Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Caught in the Crossfire: Chrysler mulls future of slow-selling sports coupe

Old 09-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Caught in the Crossfire: Chrysler mulls future of slow-selling sports coupe

Originally Posted by x'ed
3.5 v6 would be the best selling point, imho, considering it does 5.3 in the slk which is much heavier. you would be looking at high 13's (probably 13.9) thus making it directly competitive with the z.
The 3.5 has more hp but it also has a different tranny! And the SRT6 is cheaper and faster!

Old 09-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Caught in the Crossfire: Chrysler mulls future of slow-selling sports coupe

I don't know that I agree that Chrysler has mishandled the Crossfire. The stated purpose of producing the car was to enhance the brand. I think that most people who walk onto a Chrysler lot have noticed the Crossfire. The car may not meet their needs. It is not a car they would even consider buying but they do look at it. It's part of their buying experience and that, marketing people will tell you, is what is being sold.
My brother bought a Chrysler minivan for his wife last year. They drove it up on a visit and he was very proud of the car. He needed a minivan for his family and was glad he bought it. But he couldn't stop talking about the Crossfire in the showroom!

Old 09-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Caught in the Crossfire: Chrysler mulls future of slow-selling sports coupe

^^^Bingo...we have a winna!

Old 09-29-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
The 3.5 has more hp but it also has a different tranny! And the SRT6 is cheaper and faster!
c'mon dan, it would be about substantially cheaper than the srt-6 without a mercedes emblem and no convertible hardtop. you don't make sense very often. the crossfire was about 15k less then the slk 320.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnie
I don't know that I agree that Chrysler has mishandled the Crossfire. The stated purpose of producing the car was to enhance the brand. I think that most people who walk onto a Chrysler lot have noticed the Crossfire....
Are you kidding? I don't know where you live but on 9 out of 10 Chrysler lots I pass or visit, I have to look for the Crossfire. Usually hidden behind a row of 40 trucks that all look alike. Seems like if they want to sell more cars they need to move the trucks out of the way. They (trucks) are big enough to be seen on the back of the lot anyway. Maybe it's just a Midwest thing.

Love my Crossfire. 3.5 upgrade at existing price would be an improvement otherwise price should drop. If there is a problem now wait til the lower cost Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Skye start flooding the market. I know, different class of vehicle, but volume sales are relate to price.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:20 PM

I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania. I pass two chrysler dealers on a weekly basis. Each has a Crossfire front and center, first row in the lot.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Visibility isn't an issue in the DC area either, finding someone who knows the car to sell it is another thing. Most of the salesman I sat with didn't know what they were selling. They never made any attempt whatsoever to mention the Mercedes connection which in my mind is one of the key selling points. Others didn't know for instance there was no spare tire. This probably isn't just DC dealers, I would guess its the same everywhere and that's not to say there aren't still a few good sales people out there that make it a point to know the product they represent.
I like the Xfire for many reasons, speed isn't one of them (no way I'm paying for an SRT). It doesn't have to be fast, it just looks fast! Its a unique looking car, I like the rake, the Mercedes tie in, the different tire sizes and its just a cool looking car that you just don't see that often. No one really had to sell me the car. After I found it was available I researched it and decided it was something I had to have. I would expect the bulk of people in my age group (almost old) would probably lean towards a regular Mercedes or Lexus or Audi and that's fine with me. I've only seen a few of my car on the road (5 to be exact since I picked it up July 15) and that makes me feel like I've got something very special.
Pat

Old 09-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular

In my opinion, sales numbers don't really explain the success of the Crossfire. If you only look at it in terms of sales, it seems like a big disappointment to Chrysler. But if you look at it as a method to define the brand to the general public, I think it was more of a success. Before the 300C came around, the Crossfire defined the new Chrysler "look". Similar fascias can be found on the Pacifica, and the latest re-skin of the Sebring's. And, there have been a lot of people that have told me how sharp they think my car is. The limitations of only being a two seater, and being so tiny kept them away. But they knew instantly what it was, and knew that it was a Chrysler.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Thumbs down Re: Caught in the Crossfire: Chrysler mulls future of slow-selling sports coupe

i think chrysler has done a poor job of promoting and advertising the crossfire.

you never see advertisements in newspaper's or magazine's, and rarely see tv advertisements.

when i talk to people who own sports cars, most prefer the honda s2000 and nissan z350 because of their familiarity with the brand name in terms of reliability.

most people you talk to who are interested or have sports cars don't have any clue about the crossfire. they do not realize that's it's 80% german, built in germany, with mercedes platform and parts.

you would think chrysler would try to capitalize on this in their promotion in order to enhance sales.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:36 AM

I never owned a Chrysler product not to mention Dodge as well. I have always owned GM products and Toyota. So you would not find me wandering around a Chrysler show room. I bought my XFire on research. It took me 3 months to make up my mind. I almost bought the new Miata 2006 limited. But after I hit the road and looked on lots I made up my mind - Xfire!

350Z - History of Camber problems.
RX8 - Gas Hog.
Corvette- Price considerations, but I do love Corvettes.
Solstice - Cheesy top, 1st year production. I waited for 2nd XFire 1st was great.
S2000 - Wanted a coupe, I do not like Convertibles.
Audi TT - $$$- plus all wheel drive?
SC430 - 2 unusable seats and $$$.

I would say that most of these cars are not overly advertised and you do not see a lot of them on the road. Probably (at least where I live) the Miata has the most numbers on the road. Corvette 2nd.

Now for a question; How many Xfire owners was this a first time Chrysler buy?

Old 10-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Forum Regular

...I assume another reason this car doesn't sell is that people over six feet have a tough time fitting behind the wheel. I am 5'11", and if I was just a bit taller, my left knee would hit the steering wheel when releasing the clutch. It's hard to see out of, and I find myself ducking to see traffic signals above me (when waiting for them to turn green). The car works for me just fine, and in fact I love the "gun slit" view out the front. But I'll bet a lof of people that drive it, leave the dealership not wanting to buy because they are too tall and can't see out of it.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Forum Regular

I never owned a Chrysler product until my Crossfire. I looked a Dodge pickup years ago, but have always been a Ford man - and bought a Ford truck instead (It didn't help that the thing drove like junk and a piece of the dashboard fell off while I was test driving it...). I find that the salespeople don't know Jack sh*t about these cars. When I bought mine I asked what the little button in the center of the console was - he didn't know (mirror adjustment) . That is just sad. I was telling him things after spending ten minutes with the owners manual that he didn't know after two years of selling them.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Forum Regular

Sad but true, however these days it's not only car salesmen that don't know their products. It's everywhere. In general, most sales people in large electronic stores are just one example of retailers not knowing their product.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:34 PM

My last Chrysler product purchase before the Crossfire was a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. Like the Xfire the Roadrunner was a fun car. That was a long time ago.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:56 PM

First Chrysler product I've bought, and I can assure you that it's only because of the MB angle. If it hadn't been for that, there's no way you were finding me on a Chrysler lot. Agree that the salesmen don't know anything about it. My guy flat-out admitted it to me, but it didn't bug me because he was helpful in other ways. And, I know how to read the manual.

I'm seeing more and more of them on the roads around here (NJ), and I can't say I really like it.