Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

Info for first time attendees to the Dragon meets - North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts
Default re: Info for first time attendees to the Dragon meets - North Carolina

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
CAA#4 made me realize ^^^^ this is the crossfire "family".. And that's exactly why the two day trip over and two day trip back made the vacation to do list..
He stated it well, didn't he?

Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes he did....won't make the spring fling as I have not been working so when I return to work next week, I am sure I will be busy straight thru till summer. I need to make up 4 months of rehab. I will NOT miss the fall meet again. NO vacations to the islands planned by my wife. Hope to be done modding the coupe for good by then, but the roadster usually gets Dragon Duty. Anyway, it is a worth getting away whether to play in the curves or just enjoy the area scenery. Can't go wrong whatever your passion.

BTW: For you drag racers. There is a track at Maynardsville TN. A good 1hr away from the hotel. If interests are there, I can check to see if they have private rentals. I use to vacation in that area yrs back. Beautiful drive to get to the track once you clear Knoxville. State Rd 33 runs up to Norris Lake area. Just a thought.

Last edited by oledoc2u; 12-29-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we are in the mountains do you think there a chance of snow and road salt? Since some of you have been there before what the weather like in March? In Pa. March we usually have one big snow storm. My car has never been on salt roads or bad weather so far. If the weather is bad in Pa. I will trailer my car down to N.C.

Attached Thumbnails Info for first time attendees to the Dragon meets - North Carolina-user3267_pic24357_1385659013_thumb.jpg  
Old 12-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by kstewart
Since we are in the mountains do you think there a chance of snow and road salt? Since some of you have been there before what the weather like in March?
In Pa. March we usually have one big snow storm. My car has never been on salt roads or bad weather so far. If the weather is bad in Pa. I will trailer my car down to N.C.
Never in the past 8 years I have gone there
Cool days and cooler nights but unless we have rain usually a beautiful time to be in the mountains

Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

I've been there ALMOST as often as Gary - and I've never seen bad roads. Trailering the car down might be a good idea, considering where you are coming from, but don't worry about it once you get there.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

And for the new people.. Respect the Dragon till you know what it is! Then you can test it..

Old 12-18-2015, 09:59 AM

Being a new Newbie as you call it I hope I don't offend anyone because I don't drink or smoke. All my friends that did drink and smoke are now dead. I am a car nut as some people call me because I do enjoy restoring antique car which I have done for many years. My wife and I do enjoying tours to see different parts of the states. I have drove a Model T on a 1800 mile tour which was one of the best tours I have been on. I do hope this tour is as nice as any tour we have been on. The Crossfire is new to me. I have been learning all about it on the Crossfire form which I do enjoy. I look forward in doing the tour in the mountains.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
All of the videos I see of the "Dragon" look too congested to me. I have driven Skyline drive with my family in my Town & Country and loved it, it was pretty laid back, and we stopped at every other lookout at least.
Its all about the day of the week and time of the day. You can run the whole thing and not see another car. Most people start on the NC side. When you go down look for police. If you go down and not see any you can run back as fast as you want. There is no way for them to get behind you so if there are none on the way down, there wont be any on the way back.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Travish
Its all about the day of the week and time of the day. You can run the whole thing and not see another car. Most people start on the NC side. When you go down look for police. If you go down and not see any you can run back as fast as you want. There is no way for them to get behind you so if there are none on the way down, there wont be any on the way back.
I don't necessarily want to go fast, but I do like it. Sometimes I like to take it easy and don't want some hothead behind me, especially when there isn't a lot of places to pull over and let them pass. If it isn't crowded, I may be interested.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Forum Regular

I don't necessarily want to go fast, but I do like it. Sometimes I like to take it easy and don't want some hothead behind me, especially when there isn't a lot of places to pull over and let them pass. If it isn't crowded, I may be interested.
They added a ton of pull overs about 2 years ago. Many more if you are headed towards NC than headed into TN. When I go on the bike if I catch up to someone who wont use the pull offs I just pull over and wait about a minute or 2 and pull back out. They are far enough ahead it takes a while to catch them again but most people will be nice and pull over. Always give them a "thanks" wave.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

All of the videos I see of the "Dragon" look too congested to me.
It depends on if it is a weekday and/or the time of the day

Sometimes I like to take it easy and don't want some hothead behind me, especially when there isn't a lot of places to pull over and let them pass.
If it isn't crowded, I may be interested.
There are dozens of paved marked turn offs made for that very reason
If someone is more aggressive than you then simply pull of to the right and allow them to pass

I want to stress that we are only discussing an 11 mile stretch of road
We enjoy hundreds of miles of beauty on many of the roads in and around the mountains over the time spent there.
I don't know of anyone who left after the weekend and didn't enjoy their driving experiences.

Here is one example of someone at our fall GTG that was having a LOT OF FUN

Old 12-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Forum Regular

I agree, it's not just Deals Gap. It's the whole area. I know Swain and Graham counties better than my own and I am 5 hours away.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 AM

Sure am looking forward in coming down there. Today its 5 below 0 here. Should go up to 20 above. My Crossfire is sitting in a warn garage all covered up since October. Its never been in snow or bad weather so far. My brother in law wants to get one and is looking for one in Florida where they stay for winter. They want a Roadster with low mileage. If you know of a nice one let me know. He not getting mine! Did go to the Radio Shack to get radios to use down there. I need to check them out. I also carry a Fire extinguisher in our car to be safe. I think everyone should have one.