Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Tpms

Old 06-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tpms

My tire light stays on. I finally need to get new tires, so I'm going to replace all 4 sensors(I had them checked and was told all 4 are dead). I just now heard it could be the TPMS control module.

Any suggestions on my next move before I get the tires done?

Old 06-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Tpms

You might consider to disable the system. From a post by rcomport:
Easiest way to disable it is to remove the wire from pin 2 (red highlight) and put it in the empty place of pin 6 (blue highligh). This will completely disable it and you will no longer have the light illuminate on the instrument cluster. This will not affect the HomeLink in any way so you don't lose that functionality.

********************* ATTENTION!!!!! *********************

The highlight colors are NOT the wire colors. They are only there to highlight where the pin is from the factory and where its to go to disable the TPMS. The ONLY wire being changed is the grey wire with the yellow stripe (20GY/YL).
Click the image to open in full size.
To get at the TPMS/HomeLink connector, just remove the dome light and you can see the wires going into it. Remove the connector, use a pick or other fine tipped tool and depress the top of pin 2 so it will slide out. Push the pin back into the connector in the 6th position and reinstall the connector. Reinstall the dome light and you are finished.

use the search function "disable the TPMS" Our cars are old enough that the TPMS is not a Federal requirement.

Last edited by zip439; 06-07-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
You might consider to disable the system. From a post by rcomport:
Easiest way to disable it is to remove the wire from pin 2 (red highlight) and put it in the empty place of pin 6 (blue highligh). This will completely disable it and you will no longer have the light illuminate on the instrument cluster. This will not affect the HomeLink in any way so you don't lose that functionality.

********************* ATTENTION!!!!! *********************

The highlight colors are NOT the wire colors. They are only there to highlight where the pin is from the factory and where its to go to disable the TPMS. The ONLY wire being changed is the grey wire with the yellow stripe (20GY/YL).
Click the image to open in full size.
To get at the TPMS/HomeLink connector, just remove the dome light and you can see the wires going into it. Remove the connector, use a pick or other fine tipped tool and depress the top of pin 2 so it will slide out. Push the pin back into the connector in the 6th position and reinstall the connector. Reinstall the dome light and you are finished.

use the search function "disable the TPMS" Our cars are old enough that the TPMS is not a Federal requirement.
I still want the functionality of the system though.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can read up on it here.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-sensors.html

Last edited by Bill F; 06-07-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004_
I still want the functionality of the system though.
Or this thread...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...01-basics.html

I opted to keep the car with things operational and it has saved me from being stranded.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Long before 'technology' came along (in the TPMS area), people just used a simple air pressure gauge. Simple, cost effective, and you do not have to rely on someone else to know if your 4 footprints on the road surface are safe. With all these electronic gadgets in our world, there may come a time when people will just KISS (Keep It Simple Silly). All too often I see many a vehicle (new ones as well) driving down the road with a (or more) nearly flat tire(s). Of those I can tell (not always can catch em at a light or stop sign) the people know and don't do anything about it. I don't know about anyone else BUT it seems to me a driver should be able to 'feel' a tire getting low from a leak. In all the years I have been driving, I could tell (other than the two times in my life I had catastrophic tire failures) when mine were leaking. I digress, just keep an inexpensive air pressure gauge and a tire puncture fix-it kit with the included (tested, knowing it works) compressor, and you should be totally good to go. I check my tires (on average) once a month (unless a huge temperature change occurs). We all are tending to rely more on these gadgets, when it comes to tire pressure, I will never. Besides the massive cost to repair/replace/calibrate this system, it just makes sense to KISS. This is why I finally did the TPMS bypass (when the sensor batteries started failing due to age) on my car.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Long before 'technology' came along (in the TPMS area), people just used a simple air pressure gauge. Simple, cost effective, and you do not have to rely on someone else to know if your 4 footprints on the road surface are safe. With all these electronic gadgets in our world, there may come a time when people will just KISS (Keep It Simple Silly). All too often I see many a vehicle (new ones as well) driving down the road with a (or more) nearly flat tire(s). Of those I can tell (not always can catch em at a light or stop sign) the people know and don't do anything about it. I don't know about anyone else BUT it seems to me a driver should be able to 'feel' a tire getting low from a leak. In all the years I have been driving, I could tell (other than the two times in my life I had catastrophic tire failures) when mine were leaking. I digress, just keep an inexpensive air pressure gauge and a tire puncture fix-it kit with the included (tested, knowing it works) compressor, and you should be totally good to go. I check my tires (on average) once a month (unless a huge temperature change occurs). We all are tending to rely more on these gadgets, when it comes to tire pressure, I will never. Besides the massive cost to repair/replace/calibrate this system, it just makes sense to KISS. This is why I finally did the TPMS bypass (when the sensor batteries started failing due to age) on my car.

DITTO! + See post #2

Old 06-09-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

You are missing the occasion when you pick up a nail or something when driving, perhaps you checked the air pressure in the tires less than five minutes ago.
I see them as a positive factor in auto safety, I try not to be a Luddite even at my age.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to me....I deflated all the tires and refilled them again, drove the car around for a while with the light on. Eventually after several stops and starts, it went out? Sometimes electronics go goofy for no apparent reason. It's hard to believe the sensors died. This happened about 3 or 4 months ago and has been okay ever since except for a low tire which happens with temperature change.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Robertwav1
It happened to me....I deflated all the tires and refilled them again, drove the car around for a while with the light on. Eventually after several stops and starts, it went out? Sometimes electronics go goofy for no apparent reason. It's hard to believe the sensors died. This happened about 3 or 4 months ago and has been okay ever since except for a low tire which happens with temperature change.
When the light goes on in a cold spell I think you will find that the tires were under inflated to start with and the cold snap was just enough to trip the sensor.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I also favor the advantage of the technology and knowing of a tire going low while at speed. Besides, I can't ever get over the feeling of how has this car been treated when I look at a used car where someone before me has gone and disconnected or bypassed things. What else could be wrong with this car that is now hidden?

Old 06-12-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
I also favor the advantage of the technology and knowing of a tire going low while at speed. Besides, I can't ever get over the feeling of how has this car been treated when I look at a used car where someone before me has gone and disconnected or bypassed things. What else could be wrong with this car that is now hidden?

Two points, 1, when your 'driving' you should be able to 'feel' when a tire is going low (on OEM tires, I have never 'modded' a suspension system beyond OEM and have no experience with how a vehicle rides when modded). I would think someone who knows the feel of his/her vehicle can easily tell when a tire is low while driving, I know I can. In the case of a catastrophic failure, a TMPS would have been moot anyway. 2, I have always advocated when people hack the wiring, that they leave a record of what they did OR return it to stock (the mod) before passing it on to someone else.

Relying on technology is fine until it lets you down. Like I've said earlier, engineers will make anything more complicated than it has to be because the person who drew up a specification never really thought it through in the first place. Keeps things a lot more expensive as well. Now, so many people have to have road repair plans, many cannot even change a flat tire (yeah I know we don't have a spare, its just an example of how dependent we are on others to 'fix' things). So, check your tire pressure manually, the monies you save ditching this crappy expensive TPMS system we all got stuck with, could pay for a few other things more necessary than this badly designed system.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:54 PM

Relying on technology is fine until it lets you down. Like I've said earlier, engineers will make anything more complicated than it has to be because the person who drew up a specification never really thought it through in the first place. Keeps things a lot more expensive as well. Now, so many people have to have road repair plans, many cannot even change a flat tire (yeah I know we don't have a spare, its just an example of how dependent we are on others to 'fix' things). So, check your tire pressure manually, the monies you save ditching this crappy expensive TPMS system we all got stuck with, could pay for a few other things more necessary than this badly designed system.
All well and good but TPMS is mandatory now and up here in the cold white North you will fail the safety test if it is not working.
It is a good thing in my mind, not everyone can feel a flat tire and when the light goes on I doubt many can say they felt the cars tires were a bit soft.
Soft tires affect not only handling but fuel mileage and tire wear as well.

Save
Save

Old 06-12-2016, 10:01 PM

Here in the states TPMS are not mandatory on vehicles prior to model year 2008. Some of us run two sets of rims/tires and keeping the system functional on both sets makes it challenging and even more expensive. I wish it had been made optional equipment.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:31 AM

Legislators care not about the impact of their laws, only the attention it generates with their ability to be re-elected into the gravy train office they currently hold (or self righteous control they wish to command). Come on, who is responsible to insure your tires hold air? Surely we don't abdicate that to a device or a lawmaker?