Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

LARS' Saturday Winery Run - SIGN UP HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts
Default LARS' Saturday Winery Run - SIGN UP HERE!

If you intend to go with Lars, please post here -
He needs an estimate of how many cars and people he will have so that he can advise the Winery's to be ready for us.

From Lars:

Crossfire Enthusiasts: Fall 2016 Crossfire Event Fontana Dam Planned Multiple Stop Winery Run Information

In past years, a few of us independents have ventured out on our own routes and runs with three or so cars & couples. During the last Crossfire event at Fontana in the Spring of 2016, I assembled and led a last minute formed group through East Tennessee to several wineries. A great time was had by all. I think we have 5 or 6 in our group. We had tried to visit four different wineries and take a break for lunch. Lunch became a time consuming event where we stopped, so we will plan a little better for this Fall’s run and provide the restaurant advanced notice so that they can be prepared for our group. We also became bogged down in traffic in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg creeping traffic that consumed a lot of our time as well. This Fall the run will be completely avoiding Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg areas due to tourist traffic congestion.

Our October 1st, Saturday run will take us South from the Fontana Lodge to Hayesville, NC then to Young Harris, GA, then to Blairsville GA and then to Murphy, NC before we return to the Fontana Lodge. This is going to be about a 7 to 8 hour total time run, with 4 to 5 stops to include a lunch stop in Hayesville, NC. We are planning our route to arrive back at the lodge no later than 6:00 pm.

Depending upon the number of cars participating for this run, we may need a Co-Leader that will run in the middle of the pack and lead the portion of the group with them should the entire group become separated. The larger the number of cars, the easier it is to get other non-Crossfire traffic in between us and we can become separated. Should this occur the front group will eventually find a location to pull off the road and wait for the lagging group to catch up, then we will resume our group run as best as we can. Everyone is encouraged to bring two-way radios to maintain communication between the cars in the group.

This run will be led at or near the posted speed limits or slightly faster when the roads travel permit.
This run will not be an aggressive, high speed, or driving challenging route for any driver.

We travel an established route, visiting several wineries with vineyards and excluding the tasting room only retail type stores. Most locations have a beautiful winery view with country scenery and outdoor seating areas to enjoy while visiting the winery and sampling their wines. Many decide to purchase wines individually. Usually with a group we can get a multi-bottle purchasing discount. There are wine related gifts and decorations for your home. Many of us wind up acquiring those as well.

Planned Winery Route

1. Fontana Lodge Start: Leave lodge no later than 10 AM, Saturday. Earlier would be better if possible.

2. First winery stop is Eagle Fork Vineyards & Winery, 8 Cedar Cliff Rd. Young Harris, GA . Phone 828.389.8466. This winery is located just East of Hayesville, NC. Arrive +/- 11:30 AM. Travel distance from lodge is about 73 miles and about an 1 hour 30 minute drive from Fontana Lodge to winery. 45 minutes is allocated on our schedule for this visit. Depart for Hayesville NC Lunch stop and Eagle Fork Vineyards & Winery +/- 12:15 pm.

3. Next stop is for lunch in Hayesville, NC. This is about a 10 minute drive West of the winery. There are several restaurants we can choose from to include BBQ, Subway, Pizza and a Hamburger place. We will take a vote and determine which one before we leave the lodge so we can give them some advance notice of our arrival and number of guests to expect. Our schedule allows for a 45 minute lunch stop then we will resume our route. We will depart Hayesville at +/- 1:00 pm for the Crane Creek winery.

4. Our second winery stop is Crane Creek Vineyards, 916 Crane Creek Rd, Young Harris, GA 30582, Phone 706.379.1236. From Hayesville, NC lunch stop this is about 10 miles and a 15 minute run. Arrive about 1:10 PM, allow a 45 minute visit and depart around 2:15 PM.

5. Our third winery stop is Odom Springs Winery & Vineyard, 637 Odom Rd, Blairsville, GA 30512 Phone 706.745.3094. This run is about 21 miles & 30 minute run from Crane Creek Vineyards. Arrive about 2:45 PM, allow a 45 minute visit and depart around 3:30 PM. (Note: If anyone elects to exclude the fourth winery stop at Nottley River Valley Winery, the run back to lodge is about the same distance as if you make the fourth winery stop. If you exclude the stop at Nottley River valley, you should arrive back at the lodge about 45 minutes sooner than if you make the fourth winery stop either individually or as the group. Opting out of the Nottley River Valley stop should put you back at the lodge shortly after 5:00 pm. We plan to take a group vote regarding the fourth stop and is also dependent upon our time schedule late in the day.

6. Our fourth winery stop will be Nottley River Valley Winery & Vineyards, 1150 Old Culberson Rd, Murphy, NC 28906, Phone (828)837-7822. About 13 miles & 25 minutes from Odom Springs Winery & Vineyard. This stop can become optional due to our time schedule late in the day should anyone want to get back to the lodge earlier than the planned 4 stop route will allow. The return route to the lodge from Odom Springs Winery goes very close to the Nottley River Winery. Arrive winery about 4:00 PM, allow a 45 minute visit and depart around 4:45 PM.

7. The last run is back to the Fontana Lodge from which ever winery is the last stop for you individually or the entire group. This is about 67 miles and 1 hour 15 minutes back to the lodge from Nottley River Winery. Arrive back at Lodge around 6:00 PM.

Regards,

Your Winery Run Group Leaders

Lars & Joyce Keller
2005 SRT6 SSB Roadster
License Plate: CRUZN42

Lawrence W. (Larry/Lars) Keller, Cell: 404.245.5481
Email: Larskeller@comcast.net

Lars and Joyce Keller, Acworth, GA
2005 SRT6 Roadster, SSB Metallic (Lars Babe), Michelin Super Sport Tires

2010 Fall Dragon Tail Run
2010 Winter Savannah, GA GTG
2011 Spring Dragon Tail Run
2011 San Diego CA to Atlanta GA

2011 Fall Dragon Tail Run
2012 Spring Dragon Tail Run
2013 & 2014 Spring and Fall Dragon Events
2014 First Annual Run to the Sun and Fun GTG
2015 Fall Dragon & Run to Jim n' Trishes
2016 Spring & Fall Dragon Fontana Event

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-25-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: LARS' Saturday Winery Run - SIGN UP HERE!

Aw shucks, count me in Lars.
( George )

Old 09-24-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

sign us up Jessie & Steve TENTATIVE. LARS please check your email inbox. I sent you an email concerning the operating hours of the wineries and associated costs.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Lars:
I am asking those who may not have a passenger for the winery run if their spare seat is available for anyone who wants to join the run. Please post in this thread if you have a spare seat available in your Crossfire for the event run. We can offer these up at the group meeting on Friday night.

Also, we are having an issue finding a restaurant in Hayesville NC that can accommodate our group for lunch. The first winery stop, Eagle Fork Vineyards, has advised us that they have a spacious pavilion with chairs and tables overlooking the lake and winery that we can use for eating a sack lunch if we so desire. They have also offered to accommodate our group at our anticipated 11:30 am arrival time which is 30 minutes before their regular opening time of 12 noon. I am going to ask that the participants consider stopping at a fast food restaurant of their choice in Hayesville on the way through, grab a Subway, a burger, or other to go meal and everyone dine at the winery. We can discuss more at the group meeting. Our schedule will be tight to get in all four wineries if we spend too long on lunch.

Attending:

Lars & Joyce Keller (Group Leaders)
Alaxfire - George
Osofast2 - Ray & Susan
rogerlemoine - Roger & Pam
Richard Paczan
Richard Clark
Steve and Jessie Zimmer
Erzer - Eric & Ruth
GlycoMD - Jane
Iamfink2 - Pat & Mickie

WesMichaels - Wes & Carole
Franc Rauscher

Last edited by Larskeller; 09-26-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok !!!!! Susan say this is a go , put Ray and Susan on the List ,

Old 09-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Lars, Pam and I would love to join you on this run. Sounds like fun

Thanks for organizing it

Roger and Pam Lemoine
Aero Blue SRT6 Roadster
SOuth Carolina "BLUFIRE"

Old 09-25-2016, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up for winery run participants. As of Sunday night we have had acknowledgment of participation. Including myself as the group leader
We now have 7 cars and 12 people. Two cars have single drivers with no passenger. Each ride along seat could possibly be available if a non-driver would like to join the group. Stay tuned, We will update the list of participants as we receive more acknowledgements this week. Sign up as late as Friday night at the lodge group meeting!

Lars

Old 09-26-2016, 11:20 AM

Sign me and the wife up.

Go ahead and count Jane up to in case she's not watching forum.

Not sure about the grumpy old man Franc and his happy wife.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Erzer
Sign me and the wife up.
Go ahead and count Jane up to in case she's not watching forum.
Not sure about the grumpy old man Franc and his happy wife.

Got ya added ...with Jane

Old 09-26-2016, 01:15 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Put Pat & Mickie on the list. We went last spring with the group and had a great time.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Iamfink2
Put Pat & Mickie on the list. We went last spring with the group and had a great time.
You have both been added in Post #4

Old 09-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Wes and Carole Michaels want to attend the winery run.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by WesMichaels
Wes and Carole Michaels want to attend the winery run.
You have both been added in Post #4

Old 09-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Larskeller
Attending:

Lars & Joyce Keller (Group Leaders)
Alaxfire - George
Osofast2 - Ray & Susan
rogerlemoine - Roger & Pam
Richard Paczan
Richard Clark
Steve and Jessie Zimmer
Erzer - Eric & Ruth
GlycoMD - Jane
Iamfink2 - Pat & Mickie
WesMichaels - Wes & Carole

Crumpy wants to spend Saturday in the hotel spa. So not only will I attend this wine run but, I have a spare seat in the car. Unless Gary takes me up on the offer, it is available.

Preferably a nubile female but, at my age I'll settle for anything.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I already have dibs on any nubiles.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Crumpy wants to spend Saturday in the hotel spa.
So not only will I attend this wine run but, I have a spare seat in the car.
Unless Gary takes me up on the offer, it is available.
Preferably a nubile female but, at my age I'll settle for anything.

Your seat is available Franc....I'll be out on a different run but thank you for the offer
I have added you to the list in
Post #4

Old 09-26-2016, 07:23 PM

Lars:
I am asking those who may not have a passenger for the winery run if their spare seat is available for anyone who wants to join the run. Please post in this thread if you have a spare seat available in your Crossfire for the event run. We can offer these up at the group meeting on Friday night.

Also, we are having an issue finding a restaurant in Hayesville NC that can accommodate our group for lunch. The first winery stop, Eagle Fork Vineyards, has advised us that they have a spacious pavilion with chairs and tables overlooking the lake and winery that we can use for eating a sack lunch if we so desire. They have also offered to accommodate our group at our anticipated 11:30 am arrival time which is 30 minutes before their regular opening time of 12 noon. I am going to ask that the participants consider stopping at a fast food restaurant of their choice in Hayesville on the way through, grab a Subway, a burger, or other to go meal and everyone dine at the winery. We can discuss more at the group meeting. Our schedule will be tight to get in all four wineries if we spend too long on lunch.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:54 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Apparently mine is open.

SRT Coupe. Passenger seatbelt functions normally.

The Ashtray does not function so no smokers or Crumpy will be p!ssed.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 09-26-2016 at 10:56 PM.