Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Transmission converter control solenoid

Old 05-27-2015, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission converter control solenoid

I have a 2005 Crossfire limited cpe. I purchased a few months ago that had many issues that I corrected, and was running fine until last week.
I drove it for about five miles and it shifted fine until I came to a red light.

I pulled out from the red light and heard the transmission whine some while it shifted through the speeds to fifth speed. When I stopped at the next red light and tried to pull out again the transmission would not move or shift. I moved over and turned off the engine. I let it sit for a few minutes then started it back up again, and put it in gear and it pulled out okay. I didn't go very far when I felt it slip back into a nuetral position with no drive pressure.

I moved off the main road, and turned it off again, and called a towing service and had it towed home.
When the towing service dropped it off I started it back up and mived it in reverse and drive again.

I checked the transmission oil level and it was up past the full mark but the oil was clean. Before this problem occured the oil was at the proper full level.
It almost seems like it is a bad transmission converter solenoid. Also, there are no transmission codes showing up with my code reader. Has any one on the forum had this problem, and can offer some help.
crossfire5

Old 05-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 341 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Re: Transmission converter control solenoid

It sounds like it may be going into LIMP MODE.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

First of all, the transmission does not have oil in it . . . it has transmission fluid. Lets start with the basics . . . There is no dip stick to check the fluid level in the transmission so how did you check the level of the transmission fluid?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
First of all, the transmission does not have oil in it . . . it has transmission fluid. Lets start with the basics . . . There is no dip stick to check the fluid level in the transmission so how did you check the level of the transmission fluid?
How do you define the difference between fluid and oil?
The Crossfire manual transmission uses ATF.

I say oil lubricates as does ATF.
Tap water is a fluid, put it into the auto or any transmission, I guess not.
So?
I guess it all comes down to what's in a name.

The Crossfire does not have a tranny dip stick, but many dip sticks have Crossfires. LOL

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-28-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I called transmisson fluid transmission "oil" I do know the diference. I rebuilt automatic transmissions well over fifteen years as a dealership mechanic.

Also, I did purchase a new automatic transmission dip stick from Germany to check the trans fluid after I purchased the Crossfire because it had none.
That's how I know what the fluid level was before, and after the problem.

I dont think it went into limp mode when restarted because it shifted through all five speeds again, and then after a short time slipped back into nuetral.

Almost like the converter fluid drained down until it was shut off and restarted again. That's why I think the Trans Converter Control solenoid became defective.

I previously asked if anyone on the forum ever had the same condition, and had a repair solution to please reply.

Thank you

Crossfire5

Last edited by crossfire5; 05-28-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Sounds like what my buddy maxcichon had a couple of years back.
His turned out to be the transmission conductor plate, dealership in Atlanta replaced under warranty for him, no problems since.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfire5
Although I called transmisson fluid transmission "oil" I do know the diference. I rebuilt automatic transmissions well over fifteen years as a dealership mechanic.

Also, I did purchase a new automatic transmission dip stick from Germany to check the trans fluid after I purchased the Crossfire because it had none.

I dont think it went into limp mode when restarted because it shifted through all five speeds again, and then after a short time slipped back into nuetral.

Almost like the converter fluid drained down until it was shut off and restarted again. That's why I think the Trans Converter Control solenoid became defective.

I previously asked if anyone on the forum ever had the same condition, and had a repair solution to please reply.

Thank you

Crossfire5

Your spot on about it not being 'limp mode' if it went into 'neutral'. My question is what was the temperature of the transmission 'fluid' when you checked the level? There is a curve to follow for temp/level for these transmissions. It can be worse on a hill if vehicle isn't level on stock suspension. Just trying to be helpful, I didn't see if it was in your OP. The 'conductor plate' issue usually posts codes but I don't remember which ones. You mentioned you didn't have any codes but didn't say what code reader you used and if it has the ability to read NAG-1 (I think that's what our transmission number is) specific codes.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfire5

Thank you

Crossfire5
Here is a thread that has videos on tranny repairs, you can see the two plates that fit together amd do all the work. Should be a piece of cake for you.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

OK so you obviously know more than I suspected from your original post. I don't understand how the fluid level could be correct before your problem and then show overfull after your problem. But assuming you have the proper transmission fluid in there and that the fluid level is correct, I would also suspect the conductor plate although I have not specifically heard of the symptoms that you describe. Maybe someone else will respond with more definitive information.