Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Crossfire Battery

Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crossfire Battery

i Finally Got The True Scoop On A Replacement Battery On My 06 X-fire. Yes, It Failed After 7,000 Miles, Bad Cell, Grrrr. I Had Heard All Kinds Of Horror Stories About Availability And Price On A New Battery, And Yes A Chrysler Dealer Wants $150!. The Group Size For The Original Car Was A 48 And Now You Also Can Use A Grp Size 91 As Well. I Went To Wal-mart And Can You Imagine There Sits A Grp Size 48-3 New Battery, (black), But Identicle In Size, With The Red Cover Over The Positive Post Etc, The Battery Even Has, I Believe, More Cranking Amps And The Price With My Old Battery Trade In Was A Total Of $66.40!!!!!!. I Bought It And Took It Home And It Fits Perfect, Keep Your Old Red Cover Tho As The Wal-mart Battery One Is A El Cheapo. Hey, Hit The Key And Zoom She Went And I Am Now Smiling Like A Chesire Cat. Hope My Experience Will Save Someone Else A Lot Of $$$$$$$$$

Old 01-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Battery

Good find. Here's where I found an 85 month battery: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=29511

Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Electrifying news, good to hear as my '04 battery dates from '03, and is not covered in my gold + extended warranty. I think batteries even when not used too much sit there and eat their insides away. One hint of weakness and I replace them, rather than get caught and wish I had done it sooner.

A previous thread on batteries contains comments about the colors, black and white, the color depends on what is available at the time. These are supplied by contractors and depending who had won a contract the colors could be different. The makers would not specify the color, just the specs and award the contract on the basis of price and availability. OEM batteries are normally not the longest lived ones, just past any warranty is good enough. As usual it is all about $$$, and why not, a penny saved is a penny earned.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-04-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Electrifying news, good to hear as my '04 battery dates from '03, and is not covered in my gold + extended warranty. I think batteries even when not used too much sit there and eat their insides away. One hint of weakness and I replace them, rather than get caught and wish I had done it sooner.
Note that ours gave no hint of weakness. It just failed without warning. Thank goodness the car was at home.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A battery maintainer, like Deltran, Schumacher, and others will help extend the battery life of a battery in a vehicle that gets infrequent usage. OTH, if you drive your car every day a maintainer will probably not help as your charging system will do a good job of keeping the battery up to snuff.

Remember, I said maintainer, NOT charger....big difference.

I use maintainers on my collector car and motorcycle. The everyday cars fare for themselves

Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 AM

yes, Mine Also Was At Home In The Garage, Would Be Very Embarrasing If You Were Showing The Car To A Bunch Of People Or Went Somewhere Where There Were A Lot Of People Interested In The Car & You Got In And Found It Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by buff5
yes, Mine Also Was At Home In The Garage, Would Be Very Embarrasing If You Were Showing The Car To A Bunch Of People Or Went Somewhere Where There Were A Lot Of People Interested In The Car & You Got In And Found It Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why Do You Capitalize All Your Words?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 AM

Mostly for visability & I can just lock the caps & go, this look better or that???, I personally like it the other way.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both of my crossfires were dead when the dealerships tried to start them for me on my road test.
That's what happens from months of no use on the lots. I think this is why a lot of our battery s fail early.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crossfirefun
Both of my crossfires were dead when the dealerships tried to start them for me on my road test.
That's what happens from months of no use on the lots. I think this is why a lot of our battery s fail early.
You may be on to something...

Old 01-04-2009, 04:21 PM

ah, What About The Good Old Days!. Been A Mechanic Since About The Middle 50's And Got My Car Dealers License In 65 And Went Full Time In 69 And Retired About 3 Years Ago. I Can Well Remember The Days When We Could Get From 5-7 Years Out Of A Battery. I Bought A 1963 Studebaker Avanti Some Years Back, Maybe Say 8 Years Or So And The Original Owners Son Had Just Put In A New Battery The Year Before!, As It Still Had The Original Battery!!. Car Was A One Owner, Only Driven In The Summer And Then Only In Dry Weather And Had 19,000 Original Miles, So The Car Was Stored Most Of The Time In A Dry, Heated Storage Space, So The Original Battery Was In There For About 35 Years!!!!!. Hey, That Is What He Told Me And He Had No Reason To Lie, As It Made No Difference To Me, But I Have Seen Many 5-7 Year Batterys Back Then. I Do Understand That These New Computer Powered Cars Are Much Harder On Batteries Due To Some Small Constant Drain To The Computer Memories Etc But Then Again!!!!!!!!. Oh, Again The Caps Are For Visability And Ease Of Typing, Not For Any Other Reason, My Choice.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Forum Regular

Hope My Experience Will Save Someone Else A Lot Of $$$$$$$$$
Wal-Mart product code? I can't seem to find it?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 AM

Easy enough, went into wal-Mart to the battery section, looked in the battery catalog under crossfire, there it says Grp 48. Then to batterys, Grp 48-3 mkd on the battery, thats it!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the way ya type...easier for us ta read....

Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 AM

Thanks, yes, as we get older & some of us have bi-focals, BOLD IS BETTER!!!!!. ALSO SAVES GOING BACK AND CORRECTING THE MISSING CAPS ON THE BEGINNING OF EACH SENTENCE. I AM NOT A "HUNT & PECK", TYPER BUT IN TYPING CLASS IN HIGH SCHOOL NEITHER WAS I A 80 WORD A MINUTE TYPER, MORE LIKE 35! LOL. SOMEONE ONCE SAID THAT USING THIS TYPE OF TYPEING DESIGNATES "SHOUTING", I DISAGREE, DIVERSITY IS THE KEY TO THE AMERICAN DREAM, WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT, THAT IS WHY WE DRIVE CROSSFIRES AND OTHER DRIVE SOLTICES OR SKYS, WE KNOW THE ADANTAGES BUT DONT TRY TO CONVINCE THOSE OWNERS, AS WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND NEITHER IS WRONG. TO EACH HIS OWN AS MY FATHER WOULD SAY. PEACE!!, NUFF SAID AND BACK TO WHAT THIS FORUM IS ALL ABOUT, CROSSFIRE'S

Old 01-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Easy enough, went into wal-Mart to the battery section, looked in the battery catalog under crossfire, there it says Grp 48. Then to batterys, Grp 48-3 mkd on the battery, thats it!
This is good for the eyes, Caps On All Words Not Good, It Confuses The Eyes, Mine Anyway.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This is good for the eyes, Caps On All Words Not Good, It Confuses The Eyes, Mine Anyway.

I agree. Mine

Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 AM

Interesting how our eye's & perceptions are different, some like it, some do not. Diversity is good, I wanted the yellow crossfire & ended up with the aero blue one, everywhere I go, I get complements on the color, blue is not my favorite color but then again it is others favorite color. I would have never bought a crossfire without the two tone eggshell white & black interior but others like the two tone grey interior etc, again, diversity is good. Was single for 21 years, married for 27 & now single for 24, I can tell you which I prefer!, again, my choice, works for me, maybe not for others. I will alternate my typing to please all?, or maybe not?. I know as one gets older, everything small is hard to read or make out, thus the large numeral watches & clocks & on & on, at 18 everything works but by the time you reach 74 you certainly are more comfortable with different things, which each one of us finds out as time marches on. The Crossfire is a hoot, at any age but I can appreciate & care for it much better now than when I was 18, which was crunch & burn time!, oh that 41 & 49 Ford Convertable I had are just memories, now each one is worth more than a crossfire!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Forum Regular

It dosen't seem they sell them online, looks like I might have to pick it up in person at my nearest store.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Just had tires from The Rack installed at a franchise dealer, no issues all week, suddenly battery is dead...amazing ha. I have been in the car biz for over 30 years and do not buy this... I know the Service Director and have sent an email to him with my concerns. If needed, I will try the Walmart 48-3 deal.
Fun Fun

Quick Reply: Crossfire Battery