CrossfireForum.org

- CLICK HERE TO GET RID OF THESE ADS -
Go Back   CrossfireForum.org > Cars > Crossfire Roadster

Welcome to Crossfire Forum!
Welcome to Crossfire Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please
join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 05:32 PM

Default changing brake light bulb

Somewhere there are engineers laughing...just spent an hour tearing apart my trunk to change a light bulb. Having an access panel to reach the bulbs shouldn't be too much to ask for. Still love the car.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Forum Regular

Default Re: changing brake light bulb

I agree, I know these engineers sit around and laugh about how difficult they design their cars for simple maintenance. One of these days I'll meet up with one & kick his ***.

Jeff
'06 Limited Roadster
Alabaster White
5 spd Auto
Mesh upper / lower grill
Adamesh Windblock

Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 PM

Would you mind sharing what you had to do to access the bulbs? I'm sure there are more of us out here who will need the knowledge at some point. Any short-cuts or "don't do this" would be helpful.

2005 Roadster Limited #54577
Graphite Metallic - Dk/Md Slate Gray - 6 Speed
Crossfire Bra - Wind Deflector
K&N Air Filters - Disc Italia Titanium Kevlar Brake Pads
2005 Coupe SRT6 #43425
Graphite Metallic
Crossfire Bra
K&N Air Filters - Disc Italia Titanium Kevlar Brake Pads
Old 05-22-2007, 11:05 AM

No shortcuts that I know of. Must remove about 10-12 plastic pop rivets that hold the lining of the trunk. Then remove the lining to access the tail light assembly. A mirror made the process of determining the location of the stop lamp assembly easier. After removing the assembly and changing the bulb (while standing on your head), you get to put it all back together again. I'm now waiting for the turn signal bulb to go out in the next couple of days so I can do it all again.

2005 Blaze Red Limited Roadster 44386
Old 05-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Senior Member/Admin Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch1221
No shortcuts that I know of. Must remove about 10-12 plastic pop rivets that hold the lining of the trunk. Then remove the lining to access the tail light assembly. A mirror made the process of determining the location of the stop lamp assembly easier. After removing the assembly and changing the bulb (while standing on your head), you get to put it all back together again. I'm now waiting for the turn signal bulb to go out in the next couple of days so I can do it all again.
It's much easier on the coupe. I think it has a small door by the tail light where you can access the bulbs. On the Roadster, you do have to remove, well I only removed 5 of the fasteners and pulled the lining to access the lights. You should not have to remove the whole assembly, just reach in and twist of the light socket, and replace the bulb.

"Coupe with a Stick"
6 Speed Stick,NW Single CAI/74mm TB/HID 6000kLights/Sound System Upgrade/MB Engine Cover/ITC Leather Gear Knob
/Eyebrows/Mandrus Milleniums 19/20/Eurocharge Tune/Clear Side Markers/NW Catch Can/Startech Pedal Set/SRT6 Springs and Front Sway/TVT Camber Arms

Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 AM

The owners manual for the '05 Roadster says to open access panel, but in real life there is not one. Guess it was a change from '04. I removed all the rivets to ensure that I was not going to cause an unnatural crease in the cardboard lining by bending it to access the light bulb.

2005 Blaze Red Limited Roadster 44386
Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
It's much easier on the coupe. I think it has a small door by the tail light where you can access the bulbs.
Yes it does, and that makes it much, much easier!

'05 Graphite Metallic SRT6 Coupe
Short Forum Signatures

Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch1221
The owners manual for the '05 Roadster says to open access panel, but in real life there is not one. Guess it was a change from '04. I removed all the rivets to ensure that I was not going to cause an unnatural crease in the cardboard lining by bending it to access the light bulb.
There was no Roadster in '04'. They probably just used the coupe's manual and didn't do a good job editing it.

"Coupe with a Stick"
6 Speed Stick,NW Single CAI/74mm TB/HID 6000kLights/Sound System Upgrade/MB Engine Cover/ITC Leather Gear Knob
/Eyebrows/Mandrus Milleniums 19/20/Eurocharge Tune/Clear Side Markers/NW Catch Can/Startech Pedal Set/SRT6 Springs and Front Sway/TVT Camber Arms

Old 05-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to bigpapapuff
Angry Re: changing brake light bulb

Those little doors on the coupe aren't so easy to get off. It's easier to push the door in towards the light fixture and then work it out through the opening than it is to follow the what the owners manual saysshich is lift up and pull out. YEA RIGHT!! I ended up cutting about a 1/4 inch off the tabs of the doors so they will be easier to get off the next time. What a pain in the tush!! I think the Roadster has the advantage on this one, even though you have to take out the plastic rivets.

BigPapaPuff

Ok Scotty, go ahead and laugh. NOW BEAM DOWN MY CLOTHES!!!

2004 Crossfire Coupe
Black, 6 Speed, #13951

2006 300 C AWD
2006 Dodge 3500 CTD 4X4
2000 Harley Davidson Heritage. 95 Cucic Inch, Nitrous, Branch Heads.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapapuff
Those little doors on the coupe aren't so easy to get off. It's easier to push the door in towards the light fixture and then work it out through the opening than it is to follow the what the owners manual saysshich is lift up and pull out. YEA RIGHT!! I ended up cutting about a 1/4 inch off the tabs of the doors so they will be easier to get off the next time.
I think BIGPAPA has BIG HANDS, but you know what they say.

"Coupe with a Stick"

Old 05-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Forum Regular

Talking Re: changing brake light bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
I think BIGPAPA has BIG HANDS, but you know what they say.
Not even... LOL I'm 4'11 in heels! LOL.

BigPapaPuff

2004 Crossfire Coupe
Black, 6 Speed, #13951

2006 300 C AWD
2006 Dodge 3500 CTD 4X4
Old 05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapapuff
Not even... LOL I'm 4'11 in heels! LOL.
A cross dresser???

Jeff
'06 Limited Roadster
Alabaster White
5 spd Auto
Mesh upper / lower grill
Adamesh Windblock

Old 05-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular

Talking Re: changing brake light bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtop57
A cross dresser???
If I don't wear heels, then I'm only 4'9! Gosh give me a break!! LOL!

BigPapaPuff

2004 Crossfire Coupe
Black, 6 Speed, #13951

2006 300 C AWD
2006 Dodge 3500 CTD 4X4
Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM

Hey fun seekers......had to replace the back tail light on my alabaster white 05 roadster...logged on to the always useful forum, and found a posting somewhere that suggested you lower the top just to the position where the tonneau cover is vertical and the rest of the top is hovering above the seating area, then look inside and you can see and change the bulb without alll the agony of removing plugs and contorting yourself out of shape to get at it from the trunk........well I at first thought it silly, but I tried it and, guess what, it worked.....so want to thank that Crossfire guy or gal for the suggestion...........oh and someone added that you must complete your replacement within 20 minutes or the top hydraulics start to give out.....that happened to me but didn't create a problem, as soon as it started I put the top up and then lowered it to the above verbalized position, and finished the job.............way easy good luck to all you wonderbar Crossfire people Ron
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmiata

Lamp Failure Indicator

'
'04 ALABASTER WHITE COUPE #011540
'05 AERO BLUE \ VANILLA ROADSTER #054042
'06 AERO BLUE \ VANILLA ROADSTER #061260

$5 Front Lip - $4 Radar Detector Mirror Mount
Video RCM - CPS Replacement

Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Yorston View Post
Hey fun seekers......had to replace the back tail light on my alabaster white 05 roadster...logged on to the always useful forum, and found a posting somewhere that suggested you lower the top just to the position where the tonneau cover is vertical and the rest of the top is hovering above the seating area, then look inside and you can see and change the bulb without alll the agony of removing plugs and contorting yourself out of shape to get at it from the trunk........well I at first thought it silly, but I tried it and, guess what, it worked.....so want to thank that Crossfire guy or gal for the suggestion...........oh and someone added that you must complete your replacement within 20 minutes or the top hydraulics start to give out.....that happened to me but didn't create a problem, as soon as it started I put the top up and then lowered it to the above verbalized position, and finished the job.............way easy good luck to all you wonderbar Crossfire people Ron
Wow! This is just the information I was looking for! Thanks Ron and anonymous forum contributor that makes a chiropractor's dream into an easy fix. Crossfire Forum again proves invaluable.

2004 Black Coupe SOLD
2005 Graphite Coupe (totaled, 2011)
2005 Alabaster Roadster
2010 FALL DRAGON
2011 SPRING DRAGON
2011 FALL DRAGON
2012 SPRING DRAGON
2012 FALL DRAGON
2013 SPRING DRAGON
2013 FALL DRAGON
2014 FALL DRAGON

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Yorston View Post
I had fought with the taillight as well when one day I was detailing the car,so I did the partial top drop,When I noticed hey,I can get to that damn bulb from here! I kicked myself all day for taking so long to realize it could have been so easy all along,I love this little car,but I think I hate it more!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Why would they give you an access panel when you can get in thru the 'top opening'? I can't believe you people never noticed the opening - how many of us have peered in there to see the level of the fluid?

You have about ten minutes before the hydraulic pressure is released (they do this because leaving the pressure on contributes to leaks, the system was not designed for continuous pressure).

But here is MY COMPLAINT: How do you get the bulb assembly back in? The wires are just to short to easily manipulate the lamp assembly.

Founding member and Grand Pooh-Bah of the Crossfire High Mileage Club - 107,560 and counting!
Issues so far: EGR Valve Replaced, Ignition Cylinder Repaired, Twice Resoldered RCM

"Built on the Mercedes R170/SLK320 platform... the Crossfire has taken on, sort of, a cult following."
Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post

You have about ten minutes before the hydraulic pressure is released (they do this because leaving the pressure on contributes to leaks, the system was not designed for continuous pressure).
I would not say that, all hydraulic system suffer from leak back, possibly through the pump and definitely through the seal. It is necessary as it lubricates the seal. The fluid pressure makes the seal a tighter fit in the bore and a lack of pressure can allow more leakage.
It depends on the seal design how much it leaks in a given situation, split rings types probably leak most , lip seals probably the least. The surface finish of the bore will be a major factor in the leakage and it will be finished to achieve the best conditions for the seal in use.
The design is quite involved in many applications, hydraulics, pneumatics, vacuum and combinations.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM

But why would you leave pressure on the system all the time?

Founding member and Grand Pooh-Bah of the Crossfire High Mileage Club - 107,560 and counting!
Issues so far: EGR Valve Replaced, Ignition Cylinder Repaired, Twice Resoldered RCM

"Built on the Mercedes R170/SLK320 platform... the Crossfire has taken on, sort of, a cult following."

Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Advertisement