Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How loud is the interior of your Crossfire?

Old 07-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How loud is the interior of your Crossfire?

I realize that most of you probably do not have a sound meter but I thought I that I would share my results with a sound meter that I have (it is accurate within 1.5dB). My Crossfire is so loud inside that to be honest I hate to drive it very far. It is all tire/road noise and not engine noise. The tires are directional Copper ZEON 2XS (mileage unknown) that appear very aggressive and this is hopefully the reason for the noise.

I took all of the following readings of our three vehicles at ear level between the driver and passenger (above the console) and the results are as follows:

2014 KIA Cadenza (40,000 miles on tires) = 64dB
2008 Dodge RAM 1500 4 wheel drive pickup (aggressive tires) = 70dB
2006 Crossfire Limited Coupe = 78db!

I expected the Crossfire to be considerably louder than the Cadenza but not to be louder than our Hemi pickup. Most of the noise in the Crossfire is coming from the back. In fact, if I put the meter in the back it reads well into the upper 80's.

When time permits I am going to put a new set of Hankook Ventus S1 noble on as Tirerack.com rates them as very quiet. Will report the new, and hopefully better, sound results after installation.

Don

Old 07-16-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 341 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Re: How loud is the interior of your Crossfire?

Remember also the Crossfire is a sports car that is fairly close to the road, has relatively stiff suspension and nice exhaust.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, copper tires are VERY noisy. Almost as bad as aluminum.

JK.

Everything zeracer said. That being stated: I have a dual exhaust consisting of essentially 4 glass packs (Magnaflow).

It's loud, but still can be drowned out, kinda'-sorta'. by the stereo.

Having new tires makes a world of difference, too.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't have a DB meter, and I have a OBX catback, BUT with new tires and the top up, I can carry on a normal conversation with a passenger without having to raise my voice. It's just a wee bit noisier than my Chrysler Concorde Limited, and that puppy is QUIET !

Old 07-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I don't have a DB meter, and I have a OBX catback, BUT with new tires and the top up, I can carry on a normal conversation with a passenger without having to raise my voice. It's just a wee bit noisier than my Chrysler Concorde Limited, and that puppy is QUIET !
I have two levels of sound in my car, hearing aids on and hearing aids off.
When I got the car the noise was horrible, new tires fixed it as they were worn badly and made a horrible noise.

The following users liked this post:
sarahj2021 (01-06-2021)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tires are the biggest contributing factor. Some tread designs are just naturally noisy, others can get more noisy as the tread wears down.
But don't forget your ears are about 3 feet away from your differential, and your rear tires.

Last edited by +fireamx; 07-17-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run BFGoodrich tires all the way around and the road noise isn't terrible. They're all worn down pretty good too.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:30 PM

Get worn out tires if you think your ears are to good to be SOILD with SOUND. Worn tires make less noise. I could care less about TIRE noise and to be complaining about it is hilarious. New Tires are pretty loud at times especially on a big truck. If you hear Tire noise on a small car you are Nitpicking at nothing because you are too much of a perfectionist. Really are these noisy tires gonna effect your whole life experience?? I bet if you have a heart attack tomorrow that tire noise wont bother you in the least. Burn some of that Millions you make per year and come back down to earth.

Last edited by Brewen23; 07-18-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewen23
Get worn out tires if you think your ears are to good to be SOILD with SOUND. Worn tires make less noise. I could care less about TIRE noise and to be complaining about it is hilarious. New Tires are pretty loud at times especially on a big truck. If you hear Tire noise on a small car you are Nitpicking at nothing because you are too much of a perfectionist. Really are these noisy tires gonna effect your whole life experience?? I bet if you have a heart attack tomorrow that tire noise wont bother you in the least. Burn some of that Millions you make per year and come back down to earth.
Wow. Just...wow.

You got it all out now? Do you want a moment alone?

We aren't talking about a truck with mudder tires.

sarahj2021 (01-06-2021)
Old 07-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm running my SRT with rear cats and muffler deleted. The resonator now acts as my muffler and an X-pipe is installed where the cats and H-pipe used to be. Sounds perfectly OEM until WOT, then she's growling like an angry Ferrari. She's actually quieter then my 05 Limited with Magnaflow CatBacks.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 450 Likes on 317 Posts

Hankooks summer tires all the way around are the quietest tires I have ever had
Magnaflow exhaust is music to my ears
Love the sound inside and out of my Crossfire !!!

Goldwing (10-13-2023)
Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brewen23
Get worn out tires if you think your ears are to good to be SOILD with SOUND. Worn tires make less noise. I could care less about TIRE noise and to be complaining about it is hilarious.
What I find hilarious is that you do not know the difference between "I could care less" and "I could not care less". I really don't know what to say about your word "SOILD". All in all, I assume that you could not hear either your grammar instructor or your spelling teacher...probably an ear problem.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IGot2P
I realize that most of you probably do not have a sound meter but I thought I that I would share my results with a sound meter that I have (it is accurate within 1.5dB). My Crossfire is so loud inside that to be honest I hate to drive it very far. It is all tire/road noise and not engine noise. The tires are directional Copper ZEON 2XS (mileage unknown) that appear very aggressive and this is hopefully the reason for the noise.

I took all of the following readings of our three vehicles at ear level between the driver and passenger (above the console) and the results are as follows:

I expected the Crossfire to be considerably louder than the Cadenza but not to be louder than our Hemi pickup. Most of the noise in the Crossfire is coming from the back. In fact, if I put the meter in the back it reads well into the upper 80's.

When time permits I am going to put a new set of Hankook Ventus S1 noble on as Tirerack.com rates them as very quiet. Will report the new, and hopefully better, sound results after installation.

Don
I had the same problem, very loud. I went with new Hankook Ventus S1, and it made a worl of difference, as well as a smoother ride.

Goldwing (10-13-2023)
Old 07-24-2015, 05:02 PM

Don
When you took the DB readings what speed where you going and what type of road (highway or city )
I have a DB meter and would like to check mine too.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph289
When you took the DB readings what speed where you going and what type of road (highway or city )
I have a DB meter and would like to check mine too.
60 mph on a reasonably smooth two lane highway. Please post your results and the tires that you are running.

Don

Old 07-24-2015, 05:51 PM

60 mph on a reasonably smooth two lane highway. Please post your results and the tires that you are running.

Don
I may not get around to it for a while but I WILL do it.
Ralph

Old 08-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I find the 2004 Coupe I recently acquired to be much quieter than the 2005 Roadster I've had since new

Seriously though, it's incredible the amount of noise some tires can make. I had a set of BFGoodrich KDWs on another car and they were great when new, but when close to worn..... holy smokes the noise was so bad I thought I had a wheel bearing going out on me. Crazy thing was, braking to a stop light on smooth pavement from about 40mph the noise was crazy loud! New tires, noise gone.

On my 2005 Crossfire Roadster the original Continentals weren't terribly noisy, they just rode really harsh and didn't stick all that well. I mounted a set of Toyo Proxes T1R Sports and they're even quieter, ride better, and turn in is damn near instant. I freakin' love these tires.

On my 2004 Coupe, which I bought with totally shot tires, I recently installed a set of Sumitomos that I got on TireRack for just over $500/set in factory size. That car is actually very quiet inside now. I haven't taken any SPL readings but I could on the way home tonight (if I actually remember!).

By the way, these Sumitomos are a bit narrow and, had I thought about things when I bought them I would have opted for 275 cross section on the rear instead of the factory 255. I have 275s on the Roadster and they look great while the 255s look a bit stretched on the factory wheels of the Coupe.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:12 PM

Still have to do mine, just can't remember. Will make a note in the car. We all should be using the same app I guess, as we all don't have professional db meters.
I am using :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ra.sound&hl=en

Old 08-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph289
Still have to do mine, just can't remember. Will make a note in the car. We all should be using the same app I guess, as we all don't have professional db meters.
I am using :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ra.sound&hl=en
I'll give that app a try, thanks. I guess we should also standardize on where you test from. Maybe sitting in the mesh pocket between the headrests?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
I'll give that app a try, thanks. I guess we should also standardize on where you test from. Maybe sitting in the mesh pocket between the headrests?
Would be hard to read there.
Why not just hold it in your hand and get the reading. 60 MPH on a standard paved road. Radio off.

Quick Reply: How loud is the interior of your Crossfire?