Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Crossfire Trailer Hitch?

Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Trailer Hitch?

Originally Posted by BLACKSRT-6
The trailer works great. No problem with the load. I limit my total to under 500lbs; 4 tires, jack, tools, chair and trailer.
Heres a photo.
You can pickup a trailer hitch from your local M/B dealer - some mods might be required....

Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 PM

I am only using it to put a luggage carrier to hold golf clubs so 1 1/4 receiver would be perfect, I would not exceed 100 pounds.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

BLACK-SRT6 has a hitch on his 6 that he built to tow his autocross trailer with his racing wheels/tires and such.
see "Trailer Hitch Installed"

Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
BLACK-SRT6 has a hitch on his 6 that he built to tow his autocross trailer with his racing wheels/tires and such.
see "Trailer Hitch Installed"
correction : that's BLACKSRT-6

Old 06-22-2014, 03:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been wanting a hitch every since my trip to Yellowstone Natl Park July 2013. I had just enough room to put my camping gear in the trunk and had alot of the passenger footwell filled along with my wife haha. I thought it would be nice to have one of them little cargo trailers so i didnt have to cram everything into the car. I searched all over this site and found about 10 threads. I was very close to buying two Mercedes SLK hitches from Curt and having my welding friend mod it like the one on BLACKSRT-6's cars, but i was thinking it would be stronger if it was all one solid build. After talking to Curt technical support for about an hour the tech suggested that the closest thing would be a Curt hitch for a Cadillac CTS Wagon. It required minimal modifications and was just about the right width across to clear the exhaust ports and have a good solid anchor location on the trunk pan. It turned out awesome and i now have 22.8 cu ft of cargo space (6.2 cu ft trunk and 16.6 cu ft cargo trailer) or 2.6 cu ft less if i want to ride top down in style. Lots of people ask why? I love driving this car EVERYWHERE. its my daily driver and it never stops getting peoples attention. Not many cars can get a "dude, awesome car" on a daily basis around town like i noticed my Crossfire does haha.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0745 (Small).JPG (146.1 KB, 156 views)
DSC_0753 (Small).JPG (181.0 KB, 143 views)
DSC_0758 (Small).JPG (189.0 KB, 133 views)
DSC_0762 (Small).JPG (130.4 KB, 154 views)
DSC_0764 (Small).JPG (158.9 KB, 136 views)
DSC_0749 (Small).JPG (182.2 KB, 123 views)
The following users liked this post:
Robaire2000 (01-28-2022)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Edit: Sorry I originally just skimmed your post . . . I see you already have gotten your trailer hitch. ENJOY your Crossfire . . .

Contact this member . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post800564

OR you could just buy his Crossfire with the hitch already installed!

Old 06-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Forum Regular

I like what you've done. It looks nice. My one thought about it relates to exhaust replacement. Is there room to work on the exhaust without removing the hitch?

Wish you many miles of towing enjoyment. This may be the route I take when retirement allows me some travel time.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by markr6754
I like what you've done. It looks nice. My one thought about it relates to exhaust replacement. Is there room to work on the exhaust without removing the hitch?

Wish you many miles of towing enjoyment. This may be the route I take when retirement allows me some travel time.
Hitch is bolt on so if you need to mess with exhaust you can easily remove the 4 bolts attaching the hitch to the car. Loaded trailer with about 200 lbs and took it for 200 mile test drive. Worked fantastic, couldnt even notice it. Made no noises at all and was cruising at 75 mph. I can finally load up car for trip and ride with top down (I prefer camping over paying $100 a night for hotels.) I am confident this thing could easily pull a lightweight aluminum boat as well. No noticeable difference in acceleration but i still ease off easier knowing the trailer is on there.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 AM
cjw
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch your tow weights, I'm on a phone and can't tell what you bolted on to on the car but our hitch is bolted into the trunk pan, works great for our trailer, tires, and tolls but too much weight and you might damage the rear. And the thing to remember is not towing anything, but stopping it, I wouldn't tow a small boat that's just me but if it worked the brakes can be cooked fast and brake fade on the street with a trailer would suck

Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by cjw
Watch your tow weights,...
I dont even have a boat just pulling the 600lb max capacity harbor freight trailer i got for $270 and seems tohandle it well.might use it with bike rack which uses hitch mount occasionally too.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular

I'm at work and don't have access to my manual. I seem to remember that our vehicles have a capacity of 400 pounds including passengers. I'm assuming that is a suspension limitation and that a well balanced trailer load doesn't cause issues. Am I correct.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by stlouistrucker
I'm at work and don't have access to my manual. I seem to remember that our vehicles have a capacity of 400 pounds including passengers. I'm assuming that is a suspension limitation and that a well balanced trailer load doesn't cause issues. Am I correct.
Sounds right. My tongue weight doesnt feel anymore than 30 lbs but havent put it on scales at full load yet.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jeffsrawr
After talking to Curt technical support for about an hour the tech suggested that the closest thing would be a Curt hitch for a Cadillac CTS Wagon.
After driving my Crossfire for 11 years (!) and being limited by its hauling capacity, I'm ready to add a trailer hitch.

Can you describe the modifications you had to make to the Curt hitch? And did you have to remove the rear bumper?

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 PM

the hitch had flanges on both sides. the flanges were cut off and the mounts at the top of the flanges were welded back onto the main hitch body facing inwards instead of the original outwards connection. then take out the foam inside the trunk at the bottom and put 4 steel square pieces for support brackets and bolt it into the trunk pan. that's all. i was at first concerned about the trunk pan but then i found out that Mercedes hitches use the trunk pan, and it has held up great so rest assured. i dont really notice it unless im going up hill in which to get some additional power i have to step it down to 3rd gear instead of the usual 4th gear when im not pulling. brakes great too, had a couple deer in the rode on my trip last night had plenty of braking ability to go from 65mph to a stop in time since the deer just looked at the car haha. got lots of compliments on the car during my portland, ore. trip and 2 guys with crossfires asked me how they could get a hitch.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 PM

the hitch had flanges on both sides. the flanges were cut off and the mounts at the top of the flanges were welded back ...
Thanks. It's not clear to me what happens to the plastic cladding beneath the car. Do you remove it to cut sections out for the flanges to go through or just drill holes for the bolts?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:53 AM

oh yes i forgot to mention. the diffusers i just took off and put in a box in my garage. i didnt want to bother cutting them since they are probably worth a bit if bought through the dealership. i know when the window molding at the top of my windshield flew off on the freeway it was going to cost me about $540 but i found it on ebay for $225.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Can understand the desire, when I was autocrossing the Sunbird seriously I had a little popup camping trailer, whole thing was about 500 lbs, that I pulled with the race car and carried the tires and "stuff". Back then even subcompacts could have a hitch.

OTOH where do you put one ? The pipes come out the middle and there is a rear belly pan. Might be able to bring one out the rear fascia but would want to make flush when not towing and then where do you put the wiring and how do you reach the pin ?

Am sure it could be worked but would not be cheap. At least the granny gear would be useful then.

Anyone have a picture with the rear facia removed ?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

maybe you could post some detail pictures, I know a lot of members would like to put a hitch on the XFire thanks jim

Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM

post #125 look up for pictures, 1st picture is without fascia.... hitch was $150 at autoanything.com and the welder modified it and installed it for $150 so it cost me $300 for the setup. trailer was $276 after 25% off coupon at harbor freight. if you buy from HB always repack bearings first thing haha, their goop is just crap in there!

Old 05-05-2018, 10:29 AM

I have been wanting a hitch every since my trip to Yellowstone Natl Park July 2013. I had just enough room to put my camping gear in the trunk and had alot of the passenger footwell filled along with my wife haha. I thought it would be nice to have one of them little cargo trailers so i didnt have to cram everything into the car. I searched all over this site and found about 10 threads. I was very close to buying two Mercedes SLK hitches from Curt and having my welding friend mod it like the one on BLACKSRT-6's cars, but i was thinking it would be stronger if it was all one solid build. After talking to Curt technical support for about an hour the tech suggested that the closest thing would be a Curt hitch for a Cadillac CTS Wagon. It required minimal modifications and was just about the right width across to clear the exhaust ports and have a good solid anchor location on the trunk pan. It turned out awesome and i now have 22.8 cu ft of cargo space (6.2 cu ft trunk and 16.6 cu ft cargo trailer) or 2.6 cu ft less if i want to ride top down in style. Lots of people ask why? I love driving this car EVERYWHERE. its my daily driver and it never stops getting peoples attention. Not many cars can get a "dude, awesome car" on a daily basis around town like i noticed my Crossfire does haha.
Hello, what year Cadillac please, Curt hitch for a Cadillac CTS Wagon. 🤠

Quick Reply: Crossfire Trailer Hitch?