Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

White Smoke after 87 OCTANE??

Old 07-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke after 87 OCTANE??

I decided to use 87 octane gasoline today and saw white smoke afterwards while going uphill. Does this have anything to do with the Gasoline??

Old 07-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: White Smoke after 87 OCTANE??

Not being a ****** but that was VERY dumb. Don't do that again. Use 93 no matter what. I've seen people use 91 when 93 wasn't available and they just lost performance if I remember correctly. Don't cheap on gas though.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, putting 87 octane in your car shouldn't make it smoke.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chturner
Not being a ****** but that was VERY dumb. Don't do that again. Use 93 no matter what. I've seen people use 91 when 93 wasn't available and they just lost performance if I remember correctly. Don't cheap on gas though.
91 is all we get - run here. On vacations we find 93. Can't say I've noticed any difference.. But on the 87 octane side.. If the gas is too expensive for you.. please sell it to someone who will give the car what it is designed to run on. You should only use 87 as an emergency to get to the next station with 91.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
91 is all we get - run here. On vacations we find 93. Can't say I've noticed any difference.. But on the 87 octane side.. If the gas is too expensive for you.. please sell it to someone who will give the car what it is designed to run on. You should only use 87 as an emergency to get to the next station with 91.
Nahh dude we dont run 87 all the time we just tried it this once. Kinda worried me that I messed the precious little carriage up lol. We love our car. As far as please sell it to someone who will give it what it is designed to run on we will just have it euthanized if it gets too sick lololol

Old 07-18-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brewen23
Nahh dude we dont run 87 all the time we just tried it this once. Kinda worried me that I messed the precious little carriage up lol. We love our car. As far as please sell it to someone who will give it what it is designed to run on we will just have it euthanized if it gets too sick lololol

Got any rear diffusers on it?

Getting my dibbs in first.. LOL

Old 07-18-2015, 09:06 PM

Got any rear diffusers on it?

Getting my dibbs in first.. LOL
Tell me what a Gear Diffuser is and where it would be located??

I do know it wasn't a thick smoke just really thin like extremely light fog. No water in the oil and no oil in the water.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

White smoke is usually from humidity. Water in the exhaust or head gasket leak. It wouldn't happen because of 87 octane. I'm thinking you just noticed it now and it's a coincidence.

Les

Old 07-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by chturner

I've seen people post crazy stuff with no basis in fact. 91 octane is fine for a car designed for 93 octane. Personal preferences are fine but when it comes to spending other peoples monies I would suggest a little more caution. Peace out!

Old 07-19-2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I've seen people post crazy stuff with no basis in fact. 91 octane is fine for a car designed for 93 octane. Personal preferences are fine but when it comes to spending other peoples monies I would suggest a little more caution. Peace out!

Well if you take a Harley Sportster 1200 and feed it 87 octane.. you'll soon know the major difference "designed for" makes. They design "93 octane" cars? We don't "have" it here.. can you post a pic of them since I've never gotten to see one?

Old 07-19-2015, 02:45 PM

Well if you take a Harley Sportster 1200 and feed it 87 octane.. you'll soon know the major difference "designed for" makes. They design "93 octane" cars? We don't "have" it here.. can you post a pic of them since I've never gotten to see one?

A car is a car, a bike is not a car. I got lost with what you posted after that. Must be the meds I take, or the state of mind I am in right now... In general, a production CAR designed for 93 octane can run 91 octane very easily with no discernible harm to car or drivers wallet. Does that help?

Old 07-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see you like sarcasm too

Old 07-19-2015, 04:51 PM

A car is a car, a bike is not a car. I got lost with what you posted after that. Must be the meds I take, or the state of mind I am in right now... In general, a production CAR designed for 93 octane can run 91 octane very easily with no discernible harm to car or drivers wallet. Does that help?

A 4 stroke engine.. is a 4 stroke engine.. "performance design" is the key ingredient . 1200 cc.. 91 octane.. 883 cc 87 octane.. My Avalanche.. pick your flavor.. short of towing - then it's recommended as 91 octane only. Why? "by design"..

As I stated.. I have yet to see a production car "designed" for 93 octane.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put 5 gallons of 87 octane in mine on my recent CAA6 trip to Ark. I was in s/e Ark and it was the only gas they had and I was about out. I went 26 miles before I hit the next station at all. It was 95 degrees out and high humidity. At some point it had to be running on nearly 100% 87 octane. I was running 65mph with the a/c on. While I don't make this a habit it was necessary and it ran as well as it ever did, no ill effects. Of course I wasn't running on the track trying to squeeze all I could out of it either.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
I put 5 gallons of 87 octane in mine on my recent CAA6 trip to Ark. I was in s/e Ark and it was the only gas they had and I was about out. I went 26 miles before I hit the next station at all. It was 95 degrees out and high humidity. At some point it had to be running on nearly 100% 87 octane. I was running 65mph with the a/c on. While I don't make this a habit it was necessary and it ran as well as it ever did, no ill effects. Of course I wasn't running on the track trying to squeeze all I could out of it either.

Sounds real familiar on our CAA4 adventure..

Old 07-20-2015, 10:14 AM

A 4 stroke engine.. is a 4 stroke engine.. "performance design" is the key ingredient . 1200 cc.. 91 octane.. 883 cc 87 octane.. My Avalanche.. pick your flavor.. short of towing - then it's recommended as 91 octane only. Why? "by design"..

As I stated.. I have yet to see a production car "designed" for 93 octane.

Oh my... Mea Culpa! I screwed up! Great catch MrM, sure wish I could have realized my mistake sooner! I keyed on chturner's post and wasn't thinking. I knew 2 points below was fine and used his 93 octane number... D'oh! Please substitute all MY 93 numbers for 91 numbers, and my 91's to 89's. Our crossfires are designed for 91 octane! I use 89 octane all the time with NO discernible performance problems. Its also a good thing on my wallet! I am not going to 'edit' my previous posts as reference to what was said originally. Man, I got to stop and breath sometimes! No excuse for the error BUT I did just get notified I am a first time Granddad as of Friday late, many short sleep cycles since!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:54 AM

Oh my... Mea Culpa! I screwed up! Great catch MrM, sure wish I could have realized my mistake sooner! I keyed on chturner's post and wasn't thinking. I knew 2 points below was fine and used his 93 octane number... D'oh! Please substitute all MY 93 numbers for 91 numbers, and my 91's to 89's. Our crossfires are designed for 91 octane! I use 89 octane all the time with NO discernible performance problems. Its also a good thing on my wallet! I am not going to 'edit' my previous posts as reference to what was said originally. Man, I got to stop and breath sometimes! No excuse for the error BUT I did just get notified I am a first time Granddad as of Friday late, many short sleep cycles since!

Well congrats on being a Granddad!
I know you won't "kill" a car (even though my Sportster sounded like it was on it's last leg.. LOL) with an 87 octane.. My ex wife has ran it in her LS1 z28 for quite a few years.. .. But I figure that "premium fuel only" sticker is there for a reason.. LOL.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:24 AM

Well congrats on being a Granddad!
I know you won't "kill" a car (even though my Sportster sounded like it was on it's last leg.. LOL) with an 87 octane.. My ex wife has ran it in her LS1 z28 for quite a few years.. .. But I figure that "premium fuel only" sticker is there for a reason.. LOL.

Thanks on the congrats. It still hasn't quite sunk in yet. Seems only last month or so, coming home from Desert Shield/Storm back in 91, and holding my 4 month old son for the first time. I deployed while the mrs was pregnant and she didn't even have a drivers license. Tears of joy abound... Like I said, it still hasn't sunk in.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

And you probably still had all your hair back in '91
Look in the mirror, it will sink in.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
And you probably still had all your hair back in '91
Look in the mirror, it will sink in.
Oooooohhhhh!

Reality check!

Quick Reply: White Smoke after 87 OCTANE??