Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Xfire in the snow(bank) today

Old 01-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xfire in the snow(bank) today

I had the biggest nightmare with my xfire yesterday and today. First yesterday I had to dig it out of a snowbank. Turns on that two houses on my street snowblowed their driveways right onto my car. One guy actually was nice and helped me dig it out.. I think because he felt bad for snowblowing me in... Then this morning I go to drive to work only it wouldn't move... I was parked on the left side of the road.. eventually got it to move sideways only by going back and forth.

Yes I said sideways.. the rear slid out so that I was perpendicular to the road.. blocking the little path that the plow cleared for people to drive through. For about 5 minutes I went back and forth, back and forth.. meanwhile there is a huge line of cars waiting for me to go, and I didn't think I would ever move. I was afraid I was going to have to get the car towed. There was no way of getting it back onto the side of the road... Nice people though, nobody beeped once, I thought that was amazing in and of itself.

Eventually got it to pull into my driveway (which was straight ahead of me at this point) by sitting there flooring it in first gear for a minute. Then I noticed the tire pressure light was on.. Was it caused by my abuse of the wheels just now or was it because its only 11 degrees outside? I don't know. Left it there for 15 minutes while I cleaned it off and waited around just to make sure no tire went flat... Then after I start to drive to work... the car starts shaking and stuff.. I'm like ohhh man I definately have a flat.. no flat though.. cleaned out the wheels the best I can cuz they were clogged with snow and ice.. finally ended up driving to work down the interstate at 50mph while my steering wheel just shakes the whole time. Anyway I made it here to work but I'm scared to leave! Could I have actually damaged a tire? Last time it got this cold the light went on but I filled it up enough that I thought it wouldn't go back on. I imagine I must have a slow leak or could it be on just from the cold snap?

Ohh man what a nightmare. No I don't have a garage, nor any other car.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Xfire in the snow(bank) today

The shaking happens to me alot (not with the Xfire yet thanks to garage). There is some snow or ice in the wheel. When you clean it you need to make sure you get all of it. Sometimes when you clean all you can see or get to, it makes it worse because now there is clumps, as opposed to snow all around (happened to me this morning) Get some hot water and soak down the wheels to make sure you get all the snow and ice off. Drive it around a bit, just to make sure that the water runs off and won't freeze into one clump on the bottom.

I don't know why the tire pressure light would come on, unless the spinning did something to throw it off.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

When I was in Albuquerque back in November and it had snowed all night and in the morning my tire pressure light came on also. I think it was because of the temperature drop. When it warmed up a few hours later, it went out.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yep...the packed snow inside the rim is causing the wheel to be off balance. your car will be fine. been there done that.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:56 PM

What kind of tires did you have on your Xfire? Stock or snow tires?

Old 01-24-2005, 06:43 PM

Yesterday pulled my Crossfire out of the garage to charge up the battery (haven't driven it since the first snow). It took me a half hour to get it back into the garage as the tires kept spinning. Even with the esp off/on the car wouldn't move forward. Sideways didn't seem to be a problem.. Finally shifted into 2nd gear and spun my way the 15 feet into the garage.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:30 AM

Cindy, I had the exact same problem back in December after the first decent MI snowfall. Had about 2" in the driveway and I couldn't even get the Xfire to the road with the summer rubber. Rocked it back and forth, tried second gear, traction control on and off and nothing but spin. Finally I strapped it to my Jeep from the tow hook under the rear bumper and I pulled it (gently) out of the driveway. It's been in the garage ever since. I am seriously considering the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s so I can at least take a chance in the snow if something happens to the Jeep. The nice thing about the Dunlops is they come in the Crossfire stock rim sizes front and rear (although I'm still skeptical that a rear tire that size will grip well in snow regardless of tread pattern).

Last edited by slide93; 01-25-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the performance tires.. not the all seasons.. This probably contributed to my problem. Anyway I knew the wheels were shimmying because of the snow but I was concerned about the tire pressure light.. It's still on but I think it may just have been messed up or damaged being under so much snow.. Today I noticed that both headlights are fogged up now with frozen vapor.. ugh.. I liked it better last year when I use to take the bus to work and just let the crossfire sit under a pile of snow until it melted...

Old 01-25-2005, 05:37 PM

The car does go sideways very nicely. I discovered that trying to make a left turn on the way to work yesterday! Up to about 3" of snow, no problem. After that. . .