Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

Info for first time attendees to the Dragon meets - North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info for first time attendees to the Dragon meets - North Carolina

As one of the new participants in Tail of the Dragon here is what I hope will be useful info assembled from posts and also conversations with Gary (Valk)

The Fontana Lodge site says to arrive during daylight hours. Fewer challenges.
Gas up before arrival.

Names of participants can be found in post #2 on the official post "Tail of the Dragon" thread made by VALK and Pizzaguy

Meet in the lobby of the lodge at 9am Sat morn.

Gather in line with your Crossfire at a designated area on the Fontana property to proceed as a single group convoy to Fontana Dam for group pics etc.
After that participants will break up into leader led groups depending on driving orientation (all that to say that non-spiritied drivers can stay out of the way of the spirited group). Lunch with assigned group at sites knowing we will be coming.

It is highly recommended that everyone has FRS radios and batteries.

Reports from users say batteries only last about 4 hours.
This is a great idea for continuous contact with group leader.
Cellular service isn't available in many areas of travel each day

I hope this is helpful.
Alicia

Last edited by Valk; 04-14-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts
Default re: Info for first time attendees to the Dragon meets - North Carolina

Thanks for that recap Alicia.

Just to add that we usually try to gather in smaller groups for dinner on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for those who wish to eat at the Fontana Lodge.
There is a nice restaurant inside the lodge called the The Mountview Restaurant at Fontana Village Resort
Then there is also the
The Wildwood Grill at Fontana Village Resort on the property but separate from the lodge just a short walk away.
Great sandwiches and appetizers to be enjoyed.

Actually on Sunday we also will have group leaders making runs again.
Might be the same set of runs with different leaders but you can choose a different route than you ran on Saturday.
Some also choose to head into Cherokee or Gatlinburg and do some shopping etc.
Plenty to do to fill your time while at this event.
This is your vacation or weekend getaway so make the most of it.

Just spend some time on Friday evening in the lobby at the lodge talking with us who have been here year after year.
We can offer up some good tips based on what you want to do.

We will hold a drivers meeting on Friday in the lobby around 9pm to introduce the group leaders to everyone and talk a little about the weekend runs.

We also will ask all the first timers to raise a hand to be recognized.

Please don't be shy, with this large group we don't want anyone to be left out.

Lets have a great weekend everyone !!!

Gary

Last edited by Valk; 04-14-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With more then 60 cars i;m sure there be more then 4 groups , and some may go out on there own , which is ok to , some run fast some don;t just remeber you play somtime you got to pay TN , NC best will know that we are coming and will be on the look out , they even come through fontana just show us that they are there , Running hard all day long can take it out of you , the perfect day is about 4 to 5 Hrs long , 2 out and then Lunch and two back for a cold one . alot time susan and will go out on are own and run hard for short spurts at time, this cover the need for speed and still be on the safe side There are alot of great Drivers in this group and staying with them may be more then most can stand all day , The big thing is to be safe always run in your comfront zone , we want all that come to have fun and to come back ,

Old 09-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info everyone , thanks. I think i might join the moderate group, but they all sound like fun.
Cant wait.
Andy

Old 09-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKING57
Good info everyone , thanks. I think i might join the moderate group, but they all sound like fun.
Cant wait.
Andy
The moderate group is a great place to be. If you happen to think they're going to fast for you drop back to the back of the group. Another group can easily be formed back there. We're all there to have a good time.

BTW you probably won't get into 4th on the dragon, unless you happen to spot the one straight away.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
The moderate group is a great place to be. If you happen to think they're going to fast for you drop back to the back of the group. Another group can easily be formed back there. We're all there to have a good time.

BTW you probably won't get into 4th on the dragon, unless you happen to spot the one straight away.
What Nick said.

Also, another good reason to bring radios - nothing wrong with saying, "I can't/dont-feel-comfortable keeping up"... usually you are not alone.

As Nick says, "We're all there to have a good time", so if you are not having a good time, get on the radio and say so and at LEAST let us know you are dropping back. Don't worry, we'll get behind someone slow and you'll catch up soon anyway.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AKING57
I don't want to be in the "Cruiser class" if i never get out of third gear, but i also dont want to be shredding my tires in the "Butts on Fire group"
I have watched some of Pizza Guy's video's on You Tube and he doesn't seem that crazy, but its hard to tell the speed he is going
Well, it sounds like the Tourist Class (aka "Cruiser class")ought to start figuring out where to stow their walkers in their XFs! Actually, it is a group of people who CAN and HAVE smoked tires, gotten tickets, run off the road and went into tachycardia in by gone driving days. They just prefer a break now and then so they can actually see something. BTW: On our maiden run last Spring we easily hit 90 (down hill on the way to lunch!) Just sayin' there's enough fun to be had in all levels of this great event. You'll have great memories from any facet of the weekend. Now if you want to actually SEE East Tennessee....

Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pacemaker
Well, it sounds like the Tourist Class (aka "Cruiser class")ought to start figuring out where to stow their walkers in their XFs! Actually, it is a group of people who CAN and HAVE smoked tires, gotten tickets, run off the road and went into tachycardia in by gone driving days. They just prefer a break now and then so they can actually see something. BTW: On our maiden run last Spring we easily hit 90 (down hill on the way to lunch!) Just sayin' there's enough fun to be had in all levels of this great event. You'll have great memories from any facet of the weekend. Now if you want to actually SEE East Tennessee....
We had great day last spring , Lunch in a small NC Town was great , and drive down Moonshiners 28 was alot fun , it was nice easy day with some great people that i now call close friends,

Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM

2013 - Name tags, name tags, name tags - please! I really missed not knowing who so many 'known to others' were - on the forum or in real life! Hard to say - ' oh- I've read your posts' if ya don't know who all these folks are. And I really wanted to know who some of the owners were/are!

Alicia

Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Alicia
2013 - Name tags, name tags, name tags - please! I really missed not knowing who so many 'known to others' were - on the forum or in real life! Hard to say - ' oh- I've read your posts' if ya don't know who all these folks are. And I really wanted to know who some of the owners were/are!

Alicia
YES !!!

+----------------------------------------+
+.............forum name..................+
+.............real name.....................+
+.............city, state.....................+
+----------------------------------------+

Old 12-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dementors
... My goal is to attend my first ever Dragon in the fall of 2013...

Thanks to Alicia for the newbie thread, very helpful. Sounds like an informal get together on the Friday evening with a drivers meeting later that night with scheduled runs Sat and Sun. I am trying to understand a travel plan there and back since I am about 12 to 13 hours away. And yes, I know it is 10 months away but I am a planner!

I have the same length drive you do but from the opposit direction. Niagara Falls, ON
This past fall I arrived friday ~5pm which gave time to snack, shower and mingle before the meeting
Stay at the hotel sunday night and leave early (3-5) monday morning and drive strait through until home. Ready for work on Tuesday
If you leave sunday, it is way to much traveling in such a short time and I was worn out monday and wished I staied another full day.
That sunday is a enjoyable, relaxing cruising day with no stress.
This is an event I have taken a day off work for... well worth it.

Last edited by Beaner; 12-15-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Quick question. I have never been to any of the tail of the dragon events and was thing about heading down to the one this April. Just curious, are there many younger folks that go to these events? I don't want to be the odd man out. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Well, we ALL act like big kids - so what's the difference?

But anyway, JHM2K, Boilerup, Beaner, Rudy, Kim, Chuk, Alicia's daughter (meeting her would be worth the trip!) and Nick are all in your age range. One of our newest members is from your part of Ohio and is your age as well.... maybe you can convoy down.

But you'll find that EVERONE is a car/crossfire nut and we have a LOT in common. Also, the Gen Coupes are generally a very young bunch and they will be there as well (very good bunch of people, most of THEM are nuts enough to run the Dragon at speed after dark!)

Call the lodge, reserve a room and tell the boss you plan to have the Bubonic Plague that week and won't be at work from Wednesday to Monday.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ibedoughboy
Quick question. I have never been to any of the tail of the dragon events and was thing about heading down to the one this April. Just curious, are there many younger folks that go to these events? I don't want to be the odd man out. Thanks!
We come from all around the country and all ages so plan to join us and don't think twice about fitting in.
Everyone at these meets fit in and you will leave with memories and friends that will last a lifetime.
Fontana Village Resort. Your Great Smoky Mountain Destination. Fontana Dam, NC

Last edited by Valk; 07-26-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a "Newbie" myself this past fall, I can say that no one was a stranger. I plan on being there on Thursday late afternoon and leave on Monday. Sitting in the lobby I realized that it did not matter what you drove Base, Limited, Srt6, Coupe, or Roadster or your age 18 - 80 you were part of the group/family. Hope to see you there!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by SRQfun
As a "Newbie" myself this past fall, I can say that no one was a stranger. I plan on being there on Thursday late afternoon and leave on Monday. Sitting in the lobby I realized that it did not matter what you drove Base, Limited, Srt6, Coupe, or Roadster or your age 18 - 80 you were part of the group/family. Hope to see you there!
Your were such nice young man,until you CAME TO DRAGON , Now he drives his Crossfire like stole it ,OK OK OK you can bring my car back now , LOL LOL !!!!!!! it you young ones that can;t keep up ,!! Really, young and old we have one hell of good time ,

Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM

Sounds like a good time. I'll finally have a good excuse to use up some of my vacation.

Drving down Thurs night for the weekend sound like good plan, then I think I'll head over to Charlotte for the rest of the week to visit with family. Hopefully the weather will be warm enough for top down driving! Hopefully I can convince my dad to get the car in his shop for ding/ dent removal and paint before April. The PO liked to street park I'm guessing.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

A worthwhile video about the Tail of the Dragon . . .

The List #0011: Drive the Tail of the Dragon - Autoblog

Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Administrator

They violated rule #1, don't go running thru there hot if you haven't run thru easy first - to see what the LEO, loose dog, bicycle, etc. situation is first.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQfun
CAA#4 made me realize ^^^^ this is the crossfire "family".. And that's exactly why the two day trip over and two day trip back made the vacation to do list..

Quick Reply: Info for first time attendees to the Dragon meets - North Carolina