Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Occasional problem with getting the car in gear (manual transmission)

Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Occasional problem with getting the car in gear (manual transmission)

Originally Posted by mika33
Ya, I was going to say... I could never get it into first while moving. What have you done to your gearbox?? I am jealous. I do not slam my gears or anything... but sometime it is smoother than other times.
Haven't done a thing to it, just lucky I guess. In my Miata I had changed to a synthetic gear oil and didn't really notice a huge difference. That car could be a real pain to get into reverse sometimes. The Crossfire, never. And I don't even drive it that much.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Occasional problem with getting the car in gear (manual transmission)

Originally Posted by Rblakeney
Yes, I have the problem in first and second when the box is cold. First improves fairly quickly, but second takes longer as the fluid heats up, but second is never as smooth as the remaining gears.

The BMW boys over at BMWCCA swear by Red Line for improving shift quality in their boxes. Anyone here ever tried it?
Yes I do as well. THis is somewhat charactersitic of manual trannys when cold. Now that being said it is not something that should be by anymeans a regular occurrence, this is more of an occasional thing that sometimes occurs.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've noticed the same thing about the 1st-2nd upshift when cold. Don't seem to have trouble with the reverse though. But once she warms up she's fairly smooth. My PTs were cranky in the mornings too, they also had German trannys .

Old 08-08-2014, 02:53 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same NSG370 tranny in my Jeep TJ needs a shift from 1st then a good thrust down into reverse to prevent the grind. From everything I have heard from the Jeep Wrangler circles, only Chrysler MT fluid for the NSG370 should be used. Many have had problems with syncros after prolonged use of even synthetics such as Redline, Royal Purple and Amsoil.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Forum Regular

All four of my cars are manuals and sometimes with my Jeep or my Mazda 6 I have hard time getting them to go into reverse. When that happens I go to first gear and then reverse with no problem. I have never noticed this with my Crossfire however.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by xjken
All four of my cars are manuals and sometimes with my Jeep or my Mazda 6 I have hard time getting them to go into reverse. When that happens I go to first gear and then reverse with no problem. I have never noticed this with my Crossfire however.

Thanks for your input. Loving the Jeep too!!!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On occasion I've also had the grinding in reverse, even though I would swear it felt like it was fully engaged.
And when fully engaged, sometimes it would slip out of reverse upon engaging the clutch.
This happens rarely, and I believe it's just the nature of the beast.

As stated, if I would only remember to go from First to Reverse, it's a non-issue...

(But that grinding noise still freaks me out...lol...)