Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New Stereo Philips CED 781

Old 07-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stereo Philips CED 781

Hi Guys ..Help Needed . I have just purchased a new Stereo for the car and cannot wait to fit it....Stop !!!.I live in the UK and approached a audio retailer to have it fitted .He said it was to much work and said no body would touch it....I was gutted . I had a look my self but to be honest I need some help.Could someone help please....many thanks Paul

Old 07-25-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: New Stereo Philips CED 781

Originally Posted by DJ Dax
Hi Guys ..Help Needed . I have just purchased a new Stereo for the car and cannot wait to fit it....Stop !!!.I live in the UK and approached a audio retailer to have it fitted .He said it was to much work and said no body would touch it....I was gutted . I had a look my self but to be honest I need some help.Could someone help please....many thanks Paul

Nice single DIN setup! Sounds like the guy did not wish to 'get involved' with this install. In my VERY limited knowledge of retrofitting another system into our cars, I found these ( http://www.philipscaraudio.co.nz/pdfs/ced781-1.pdf ), ( http://www.philipscaraudio.co.nz/pdfs/ced781-2.pdf ). Looking at the specs on the 'leaflet' link, you have the 4v outputs needed for the preamp BUT that's about the only thing I saw that people have said was needed for the amp. The owner/install manual is much bigger (typically) and it has more detailed specs. Your going to have quite a good time installing this (I do not see why it could not be installed BUT), especially making sure it isn't tilted back more than 20 degrees. Hope you can find an installer that can tackle this, make sure they are reputable (unless you want to tackle it yourself). Maybe someone more familiar with this system and retrofitting, can offer more detailed help? Good luck!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:56 PM

Thank you for the advise I will phone around tomorrow,,,it all seemed a good idea at the time..but I want to keep the car I love it...but needed to bring it into the 21st century..thank you again..Paul

Old 07-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ Dax
He said it was to much work and said no body would touch it...
I fail to see why not. I looked over GG's links, electrically, this is no more of a job than any other unit out there.

And from looking at the description of the physical install, seems standard to me, no different than my JVC.

What's the big deal?

I'd install that thing for my going rate of $90USD an hour - I suspect I'd be done in an hour, but my minimum would be $90.
What would the guy charge IF you bought something he liked?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-25-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I fail to see why not. I looked over GG's links, electrically, this is no more of a job than any other unit out there.

And from looking at the description of the physical install, seems standard to me, no different than my JVC.

What's the big deal?

I'd install that thing for my going rate of $90USD an hour - I suspect I'd be done in an hour, but my minimum would be $90.
What would the guy charge IF you bought something he liked?
I was thinking the same thing, bud. They're all the same on the inside.

How Socially Correct of me!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:30 AM

Thanks guys..the trouble is I live on the wrong side of the pond. The guys over here have no idea about the cross fire ..any of our car shops you mention our cars and all the faces draw a blank...if only I could find a garage here with a clue.

Paul

Old 07-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Agreed on the car in general - but our sound system is NOT that hard. (Of course, I work for JVCKenwood and have been in electronics for 34 years, unlike the typical "Car Audio" tech, installer or shop owner.....)

Old 07-28-2016, 11:59 AM

Pizzaguy - do you intstall 74mm throttle body's and cold air intakes.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Mark's on the road most of the time. ( pizzaguy )
If he can't do it for you, I can.
I'm 100 miles from Atlanta - west on I20 80 miles, then south 20 miles.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:15 PM

Sounds good George....I'm going to start with the AFE dry filters and Eurocharge tune. I like the stock look and have been looking at using the larger Mercedes air box and engine cover to keep it looking factory like. I'm curious, do you think the AFE filter with 74mm intake and larger MAF and stock air box would be an improvement. Not sure I want to do the Needwings single CAI.

Also, sorry for getting off topic. I had a friend install a Kenwood marine radio. Took him maybe 30 minutes to pre-wire the radio harness....and at most 30 minutes to remove radio and install new head unit using the stock amp. I also had him install infinity speakers (just woofer/midrange) that required no modification to door mount with bass blockers in line. There are great instructions for installing the radio on the forum, I reviewed and followed the wiring instructions. In hindsight I could have done it myself but went with a friend who's done it dozens of times.

Last edited by Rpaczan; 07-28-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Mark's on the road most of the time. ( pizzaguy )
If he can't do it for you, I can.
I'm 100 miles from Atlanta - west on I20 80 miles, then south 20 miles.

Hi George, do you also do the MAF descreen/debaffle?

Originally Posted by Rpaczan
Sounds good George....I'm going to start with the AFE dry filters and Eurocharge tune. I like the stock look and have been looking at using the larger Mercedes air box and engine cover to keep it looking factory like. I'm curious, do you think the AFE filter with 74mm intake and larger MAF and stock air box be an improvement. Not sure I want to do the Needwings single CAI.

You might want to do the TB upgrade before you do the tune, I hear (although not positive) the 'retune' for upgrades cost a fee.

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 07-28-2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Hmmm, I didn't realize there was a cost to retune. I haven't used it yet....that's something I'll keep in mind and verify prior to tuning.

Last edited by Rpaczan; 07-28-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Hi George, do you also do the MAF debaffle?

You might want to do the TB upgrade before you do the tune, I hear (although not positive) the 'retune' for upgrades cost a fee.
I did the tune on the wife's car... then throttle body and an intake.. "no need for retune" was my response from EC .. the cars computer has enough variable to work just fine without it.. much like adding a throttle body and not adding the tune at all.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rpaczan
Pizzaguy - do you intstall 74mm throttle body's and cold air intakes.
They hold "tech days" in the area... you sound like a perfect candidate to join them..

Mark will probably be along eventually and can fill you in.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm curious, do you think the AFE filter with 74mm intake and larger MAF and stock air box would be an improvement.
The stock airbox is quite restrictive, you might want to replace with a MB airbox that holds larger filters.
That along with the larger MAF tube ( keep the OEM MAF/IAT sensor though ) and 74mm TB should be on the same level as a single CAI.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I did the tune on the wife's car... then throttle body and an intake.. "no need for retune" was my response from EC .. the cars computer has enough variable to work just fine without it.. much like adding a throttle body and not adding the tune at all.

I wonder if they 'remapped' the orig 3.2 N/A tunes after I got mine redone in June of 2012? I did the MAF descreen/tube debaffle. then the tune. I then got the 74mm TB and EC said at the time I needed it retuned so I did the second (update) on the 16th June 2012 (our 38th wedding anniversary as a matter of fact). I did verify after the retune, I would not need another retune if I did a CAI because of the opening up of the intake with the descreen/debaffle and the 74mm TB.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Administrator

There is an active Crossfire family in the area - we meet about once every 1-2months, usually in Cobb county or on the shore of Lake Lainer for tech days. On August 12, we will be going on the famous "Georgia waterfall tour" together - you should join the group.

Charlie will lecture you on the frustrations with the TB mod, telling you not to bother - but then again, if you won't listen, he will help you do the mod(s) anyway.

Join "Crossfires in the South" on Facebook to keep up with what we are doing.

Here is our thead on this forum:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...13-2016-a.html

Old 07-28-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
There is an active Crossfire family in the area - we meet about once every 1-2months, usually in Cobb county or on the shore of Lake Lainer for tech days. On August 12, we will be going on the famous "Georgia waterfall tour" together - you should join the group.

Charlie will lecture you on the frustrations with the TB mod, telling you not to bother - but then again, if you won't listen, he will help you do the mod(s) anyway.

Join "Crossfires in the South" on Facebook to keep up with what we are doing.

Here is our thead on this forum:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...13-2016-a.html

LOL.. notice how very very few have issues? Don't guess that could have anything to do with these being "used" throttle bodies right?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
LOL.. notice how very very few have issues? Don't guess that could have anything to do with these being "used" throttle bodies right?
DITTO!! The first TB I got from used parts dealer was no good ( the throttle plate did not respond properly and would not idle); The second one, also used, has worked good for the past five years.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM

If I do the TB upgrade, I'll probably get a new one. They are about $250 w shipping from Poland on eBay (not sure if there's any import duty).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DROSSELKLAPP...dXB1OT&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Rpaczan; 07-29-2016 at 10:30 AM.