Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

My Journey to Crossfire Ownership

Old 08-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts
Default My Journey to Crossfire Ownership

I wanted to share the story of my Crossfire ownership and how it came to be. It's long so open up a cold one and enjoy!

I forgot the Chrysler Crossfire existed. Like a celebrity that becomes famous and quickly disappears from the headlines, this is how I thought of the Crossfire. What started as a normal day taking photos and posting vehicles to our online database here at work turned into a morning (and 4 days) I'll never forget. But first a little backround on myself.

I'm Cliff, 29 years old and a father to three children. My passion for cars borderlines obsessive compulsive and sometimes makes life very difficult. From a young age I had always been obsessed with "the car" and specifically "the fast car". That car for me was the Corvette. My Grandfather worked at the Moraine Plant, GM in Ohio for decades before it closed, my other Grandfather sold Chevrolet's and Buick's, my Father had been a salesman, Finance Manager, and ended up being the New Car sales Manager for a Chevy dealer for many years, my mother worked the title office at the same dealer as my father, my uncle worked detail and accessories for a neighboring Chrysler lot and so on. As you can see here, it only made since that I followed in my families footsteps.

After various jobs in customer service and retail, I finally landed a job working as a lot-tech at a Honda dealer. Being the lowest of the low in every category known to man, you get an overwhelming sense of sass and ***hole-ness about yourself. That attitude landed me 3 raises and 2 promotions in the matter of 10 months. After my one year anniversary and an ownership change, I became the Lot-Tech Manager, which is a glorified baby-sitter with a polo shirt. Shortly after that with I was promoted again to inventory control/photographer at our Ford location. With that job came one great opportunity, to drive every single car in our inventory.

Fast forward to last week, I'm doing my usual inventory counts and started photographing the cars when the new lot-tech manager drives up to my photo-booth in a pretty red sports-car. It was low, wide, and mean looking. I had not seen one of these cars in ages and immediately had to take it for a test drive. That car was my 2004 Chrysler Crossfire.

{insert devilishly large grins and childish laughs} This thing is a blast to drive! Certainly this can't be a Chrysler. The last Chrysler I drove had the playfulness of a brick in water. I've owned 39 cars in 14 years and this is like nothing I've driven. It's spot on handling, big brakes, throaty exhaust, and menacing looks reminded me of the days I fell in love with the car when they were new in 2004. It was 2004 all over again, it was playing Forza Motorsport 4 on my Xbox, hooning an SRT-6 online smashing the competition. I was a kid in a candystore. You get the picture.

After a 20 minute drive, I came back to my desk and started researching the Crossfire. I had done this in the past, but it had been years so I knew I needed to brush up on my knowledge. I came here as I had done in the past and immediately looked for problems, maintenance, and troubleshooting posts on the car. What I found surprising mainly centered around how "normal" the cars were when it came to repairs. It's no more detrimental to my wallet then say, my 2005 Accord. It has the same costs of ownership as that Accord. A low mileage engine for both cars runs around $2,000 if God forbid mine were to blow up. The oil Change and tire balance and rotation at my cost at work runs $50 on the Accord and about $90 on the Crossfire. Replacement parts (OE) aren't to much more. Brake pads, Serpentine belts, and filters are all within my range of what I'd call "normal". But the car is far from normal.

I went and talked to my used car manager about the Crossfire. He was the first of many to point out every single negative about buying it. "It's a Mercedes underneath". "It costs X amount of dollars to do this or that". "You won't like it". "Electrical Problems". "Mustang's are faster". Almost everyone was putting the car on the same level as a 1990's Daewoo. But what they didn't know is I was already primed with some knowledge and know-how for the car and confidently ready to buy "if" the used car sales manager would sell it to me. I have access to what we pay for trade ins and so own so I knew what we had in it... Only $2,000.

After a lengthy conversation with a service tech who inspected the car, we concluded that for its age and mileage, anything under market value for the car would make it a great investment. It had flaws, sagging headliner, ashtray won't stay shut, cupholder was MIA, and some dents and dings. With 100,000 miles on the odometer, it was due for some servicing as well. The used car manager and I agreed on a price, $4100. A great price in my book. The car wasn't finished in service after I signed papers for it and had wondered what in the world was going on back there with it. I walked to service and found the used car manager had put in the deal a fresh oil change and four new tires! That totaled almost $1200 in itself. When it was completed the next day, I took delivery and drove it home to show my fiance. She wasn't impressed either. LOL. It took some convincing and a couple of rides to prove her otherwise.

The reason I wanted to share this with you boils down to community. If it were not for this forum, I might have passed up on the car. Knowing I won't need a dealership for 90% of my ownership is a blessing. For that 10%, I have a good tech here at work that seem very knowledgeable in the car as well. I love the car even with its flaws, it shines up nicely and runs just as well as my Accord. It's very fun to drive and I attribute that to the previous owner and what they had done before they traded it. New shocks and brakes surely help keep the spunk alive in an eleven year old car.

I've got some work cut out for me. Re-doing the RCM, getting a second key (next week), doing the plugs and wires, coolant exchange, and the transmission service. Everything I want to do or need to do I found here so I want to thank everyone who has contributed to the car and to this forum. Without you, people like me may have passed up the car due to simply not knowing much about it. So there is my story! Enjoy your Crossfire!

The following 3 users liked this post by xfClifford:
MAYAman (01-06-2023), shinobi75 (03-03-2021), ×Crossfire1× (03-13-2023)
Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My Journey to Crossfire Ownership

Great story! Welcome!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to the Permagrin Club. The Crossfire is one of the best kept secrets, it is a keeper. I also have owned several hundred cars in my lifetime and I have kept my Crossfire longer than any (almost 10 years) and intend to keep and enjoy it forever.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations badcookie! I too have just acquired a 2004 Crossfire and I'm just now starting to investigate what it all means. My main concern so far, after reading through some of the entries in the Crossfire forums is this: Do I need to take a Car Mechanics course at my local Community College? I'm not joking here, every Chrysler and Mercedes dealership I've contacted so far does Not seem to have neither the tools nor the mechanics that can help me with my Crossfire. Do all Crossfire owners have to do their own repairs as best as they can? I'm NOT a car mechanic, far from it, and I have no idea (or tools) to even begin trying any type of repairs... Help?

Moderator note: xfClifford started out as "badcookie"

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-03-2021 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (03-13-2023)
Old 09-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Try to find an Independent Mercedes or European car repair shop, if you want to spend money on your repairs. Almost all of the mechanicals are Mercedes anyway. They know more than Chrysler. go, to the link in the next post, if you want to do some yourself. There are also a lot of tutorials on U tube.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:56 PM

This is the link.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 10-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

If it was maintained, it should be reasonably problem free. I've only had a slipped transmission cable on my Roadster (58k miles; purchased new) and a popped plenum plug on my SRT6 (38k miles; purchased in 2008 with 8.5k miles). Admittedly they are only driven <2,000 miles each summer but all maintenance, especially oil changes every fall, are done religiously. Enjoy it. PS - A nice set of Hankook summer tires does set me back $1005.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone wondered where my name came from, it's from my favorite band, R U S H. The 549 is from BR549 the car dealership phone number from HEE-HAW. I used the 549 because I was having a hard time using RUSH alone.
Godspeed Neil Peart.
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/11/79555..._campaign=news

Old 06-07-2020, 08:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

a dream came true
from the beginning, i went from car to car that were the best deal for my money, but it was not until 1985 when i had the chance to but a car that i liked.
it was the 1985 firebird. as i wanted something to my desires,and was not available, i had to order and wait 2 months. it was a 2.8 liters v6 engine with manual transmission and t roof. i got it and enjoyed it for 25 years. it handled like a dream, with the 2.8 engine helping to balance at 50/50. and didnt need more power to drive it to my liking. i was in heaven!
i think that a sports car is safer because the suspension and steering makes it more stable and the extra power also helps in case of an emergency.
that year it came with fuel injection, and i learned a trick to avoid having the injectors serviced by using a fuel injector cleaner whenever the idling became rough.
also, when i bought it i got a pair of replacement belts just in case, but i still had them when i sold it, as spraying a belt protective coating did the trick.
when it died due to rust underneath, i replaced it with a nice family sedan with automatic transmission. comfortable, lasted 9 years but died when everything failed almost at the same time, so i searched at kijiji for a car nearby. among many, i casually saw a crossfire. i had seen some from time to time and liked them, but i considered out of my reach. to my surprise it was not, so i began searching for data and found this forum, where i realized that there is so much help, that it would make easier to own it, so i got it.
it is a 2005 light metallic grey coupe that was kept in great shape. looks like new. almost 1 year since, and runs like a dream!
now, again, driving is an adventure!

Old 08-27-2020, 10:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by josefran
Congratulations badcookie! I too have just acquired a 2004 Crossfire and I'm just now starting to investigate what it all means. My main concern so far, after reading through some of the entries in the Crossfire forums is this: Do I need to take a Car Mechanics course at my local Community College? I'm not joking here, every Chrysler and Mercedes dealership I've contacted so far does Not seem to have neither the tools nor the mechanics that can help me with my Crossfire. Do all Crossfire owners have to do their own repairs as best as they can? I'm NOT a car mechanic, far from it, and I have no idea (or tools) to even begin trying any type of repairs... Help?

Here is my YouTube channel I am slowly building if this helps you , congrats on the new XF and welcome!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEr...yXx_H6EIbfmxHA

Old 08-27-2020, 10:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not sure of the condition of your car, but they are pretty reliable if treated with love (and regular maintenance). If it has not been done, do all the fluid and filter changes. If you run into a problem you cannot handle, this forum is a source of good information and you should look for a local foreign car mechanic who works on BMW, Audi, Mercedes. Obtain references from their customers and build a relationship. Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm buying my first crossfire tommorow i really wanted a SRT6 but cant afford one, the base model is fine for now

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (03-13-2023)
Old 03-03-2021, 04:52 PM

Be sure to post a photo.