All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Does your Crossfire Roadster smell funny?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Does your Crossfire Roadster smell funny?

I think it's a combination of interior materials and mustiness from long term storage. Recall that, due to dismal sales, these cars sat in outdoor storage lots in Germany, Belgium & the US for up to 2 years. Both of my roadsters had the melted crayon odor.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The roadster has waterproofing on the canvass that gives an odor. If it smells musty, I would check for leaks in the trunk. The low point has some electronics( air pump) too that can be ruined. You can get water there even in a dry climate.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Yup. I've owned three 2004's and they ALL had (and have) a funky, dead rat smell that INTERMITTENTLY comes when either the heater or the A/C are turned on. NOT consistent in any of the three. Smells just like a dead rat. Happens in no particular season. Nothing will get rid of this smell that I have found. It stinks to high heaven one time when the air (either heat or a/c blows) and then 10 minutes later ... the air will blow regular smelling air.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM

I would look for the evaporator drain line or lines and make sure they or it is not kinked. Sounds like what is happening is bacteria is growing in the bottom of the drain box. Flush it out, becareful to not overflow or you will get inside of car wet. you can use some small amount of clorox water or anti bacterial soap water to flush. Just remember that clorox and soap are corrosive, so don't over flow on carpet,etc. Drain line may be the problem( plugged or restricted).

Old 12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried removing the "Fix-a-flat" stuff from the back.......someone suggested theirs had leaked & caused a smell.........my wasn't leaking & after 2 weeks the smell was still there ....just for the first few seconds the car is started.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM

Drop the cabin air filter and see if there is anything stuck in there. Old leaves, dead bugs, etc don't smell very good. I bought a used roadster and there was all kinds of stuff in there. I don't think it had ever been changed.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Forum Regular

Gave my neice a ride today. As soon as she got in, she said it smelled like crayons.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

The only smell I get in my car is a moldy smell during winter, when I suppose more moisture is coming inside the cabin. If it gets bad, I put in one of those Dry-Eaze to suck up the additional water, when I park it. Oh, also, I have a few passengers who fart, but we won't talk about that...

Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Okay ....That made me laugh out loud and spew my coffee on my pc screen. Just DID NOT see that coming!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that the morning after i have had beer and pickled eggs my car smells bad inside when driving??? Lorne

Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 PM

If anyone has ever owned a VW you are well aware of the "crayon" smell. It seems to be typical of German cars. Both of my VW's had it and my Xfire Roadster does too. There's nothing you can do about it except put and air freshener in it. It's just another quirk of owning a German car. I'll take the idiosyncrasies of the Germans for the great driving dynamics!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Mine is a 2005. It has a crayon type speel. Not bothersome just a distinctive oder. I just thought it was the German smell most cars of that origin have.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 AM

That smell comes from the water proofer and preservative they put on the canvas top material. always very strong in the summer heat if the top is up.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 PM

Both my roadsters have a flavor. I've always presumed it was from the yards and yards of plastic.
Regardless, it's not at all offensive.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM

same here the smell was a dirty cabin air filter

Old 05-09-2015, 05:11 PM

hi just brought a crossfire and have the same problem of a bad smell inside the car soon as you start it up and put the blowers on not the a/c on investigation I have found the wiper scuttle drains blocked on both sides .
the water and black sludge that came out smelt really bad now nice and clean and the smell has gone I hope this helps other owners

Old 05-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Chris, Thats a VERY helpful first post. I would also suggest replacing the cabin filter as you don't know when or if it has ever been changed. WELCOME to the forum!

Last edited by RED DOG; 05-09-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smells Like Crayons?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:28 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dtinker
The roadster has waterproofing on the canvass that gives an odor. If it smells musty, I would check for leaks in the trunk. The low point has some electronics( air pump) too that can be ruined. You can get water there even in a dry climate.
Have always had slight peculiar smell, even after new factory cabin filter some time ago, WAY overpriced! Speaking of water; NHTSA told us initially: initial "small" separation of rear window from roof was not an "unreasonable risk to safety" because the "owner has ample time" to have it fixed. What the Hell is that supposed to mean??? We hope that their current "review" leads to a serious investigation concerning all of the detached window (with electric defroster) defects that have plagued all of us.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:08 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If your oil returns have a slight leak the full synthetic oil can weep onto exhaust and gives a interesting odor.
If one of your convertible top hydraulic lines leak around the tiny o-rings it can give you a Pentosin fluid smell.
I had my 2005's top replaced under warranty and it smells like a new car inside. So I am just guessing about a top smell.
No idea about a melted crayon smell unless you haven't burnt off the exhaust sealant excess, the sealants used in construction, or some other materials in or around the exhaust system. Been a long time since I burnt a crayon
If its a burning smell I would think any of the above are closer than rotten cabin air filter, ac, or similar scents.

Oh I too have a slight whiff of antifreeze at start up. Of course its had that since I've owned it for over 5 years without a heater core failure or leak.
When it goes I'll replace and see if it cures that start up odor.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Does your Crossfire Roadster smell funny?