Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

"High Heat" light comes on

Old 08-06-2016, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "High Heat" light comes on

Ok, first post, but I did search discussions before asking. My 2006 Crossfire Coupe with 27K miles is virtually flawless, except for one issue that the seller told me about before I purchased and I was completely ok with it considering the immaculate condition and low mileage of this car. When the air conditioner is ON, after about 10 to 20 minutes I get a single "beep" sound and on the dash I get a "High heat" light. If I push in the cancel / reset stem, it goes away. After about 6 minutes with the air conditioner ON it beeps again with the High heat warning. And, if I wait another 6 or 8 minutes it does it again. The Temp Gauge remains in the middle zone and never goes higher, as in if there were a true high heat situation.

I ran the car for an hour on the freeway (outside air temperature was 90 degrees) with no air conditioner running and the beep never occurred, BUT, if I accelerate by pushing the pedal to the floor I get the same beep and High heat warning, OR if I hit the brakes hard as in a power stop I get the same been and High heat warning.

Anyone have a possible answer / fix for this? This is the ONLY issue I am having with this Crossfire.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: "High Heat" light comes on

I'm unaware of a "High Heat" warning. What does the light look ike? What is it called in the owner's manual?

Last edited by maxcichon; 08-06-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by TMC4232
Ok, first post, but I did search discussions before asking. My 2006 Crossfire Coupe with 27K miles is virtually flawless, except for one issue that the seller told me about before I purchased and I was completely ok with it considering the immaculate condition and low mileage of this car. When the air conditioner is ON, after about 10 to 20 minutes I get a single "beep" sound and on the dash I get a "High heat" light. If I push in the cancel / reset stem, it goes away. After about 6 minutes with the air conditioner ON it beeps again with the High heat warning. And, if I wait another 6 or 8 minutes it does it again. The Temp Gauge remains in the middle zone and never goes higher, as in if there were a true high heat situation.

I ran the car for an hour on the freeway (outside air temperature was 90 degrees) with no air conditioner running and the beep never occurred, BUT, if I accelerate by pushing the pedal to the floor I get the same beep and High heat warning, OR if I hit the brakes hard as in a power stop I get the same been and High heat warning.

Anyone have a possible answer / fix for this? This is the ONLY issue I am having with this Crossfire.

Thanks!
I suggest that you read through the owners manual here CLICK and find the light that comes on, your description is not understood by Maxcichon or myself.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-06-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Ohhhhhh, I think that I know what he's talking about - he's just making an incorrect assumption.

This has to be the famous "HI" message in the odometer window. It means "HI OIL WARNING" - it comes with a nice little beep to get you to look at the dash - and is caused by putting in more than 8 quarts when you change the oil.

I've driven Crossfires over 70,000 miles and have never seen the alarm since I changed to 8 quarts.

Some of see it a lot (or CAN see it a lot with 8 1/2 quarts in there) and I once thought that this had to do with variations in how the sensor is mounted or something - I have come to the conclusion that it also may be how we drive the car. Both my first Red Roadster and my Graphite would do this - the Graphite had 8 1/2 in it when I drove it home from Arizona. The drive home in the SE was only 400 miles, and I drove it easy - it got an oil change the day after I bought it, so I don't know if it would have been alarming on 8 1/2 or not - don't care, either, since it'll never have 8 1/2 in it as long as I own it.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-06-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Ohhhhhh, I think that I know what he's talking about - he's just making an incorrect assumption.

This has to be the famous "HI" message in the odometer window. It means "HI OIL WARNING" - it comes with a nice little beep to get you to look at the dash - and is caused by putting in more than 8 quarts when you change the oil.

I've driven Crossfires over 70,000 miles and have never seen the alarm since I changed to 8 quarts.

Some of see it a lot (or CAN see it a lot with 8 1/2 quarts in there) and I once thought that this had to do with variations in how the sensor is mounted or something - I have come to the conclusion that it also may be how we drive the car. Both my first Red Roadster and my Graphite would do this - the Graphite had 8 1/2 in it when I drove it home from Arizona. The drive home in the SE was only 400 miles, and I drove it easy - it got an oil change the day after I bought it, so I don't know if it would have been alarming on 8 1/2 or not - don't care, either, since it'll never have 8 1/2 in it as long as I own it.
Every time I saw HI I said HI back, I thought it was just such a friendly car.

I think you are correct in your idea. I always add 8 litres of oil and have no trouble, I changed it the other day and no HI warning. The level is just on the MAX level mark. I estimated that the car used

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:46 PM

I agree with the old Canuck. Pizza nailed it.

TOO MUCH MOTOR OIL.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:39 PM

Guys, my apologies!! Yes it just says "Hi", not High Heat. I spoke to Max today and that appears to be what my indicator beep and friendly "Hi" is all about. I will check the dipstick and see if it has too much oil. Just glad to know this was a simple issue. Thanks Max for your input on this and the other things we talked about!!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:26 PM

And........checked the oil and it was above the fill line. Siphoned out about a half a quart, oil level now corrected, took it for a long ride with the air conditioner ON and NO warning buzzer or "Hi" indicator
came on. Amazing!

Thanks to all for the input and solution!!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Administrator

So they overfilled it - I mean, mine would go off with the oil right on the fill mark. Like I said, I've run 1/2 quart low for 70,000 miles and never had an issue.

What I am getting at is, if they really did overfill it - did they even use the right oil? Gotta tell you, I'd change it today. Engines are expensive.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:00 PM

Point well taken Pizzaguy but the seller had it serviced with 8.5 quarts of Mobil One 0-40W. Oil looks good but I nonetheless will change the oil this weekend to start my own maintenance record.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Administrator

And maybe keep in mind that the little sticker that says "0W40 Recommended" is ten years old. MB is now telling Chrysler and Mercedes dealers to go with 5W40. Personally, I'm in the HOT south and drive my car kinda "spiritedly", I use Mobile 1 5W50.

The current MB approved list is right here:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.3_en.html (Notice the emphasis on 5W40)

Most of those oils are not available (well not in the USA). But enough of them are - I was using 5W40 Castrol Edge but found Mobile 1 5W50 online for the same price as the Castrol. I do'nt run anything not on the MB list, altho I am probably a bit OCD about it; many of us use the purple stuff.....

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-08-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:36 AM

TMC,

it was my pleasure helping you out, bud.

Nice to speak with you!

"You heard it here first, on Roller Derby!"

Max

Old 08-10-2016, 06:39 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Every time I saw HI I said HI back, I thought it was just such a friendly car. I liked this!!

I think you are correct in your idea. I always add 8 litres of oil and have no trouble, I changed it the other day and no HI warning. The level is just on the MAX level mark.

Some of see it a lot (or CAN see it a lot with 8 1/2 quarts in there) and I once thought that this had to do with variations in how the sensor is mounted or something - I have come to the conclusion that it also may be how we drive the car.
Like pizzaguy, the one time this warning came on for me was right after an oil change & then 2 days later at a ToD weekend in Fontana. HI OIL LEVEL came on all weekend while driving the various "twisties" in the mountains. Came home & siphoned out some oil. No more warning! And ever since, I change oil by refilling with only 8 quarts. And the dipstick always shows oil at the MAX level of the acceptable range.

I also find it interesting that onehunder80 can change oil using 8 liters (8.45 quarts), which is the recommended amount, and some of us that have refilled with 8.5 quarts (8.04 liters), which is pretty darn close, get the HI OIL LEVEL warning. I can't fathom the M-B oil level sensor being that sensitive. (Note: We're talking about a period when M-B didn't have the best reputation for building quality cars.) Add to that other XFire Owners that use 8.5 quarts during an oil change and have never gotten the HI OIL LEVEL alarm. Chalk one up for the XFire gremlins!!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-10-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:29 AM

Point well taken Pizzaguy but the seller had it serviced with 8.5 quarts of Mobil One 0-40W. Oil looks good but I nonetheless will change the oil this weekend to start my own maintenance record.
So they overfilled it - I mean, mine would go off with the oil right on the fill mark. Like I said, I've run 1/2 quart low for 70,000 miles and never had an issue.

What I am getting at is, if they really did overfill it - did they even use the right oil? Gotta tell you, I'd change it today. Engines are expensive.
The fact that the previous owner stipulated that the car was "serviced" leads me to believe that the oil change was performed elsewhere rather than a DIY task. And there are not many service shops that will add only 8.5 quarts of oil because they don't want to deal with a left over 1/2 quart of oil. So many of them will just dump the extra quart into the car, which is 9 quarts of oil, and that definitely will set off the HI OIL LEVEL alarm.

And if the service shop was a "quick change" version, they'll typically fill using their bulk system, which means that any synthetic oil & weight could have been used. Add to that a bulk loading system is never going to deliver EXACTLY the required amount of oil, especially in a car like the Crossfire that has a sensitive oil level sensor in the pan. Just my $0.02 worth.

Like pizzaguy recommended (and you confirmed for this coming weekend), I'd perform another oil change (including a new "fleece" filter element) and then know that this service was correctly done. Since your car is a NA (normally aspirated) version, the fleece filter element (which is an SRT-6 requirement) really isn't required. But many of us use anyway.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-10-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:11 AM

Recommend you reset the FSS (Flexible Service System) clock when you change oil. You should be able to locate several threads in the forum covering how to do that.

I'd also recommend you download a copy of both the Owners Manual (if you cars didn't come with one) and the Service Manual (either 2004 or 2005; 2005 version includes SRT-6). Great reference documents. Onehunder80 has a thread on the forum that has all the links to great reference materials, including these manuals. He's sorta the "gatekeeper".

Attached Files

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-10-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

And maybe keep in mind that the little sticker that says "0W40 Recommended" is ten years old. MB is now telling Chrysler and Mercedes dealers to go with 5W40. Personally, I'm in the HOT south and drive my car kinda "spiritedly", I use Mobile 1 5W50.

The current MB approved list is right here:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.3_en.html (Notice the emphasis on 5W40)

Most of those oils are not available (well not in the USA). But enough of them are - I was using 5W40 Castrol Edge but found Mobile 1 5W50 online for the same price as the Castrol. I do'nt run anything not on the MB list, altho I am probably a bit OCD about it; many of us use the purple stuff.....

Very good information! I see they just updated that listing!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:00 AM

All good stuff to know guys and I appreciate the input!!

Old 08-18-2016, 06:22 AM

All good stuff to know guys and I appreciate the input!!
You're welcome. One thing consistent from us on the fourm - we're full of IT! (knowledge, that is)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-18-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Very good information! I see they just updated that listing!
I disagree with Pizzaguy using a 5/50 multigrade oil, 5 is OK in a warm climate but a 50 grade acts like a 50 grade at the engine temperature and when 40 is recommended why change? The thicker oil is harder to pump at any temperature.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I disagree with Pizzaguy using a 5/50 multigrade oil, 5 is OK in a warm climate but a 50 grade acts like a 50 grade at the engine temperature and when 40 is recommended why change? The thicker oil is harder to pump at any temperature.
I also wouldn't use 5w50 oil even though it's on the recommended listing of oils for MB-229.3 spec (which applies to the Crossfire). I just don't operate the car at extreme operating conditions for any extended period of time to warrant using a multi-grade oil that is a little more stable in that operating environment. But like I stated, 5w50 is listed as an approved oil by M-B for meeting 229.3 spec and if someone wants to use that product, there doesn't seem to be any motor lubrication issue with using it.