Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster Third Brake Light...Need Forum Expertise!

Old 02-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roadster Third Brake Light...Need Forum Expertise!

Hi Everyone,

I just had my car inspected with 6K miles on it. It failed due to the Third Brake light not working. Has anyone had to replace the LED third brake light that is located below the spoiler on the roadster? If so, how difficult is it to install? Does the whole spoiler motor have to come out? Does anyone have any pics? Are there any pics of a roadster with the brake lights lite? Only some of the LED's in the assembly are lite and the lights that are lite are not very bright. I assume they should all be lit. Can you normally see the LED brake light during the day? Never noticed...so I do not know how long it's been out. Also...if it's not working...shouldn't the dash brake light be lite?

Also, this is the first time i've noticed that none of the brake lights go on during the day if the car is not running. In all other cars i've had...if your in the car and step on the brake...the brake lights lite-up...whether or not the engine is running. Comments please!

Also...the dealer said that bulbs are not covered under the warranty. That's got to be bull...since it's an LED assembly. Anyone know if this is true?

I am not looking forward to the dealer ripping apart my car! The service mechanic has never replaced one before...so I'd like to understand the problem before he replaces it, so I can help guide him. The parts on order. Please reply ASAP. Thanks.

If anyone has a Roadster manual...could you look it up and comment.

Thanks...Ben

Old 02-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster Third Brake Light...Need Forum Expertise!

Mine was replaced under warranty within my first month of owning it...

Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sharonaln67 is correct. The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp or CHMSL assembly is not a lamp according to the service manual and should be covered by your warranty. These 'lamp assemblies' are designed NOT to fail, thats one of the reasons they've started using them on vehicles. One LED goes out or a group... no problem the 'lamp' still functions at least part way. Chances of this happening to all your brake lamps if all of them are LED assemblies is slim... VERY slim.

CENTER HIGH MOUNTED STOP LAMP
DESCRIPTION
The center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) uses LED’s for illumination, they cannot be adjusted or repaired. If
faulty or damaged, the entire CHMSL assembly must be replaced. For complete CHMSL removal procedures, see
center high mounted stop lamp removal in this section. For complete CHMSL system wiring information and diagnosis,
see exterior lamps/lighting electrical diagnostics also in this section.
REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the liftgate interior trim panel. Refer to Page
23-48.
3. Remove the retaining screws (2) from the liftgate.
4. Disconnect the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL)
harness connector (3).
5. Slide the CHMSL assembly (1) outward and remove from
the liftgate.
I think the service manual we have linked in the forums is a 2004 Crossfire Coupe service manual and does not include the roadster information.

If you need service manual information for that you can go to Chrysler's service website and for about $20 for 24-hour access download or print all the pages you want.

Here is a link to all the Chrysler service site. Just pick 'Tech Authority On-Line' from the menu on the left. You can sign up from there.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Roadster Third Brake Light...Need Forum Expertise!

Originally Posted by BRappaport

Also, this is the first time i've noticed that none of the brake lights go on during the day if the car is not running. In all other cars i've had...if your in the car and step on the brake...the brake lights lite-up...whether or not the engine is running. Comments please!
If anyone has a Roadster manual...could you look it up and comment.

Thanks...Ben
I also have a manual. It seems as though none of the electric devices on the car with the exception of the headlamps and dome light will work when the vehicle is not "turned on." The cigar lighter will not even function unless you turn the key.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I just had my car inspected with 6K miles on it. It failed due to the Third Brake light not working.
I think your issues are more than just bulbs or LEDs. You should make you dealer fix the problem. If the car has only 6K miles, I would make a stink at the dealer and ask to talk to the factory rep. Don't let them off the hook so easy.

The following users liked this post:
jefecito (10-12-2022)
Old 02-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Forum Regular

I have a Roadster but its the srt version...they (dealer) had to take the whole spoiler off to get at the light.
It was covered by warranty!

K.K.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:04 PM

I had to replace mine with in two months and it was covered under warrenty like everyone else. It seems like the third brake light seems to be an issue for most people.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Sharonaln67 is correct. The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp or CHMSL assembly is not a lamp according to the service manual and should be covered by your warranty. These 'lamp assemblies' are designed NOT to fail, thats one of the reasons they've started using them on vehicles. One LED goes out or a group... no problem the 'lamp' still functions at least part way. Chances of this happening to all your brake lamps if all of them are LED assemblies is slim... VERY slim.

I think the service manual we have linked in the forums is a 2004 Crossfire Coupe service manual and does not include the roadster information.

If you need service manual information for that you can go to Chrysler's service website and for about $20 for 24-hour access download or print all the pages you want.

Here is a link to all the Chrysler service site. Just pick 'Tech Authority On-Line' from the menu on the left. You can sign up from there.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info...and I was hoping someone had a roadster manual that I could look at some pics. Maybe someone can post info if they have it. Also, thanks for the website link...I did not know they offered that service!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by FP
I think your issues are more than just bulbs or LEDs. You should make you dealer fix the problem. If the car has only 6K miles, I would make a stink at the dealer and ask to talk to the factory rep. Don't let them off the hook so easy.
I agree...and will have my car there tomorrow. I will hold them accountable...The fight is about to start. I am glad to see that others have gotten this replaced under warranty.

The new twist today...they called me and said that it is not covered under the 3/36 warranty....but under a 1 yr warranty only....and then had the nerve to tell me I am not covered because I am 2 weeks over one year! Chrysler customer service at its best!!

I can not wait to have a nice discussion with the service manager...That MORON!! I'll just tell him....OH...sorry my check bounced...I did not realized my account closed to days ago...HaHa

I'll be nice...but firm!

No wonder Chrysler is in trouble...They can not spell Cutsoemr Srevcie!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gwetoe
I also have a manual. It seems as though none of the electric devices on the car with the exception of the headlamps and dome light will work when the vehicle is not "turned on." The cigar lighter will not even function unless you turn the key.
That's correct...and the Horn does not work either with the engine off!

These are safety problems in my opinion. Example...you are sitting in your car at the mall with engine off...and someone doesn't see you when backing up...you blow your horn to stop them...Oh SH*T...no Horn!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's correct...and the Horn does not work either with the engine off!

These are safety problems in my opinion. Example...you are sitting in your car at the mall with engine off...and someone doesn't see you when backing up...you blow your horn to stop them...Oh SH*T...no Horn!
It's a European thing. Most European cars work like this. And, the Crossfire is basically a MB.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:00 PM
bsb

Somewhere on this forum it is written that the 3rd brake light on the roadster is held on by five screws. I just removed mine and there are SIX screws. There is a screw on the right-center side (looking rear forward) that is hidden behind a piece of support metal. After you remove all the screws you will have to carefully pry the third light up as there are some plastic pieces and the plug remaining. These must come straight out.

Last edited by bsb; 06-16-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: type
The following users liked this post:
jefecito (10-12-2022)
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

7 year old thread. Haven't seen this in awhile...good to know though.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 PM

I need to figure out how to remove the center brake light from my convertible. I've taken off every screw I could find and it won't budge. Anybody got any diagrams or anything? email me at this name at yahoo. thanks Jeremy.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cartoonguy2002
I need to figure out how to remove the center brake light from my convertible. I've taken off every screw I could find and it won't budge. Anybody got any diagrams or anything? email me at this name at yahoo. thanks Jeremy.
Post #21:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post878123

Old 11-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cartoonguy2002
Here's how I removed mine...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post845411

Old 10-15-2023, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So was mine.

In 2017 I had to replace it again. A parts dept in Florida searched on computer. The only one left in USA was in San Jose, California. Fortunately I had friends in California. The dealer would not ship. List price was $445. I complained. Parts guy gave me 10% off. Still over $400 + tax.

Same dealership that did all my warranty work when I lived in San Jose. They probably ordered two back in 2006 when they first replaced mine.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:23 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by sjcrossfire
So was mine.

In 2017 I had to replace it again. A parts dept in Florida searched on computer. The only one left in USA was in San Jose, California. Fortunately I had friends in California. The dealer would not ship. List price was $445. I complained. Parts guy gave me 10% off. Still over $400 + tax.

Same dealership that did all my warranty work when I lived in San Jose. They probably ordered two back in 2006 when they first replaced mine.
There is a company that can repair our third brake lights
Many here have used them including myself - LEDFIX.COM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/946796-post49.html