Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Will the Crossfire increase in value?

Old 12-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will the Crossfire increase in value?

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Crossfires will never be a '69 Z28 Camaro, or any other classic muscle car. They just don't have that kind of interest. As far as mods to the car...modifications can make a car unique. Especially when the mods are one of a kind. Or 20 of a kind. But unique regardless. This could appeal to that special car guy. But a classic. Never will that happen. It will make the bastard car list though. Better to drive and enjoy them as much as you can. There have been a few SRT6's coming out of collections with very low miles that are bringing average prices. I hope I am wrong...because mine aren't going anywhere now. I had that feeling to unload them again, but that feeling has passed. One more mod is coming.
I don't totally agree with this statement. Sure they aren't comparable to a lot of the higher end sports cars (like a Jaguar F type or equivalent age BMW M for example) but Z 28 Camaro's, Challengers, Mustangs etc were as common, if not more so than the Crossfire in their day and look at their prices now. As a result, even less desirable stuff from that era is starting to fetch more money. I'd be very surprised if in 10-20 years the SRT at least were climbing considerably. I personally rate the Crossfire highly and have only driven one once, but very much enjoyed it. As a result I'm saving up to get an SRT next summer to enjoy it. I can't see the values going anywhere but up from the near future onwards.

Originally Posted by sshistand@fuse.net
First, if you want short term increases in value a car is the wrong direction. I bought my Crossfire recently because once I drove a SRT6 I was hooked at any cost. My luck led me to an expert in your club that steered me in the direction of value if there is any. My luck found a 2006 SRT6 Coupe in the rare Machine Grey. A quick look at your handy statistics showed me that it is 1 of 47 SRT6 Coupes made in 2006. I saw that only about 6-9 actually made it to the US and only 2 were Machine Grey. 1 of those was shipped to Puerto Rico. I have the other one covered in my Garage.
I love this Car.
Like other things I have collected that are no longer made. Value is in quality,numbers produced, and condition. I have to keep this one original. Now I can look for a 2005 just to play with and learn. They are cheap considering what you get in good looks and performance.
Totally agree, great post. God now I want one right now!

Old 12-21-2016, 10:20 PM

The answer, alas, is no. The CF is a fun, inexpensive car (except parts) but it will never have collectibility well into the future. The competition is fierce (S2000 or MX 5 anyone?) and the market is just too soft for a car that was not successful. Horsepower is relatively cheap so the SRT is nothing special. I love my CF Roadster and it's my daily driver (Florida weather!) but you and I will be long gone to the pit stop in the sky before anyone thinks of it as an investment. Enjoy the drive now. Of course, knowing our luck Keith Martin or Haggerty will publicize it, and prices go up just as we hit 200k miles. BTW, I do want a stable: I have a blue roadster, but want a red coupe manual, and a SRT. Or, maybe just buy a nice used 911. There's a M-B SLK32 Kompressor AMG on my street; I may have to get to know that guy. Merry Christmas everyone.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy a SRT, an jump that guy's A$$ ,then he'll want to get to know you...

Old 12-21-2016, 11:46 PM

It would be close! The SLK32 AMG was 0-60 in 5.0; 0-100 in 12.1; and 1/4 mile in 13.5 at 105.2 mph (Road & Track numbers). R&T has 6.7; 16.2; and 14.9 at 96 respectively. Car and Driver has the SRT in 5.1; 12.4; and 13.5 at 107 respectively.

In the slalom, the Crossfire was almost on top of everyone at 69.6 mph. The AMG was a pokey 65.

Fun, fun, fun, till the man in blue takes the XFire away!

Old 12-22-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by mavxfire
The answer, alas, is no. The CF is a fun, inexpensive car (except parts) but it will never have collectibility well into the future. The competition is fierce (S2000 or MX 5 anyone?) and the market is just too soft for a car that was not successful. Horsepower is relatively cheap so the SRT is nothing special.
Surely this was the theme with 70's Challengers, Mustangs, Camaro's etc too? An look at the prices they are fetching now.
It's all subjective really, for none of us know for sure. Me? I'm just happy that I like a car that is relatively obscure that I'd enjoy driving, and look forward to getting an SRT and knowing I have a limited build car while not worrying about whether it's an investment.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:05 PM

Well, if you're willing to wait 40 years then the answer is... maybe. But within 40 years I'll be seeing if St. Peter also has a sticky key problem. Enjoy the CF now. Merry Christmas from sunny Florida!

Old 12-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I did not buy my roadster (new) as an investment - I bought it because I saw the coupe at the Detroit Auto Show and could not resist when the convertible version was announced. That, and an old longing for my 73 Triumph TR6. I picked up the SRT6 because I wanted low mileage, the rare engine, the same graphite, and settled for a coupe because I already had a ragtop. Without fail, during every trip to the store, someone will stop me in the parking lot or roll down a window at a light and comment on how sharp they look. That is enough payback on my investment for me.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:22 PM

Well said Goldwing.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Da55id
I admit it :-) But then, aren't we all supposed to buy low and sell high? The OP is asking if he should buy low, but wants a sure thing. For me, the sure thing is that these are amazing, beautiful and fun cars right now. Just this morning two separate stop light walk bys told me "wow that's a cool car!" Yeah...that feels nice.
"Buy low and sell high" works in the market, (the 2008/9 downturn may turn out to be the largest contributing factor in my ability to retire) - but thinking of a CAR as an INVESTMENT? That CAN work, but it is not going to happen nine or ten years after the car went out of production. All of this talk of our cars increasing in value is talking place MANY YEARS before it MIGHT happen.

As Bill said, these cars will never be like the 66 Mustang or 69 Camero....

Old 12-24-2016, 12:27 PM

I for one am glad for that, it means you get a hell of a car for the money these days.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Automotive Duder
I for one am glad for that, it means you get a hell of a car for the money these days.
If the Crossfire was selling for what it SHOULD be selling for, I'd not be in my third one in seven years.