chrysler is aware of the problem. More than likely your service department has seen a Crossfire for the same problem & may not give you a hard time. (wishful thinking) Regardless... call Chrysler's 800 number so they have another dissatisfied customer's case documented.
Good Luck.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by golfdude
After about three hours away from the dealership for the popping out of gear 6-speed manual transmission, my Coupe has already popped out of gear 3 times and getting into reverse and first has become harder than ever. I do not think that doing anything else to the car will fix my problem--the transmission was better off not getting "fixed" as it never popped out of gear as much as it did. Now I am thinking of calling this car a lemon, but I don't know if I can. Has anyone had my experiences? Does anyone know about NYS Lemon Laws?
I think someone is trying to get out of his car after he has tasted a bit of true performance from the EVO.:-D

Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular

Funny how some dealers say that they haven't seen the problem before when you know they have seen plenty. Why not just tell you that your not alone in your pain.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Forum Regular

That's why I went for the auto gear box. Mercedes arfe not known for good manual gear boxes. At the end of the day this is a Merc SLK, how many of them were sold with a manial box?

Old 01-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saldous
That's why I went for the auto gear box. Mercedes arfe not known for good manual gear boxes. At the end of the day this is a Merc SLK, how many of them were sold with a manial box?
Was the SLK320 even available with a manual???

Old 01-19-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by cwdilg
Dude,
Take it back to the dealership. Park it in the absolute dead center of his service bay. Lock it and take the keys out when you get out to go look for the dealership service manager or the dealership general manager. When you find him cowering under his desk, pull him out by the ears, throw him into the driver's seat and make him back it up out of his bay. When he realizes that the tranny does not engage smoothly, he will be embarassed, ask for your divine forgiveness and fix your car. If you have restrained yourself from punching him out to this point, demand he get back in your good graces by giving you the pick of his rental fleet for free until such time as the car is presented back to you in excellent working order. Don't whine, don't yell, don't even raise your voice, but be assertive. If he protests, demand the Zone manager's phone number while you weld your cell phone in the air with one hand. If he is still uncooperative, contact Chryslers direct customer assistance phone line which is posted in several spots in this forum, while you stand there in the middle of his service bay entrance with your car. Make a show! Don't settle for lame excuses and shoddy work. You paid or are paying for this, who needs the abuse? Make them make it right! This is a great car. Not every dealership is however.
Best advice for dealing with a Dealer that isn't doing their job.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Epyon

the 2nd gen SLK (god i wish the Crossfire was based on that) has a very nice 6-speed gearbox.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 PM

Thats crazy, I have an 2004 6 Speed RX8 and down here in Maryland if you try and get the car fixed and they dont fix it on the 3rd time for the same problem, they have to give you a brand new car. But it may be different up there in NY. But who knows. You should have got a book when you bought your car, I know I did.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Epyon

thats the car that i want, the RX-8 god i love rotars!

Old 01-19-2005, 03:48 PM

The Rx-8 is slower than our car that car blows. Rather have the crossfire. Yes I'm defending the crossfire.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Epyon

the 8 isnt slower, its a few milli seconds faster, and dude 183HP/L

holy crap that is amazing!

1.3L producing 238!

Old 01-19-2005, 04:02 PM

Watch them run at the track, LOL, they are all in the mid 15's. X'ed knows alot about the rx-8 and he says only a few can get into the 14's and one guy blew his tranny 2 while trying it. Not to mention the rx-8 is ugly as hell.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Epyon

dude a rotar who else has a rotar?? 183HP/L cant argue with that.

now the RX-7 goddamnit i wish i had that beautiful cars.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:17 PM

Ok with the rx-7 you are preaching the quoir. But the rx-8 sucks. And the rx-7 I love but the car was horribly unreliable.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Epyon

the Apex seals always blew, but with the RX-8 they traded power for reliablity, plus no turbos lol!

Old 01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: The Crossfire has become a very dangerous vehicle to drive

Golfdude,

I can e-mail you a copy of the NYS lemon law phamplet I received when I got my Roadster.

Quick Reply: The Crossfire has become a very dangerous vehicle to drive