Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Exterior bulb light

Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exterior bulb light

If someone could give me a link, or tell me, how to reset the exterior bulb light for my 04 coupe, that would be excellent. I've checked all the lights (even reverse lights!) and everything is working, but the light still remains.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Exterior bulb light

Try both license plate lights. If the dash light is on you have bulb out. You are not doing any LED conversions are you?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:53 PM

I haven't done any LED conversions, but it does look like the previous owner put LED in the license plate lights, which are working by the way.

There is a light or two out in the dash, but of course that shouldn't cause the exterior bulb light to come on.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 PM

What does an LED conversion have to do with it, though?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004_
What does an LED conversion have to do with it, though?
An LED requires a fraction of the amperage compared to a regular bulb. With very little draw, the BCM thinks that the bulb is not working.

James

Old 07-10-2015, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
An LED requires a fraction of the amperage compared to a regular bulb. With very little draw, the BCM thinks that the bulb is not working.

James
Thank you! So how do I go about fixing that while still keeping the LED?

Old 07-11-2015, 12:35 AM

Thank you! So how do I go about fixing that while still keeping the LED?
Was everything working fine then the dash light showed a bad bulb or has it always been on since you had the car?

If this is a new indication then you just have to find the bad bulb. If it has always been there you have to find what the previous owner did which might include using non-CAN buss LED lights.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 07-11-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Was everything working fine then the dash light showed a bad bulb or has it always been on since you had the car?

If this is a new indication then you just have to find the bad bulb. If it has always been there you have to find what the previous owner did which might include using non-CAN buss LED lights.
It's been there since I got the car. I've been doing some research and just learned about can bus. So I'm guessing that is what's going on with the license plate lights. I'm going to see about replacing them back with halogens and see if the light goes off.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:54 AM

It's been there since I got the car. I've been doing some research and just learned about can bus. So I'm guessing that is what's going on with the license plate lights. I'm going to see about replacing them back with halogens and see if the light goes off.
We have had reports that not all CAN buss LED lights are the same therefor some will work and other brands won't even though they say CAN buss compatible.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:56 AM

PS: See how giving us very detailed descriptions of the symptoms and history helps troubleshoot over the internet?

Old 07-11-2015, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
We have had reports that not all CAN buss LED lights are the same therefor some will work and other brands won't even though they say CAN buss compatible.
Well that's good to know. I haven't even looked at the bulbs to see what brand they are. Not that it would matter much. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:58 AM

Yes yes! I just joined this forum, the first I've ever joined, actually. So I'm still learning everything.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:18 PM

It's probably the led light. I have small led's in my diy running lights. If you want to test it, go get two normal license plate bulbs replace them then if the dash light goes off/back to normal, then take your choice...look cool with a reminder that your lights are on...LED's , or ride with the standard lights...still cool, but no reminder that your lights are on..

Old 08-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Smile Re: Exterior bulb light

Hi! It sounds like the same problem I had a few months back. My exterior failure lamp came on, and I couldn't find a bad bulb ANYWHERE! One day I was in front of a diesel truck at a red light and I could see the rear of my car in his enormous front bumper. I saw that my brake lights were remaining on when I removed my foot from the pedal. Check and see if your brake lights remain on when the brake pedal is NOT pushed. (I dont know if it needs to be in gear or not) Anyway, I took my Baby Blue to the Chrysler dealership, and had to have a part replaced (sorry, I cant recall the part name), it was rather costly - $1,100, and took nearly a week to get. The service mgr said it was some kind of computer part for the lights?
Hope this helps!
June

Last edited by Junebug; 08-17-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-06-2019, 12:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Re: Exterior bulb light

Hello
I own a 2005 Crossfire my exterior light comes on as well and stays on all the time. Did you ever find out what caused your light to come on ?? My car has the rear tag lights are LED but I wouldnt think the exterior light stays on even when lights are turned off can you let me know if you ever found out about this. I just got this car last Oct and I am afraid if I try to register it and inspect it it will affect my states inspection.
thanks

Old 04-06-2019, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by manlaw38
Hello
I own a 2005 Crossfire my exterior light comes on as well and stays on all the time. Did you ever find out what caused your light to come on ?? My car has the rear tag lights are LED but I wouldnt think the exterior light stays on even when lights are turned off can you let me know if you ever found out about this. I just got this car last Oct and I am afraid if I try to register it and inspect it it will affect my states inspection.
thanks
As a diagnostic test put the original bulbs back in.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by manlaw38
Hello
thanks
Are the LEDs just the bulbs or the complete LED tag light unit?
LED bulbs on their own need a resistor in the circuit otherwise the dash light will come on. The entire LED unit has the correction all ready made inside it.
Did you add the LEDs or did the car come with them?