Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Driving to the USA

Old 01-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving to the USA

Hi Guys,
This year in August I have the intention of taking my Crossfire to the USA.I will ship from Southampton into Georgia,either Atlanta or Brunswick.
I will be staying in the US about a month with my car,I just had the thought that maybe some of the UK guys would also like to do a road trip ?.
I am sure we could tie up with some of the US members of this forum and maybe make some sort of a bash?.
I know its cheaper to rent a car in the US but thats not the point,the shippng will not be that expensive ( I Hope ) it never used to be ,the more people that want to go the cheaper it is .You dont have to stay a month ,thats just me .Each person could stay the amount of time they wanted,as long as we let the shippers know in advance.
It takes around 10 days to ship either way, so you will be without your car for a while,you willl have to drop the car at Southampton,around 2 weeks before we fly out so the car has arrived when we do.
I am sure some of the US members can arrange some kind of gatherings or rallies wherever we plan to go.
Comments Please
JJ

Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Driving to the USA

Gee, John, seems like a lot of trouble to drive your car in the U.S. Are you coming here on business? Maybe you could hook-up with someone from the Georgia area that already has a XF and drive around with them? You'd have to be without your car almost as long as you're going to be able to drive it. I guess it would be something for us to look at though, being that it's a right hand drive car in the land of the lefties!

Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Driving to the USA

Hi Guys,
It may not be as cheap as I thought to ship!!! the first shippers have told me 695 each way Pounds Stirling.Thats expensive , I have several more coming back to me so hopefully the price will come down.
I used to pay 500 each way USD,and at todays exchange rate that would be a good deal.
If I could get a US shipper and pay in Dollars then it would not cost as much as a US rental car for a month.
The answer to the question by MI Roadsteris,we are coming over to a Wedding in NY State, I have a business over there and one of the Directors sons is getting Married and it gave me the excuse I needed.
Although on reflection I do not need an excuse to come over in my car,it is something that I have been looking forward to.
I will keep all informed when I get other costs.
Regards
JJ