Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

OK...another southerner with a droopy back glass

Old 08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK...another southerner with a droopy back glass

The facking thing pretty much completely fell out this afternoon..yep, I'm from the glorious southland (the gret stet of looziana) where the weather is hot and wet. So, after my hissy fit subsided, I started calling upholstery shops..the TOP SHOP doesn't work on convertible tops..believe it or not..but I finally found a shop about 50 miles from here.

Does anyone remember the post about how BMW windows are sewn in a pocket (or is that my imagination)? I did a site search and can't seem to find it, but my search skills are rivaled only by my skill in choosing roadsters with dependable tops.

A little help would be appreciated..thanks.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: OK..another southerner with a droopy back glass

Originally Posted by cajuncrossfire
The facking thing pretty much completely fell out this afternoon..yep, I'm from the glorious southland (the gret stet of looziana) where the weather is hot and wet. So, after my hissy fit subsided, I started calling upholstery shops..the TOP SHOP doesn't work on convertible tops..believe it or not..but I finally found a shop about 50 miles from here.

Does anyone remember the post about how BMW windows are sewn in a pocket (or is that my imagination)? I did a site search and can't seem to find it, but my search skills are rivaled only by my skill in choosing roadsters with dependable tops.

Dude, I just had to laugh on the use of the word Facking! LOL! this was a word that we used when we were kids to avoid a slap in the mouth when we were pretty t'd. LOL!

On the window front, this was an oversight in the design in my opinion but I think that this is a key question for your installer to see if they can do a sewn in version.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cajuncrossfire

Look at other threads under "roadster". You'll find a 'sticky' and a couple other threads about the top problem. I know the 'search function' ain't all that great, but work on your search skills so as to avoid opening new threads. You'll be surprised at the volumes and volumes of info regarding the Crossfire. Do the 'search', try a couple different search phrases. Check the appropriate forum related to your issue - check the forum category specific to the coupe/roadster and the category related to particular problem (wheels/stereo/suspension/etc.). Scrounge around, narrow it down, and you'll find the poop you need.

Good luck.

Last edited by dwightdmagee; 08-17-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Check out www.eastwood.com I listed their Covertible Rear Window Repair Kit earlier. They also sell the adhesive seperate from the kit. It is listed as Maximum Universal Bonding Adhesive. Better yet call their product development engineer Joe Richardson at 1-610-705 5462. His extension is 5462. Good luck I know how frustrating this is after spending as much money as we have for the vehicle. Ken

Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread should help
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-pictures.html

Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OK...another southerner with a droopy back glass

Hard and stiff this side of the border, no problems(yet) but top is down all the time,when the top is up the thumping sound and vibration on the rear window makes me (UNHAPPY) concerned,so that is why I have driven Thur snow squalls at -3 c/26 f, it's so refreshing

Last edited by Sandgrounder; 08-17-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

On the other hand, a droopy glass is less scary to fix than BIG problems.

Oh well, I hope to be ok, my car sits in a garage (with the A/C on no less!) most of the time. It sees little heat OR sunshine.

In any event, I THINK fixing this problem myself is more likely than many of the other problems I see on here!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

Those of you that have had problems, please list the following so we can see if there is a comon thread to this issue.
(1) What is your build date?
(2) Where are you located?
(3) Is your baby stored outside or garaged?
Perhaps there was a bad run (recall)? Perhaps it is a combination of heat and humidity?
Thanks for the input!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

I'd like to see your questions answered, ZERACER... but I have observed that most, maybe ALL of these windows are in cars in FL, AZ and MAYBE GA.

What does THAT tell ya?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not just a crossfire problem. A couple of older Mercedes convertibles have glued in glass rear windows that have separated over time. Remember the original VW rabbit convertible, they started becoming unglued as they got older. One common theme, all german made. It's a shame Karmann chose the same process and did not sew these things in properly. I live in the deep south and am watching my rear glass closely, luckily, no problem yet.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Maybe instead of trying to glue the glass to the top, someone should try glueiing on a pocket to support it. Perhaps glue ing on a support pocket, as a precaution, before it comes loose might even help avoid it happening in the first place.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Cajuncrossfire,

I live in Kenner, Louisiana. I have an SRT6 Roadster which had the rear window fall out. Tried gluing it back in warranty. Didn't work. Convertible tops on back order for who knows how long. No ones making them. Luckily I found an interior shop that had one custom made in California. They had to send my top because no one makes the top hardware either. To make matters worse no warranty help. I'm out $1,900.

But at least I can drive my car. Looks real nice navy blue on SSB.

The name and address of the shop is:
Calamari Trim Shop
339 N Broad St
New Orleans, LA 70119-5509
(504) 827-1338

Talk to Joe. Let me know if this helps.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 AM

What is your build date?

Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by larbo53
Cajuncrossfire,

I live in Kenner, Louisiana. I have an SRT6 Roadster which had the rear window fall out. Tried gluing it back in warranty. Didn't work. Convertible tops on back order for who knows how long. No ones making them. Luckily I found an interior shop that had one custom made in California. They had to send my top because no one makes the top hardware either. To make matters worse no warranty help. I'm out $1,900.

But at least I can drive my car. Looks real nice navy blue on SSB.

The name and address of the shop is:
Calamari Trim Shop
339 N Broad St
New Orleans, LA 70119-5509
(504) 827-1338

Talk to Joe. Let me know if this helps.
I want to see pictures of it...does it look like the Blueberry Candy Canes they have at Christmas time

Also, I don't know if it's feasible or not, but you can call the shop I got mine done at and probably get it for what I got it for ($1275+ Tax). You'll obviously have to pay for shipping and maybe the installation but it might be cheaper than $1,900.
'
Larbo, can you post pics please so we can see the difference between your aftermarket top and mine

Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
Larbo, can you post pics please so we can see the difference between your aftermarket top and mine
I'm with Gator.
Pics?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cajuncrossfire, I was at Munich Motors in Mandeville yesterday. I asked the owner about repairs to ragtops, she suggested Aldens in Kenner, La. she said he does great work with convert. top repairs. His # is 504-469-0527

Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Default Thanks for the input guys..been out of puter range

cajunxfire..I'm gonna call the people you referenced as soon as I get to the office on Monday..I've also found a couple of businesses that sell replacement tops and will contact them after I speak with the people from Louisiana.

Will post the results as soon as I make a decision and get going on it.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 AM

Call Cindy at GAHH 800-722-2292. They have a top in original German material that has a LIFETIME warranty on the glass installtion. Also no stitching around the window. They can also arrange local install

Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Those of you that have had problems, please list the following so we can see if there is a comon thread to this issue.
(1) What is your build date?
(2) Where are you located?
(3) Is your baby stored outside or garaged?
Perhaps there was a bad run (recall)? Perhaps it is a combination of heat and humidity?
Thanks for the input!
1) 2005
2) Tampa, FL
3) Garaged
+ Always washed by hand
+ Windows never fully down when top up (only a crack sometimes)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 PM

Cisa and tighed1 both recommended 3M Window weld to fix the back window. Did this repair last week. It was tedious but worked. Would do this again before buying new top or letting someone else work on my baby.

Quick Reply: OK...another southerner with a droopy back glass