Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster roof not going down

Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roadster roof not going down

Hi All

I'm new, in every sense. Just signed up, and just bought a Crossfire roadster yesterday. I must say, so far I'm loving this car. Less than £8500 for a 4 year old car with only 18000 miles on the clock is good enough in any car, but these things are just beautiful aren't they?

Drooling aside, I can't work out the roof, and was wondering if anyone can help. This is what I'm doing...

Start the engine (making sure it's in neutral and the handbrake is on)
In the trunk, I make sure the shelf is down, and that the upright bit is clicked in place (I can't really see when it's up, but it looks like the side bits have clicked in to their places okay)
Then I turn the handle inside the car (the windows both go down)
Then I push the roof up so that it's raised up about 8 inches
I turn the handle back to it's original position
Then I press the button, and all I get is a slow and repetative beeping.

I'm pretty sure it's something I'm doing wrong, as the guy I bought it from assures me it was working fine for him and he has been trying his best to help me get it working, but he's an independant dealer and isn't really familiar with the car.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to being able to help others when I get more familiar with the car.

James

Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Roadster roof not going down

This almost always has to do with the micro switches in the cargo divider. It takes a somewhat practiced hand to seat them properly. Do you have an owner's manual? Read up on it?

Oh, and the trunk/boot must be completely closed with it's switches closed too.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Try wiggling the piece in the trunk. I think it's not getting a good signal from the switch. you kind of have to lift it up into it's hooks and give a little push forward on it to seat it into it's position.

Also, since you didn't say I figure i'll just throw this out there, you have to have the trunk closed.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by apkano
Try wiggling the piece in the trunk. I think it's not getting a good signal from the switch. you kind of have to lift it up into it's hooks and give a little push forward on it to seat it into it's position.

Also, since you didn't say I figure i'll just throw this out there, you have to have the trunk closed.
I beat ya'!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Thumbs up Re: Roadster roof not going down

You guys rock. Thanks for the lightening fast responses. Sorry, I should have said that I had closed the trunk, but that's for the suggestion. I will try some more with wiggling the piece in the trunk some more when I get home tonight and let you know how I get on.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mottster77
You guys rock. Thanks for the lightening fast responses. Sorry, I should have said that I had closed the trunk, but that's for the suggestion. I will try some more with wiggling the piece in the trunk some more when I get home tonight and let you know how I get on.
Let us know-we actually care!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Let us know-we actually care!
+1 Sometimes these cars just require a little fidgeting.

BTW....you only beat me by a second or two max!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by apkano
+1 Sometimes these cars just require a little fidgeting.

BTW....you only beat me by a second or two max!

And hand grenades too!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Forum Regular

Just to be sure that you are clear on the issue is is related to the fact that the little trunk flap inside needs to be up and seated. If this is not up the top will assume that you have a full trunk and will not go down.

This is likely the problem. It happened to me and had I not had this issue at the dealer I would not have been aware.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Thumbs up Re: Roadster roof not going down

Yeah, it was indeed me doing it wrong. One good hard shove on the upright bit and it worked first time. I think I was just being a bit too delicate with it before. Really appreciate the feedback from you guys, it gave me the confidence to try again with it.

Thanks all

James

PS sorry if I somehow started a bit of guerilla warefare amongst you guys with the hand grenades!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Yeah, it was indeed me doing it wrong. One good hard shove on the upright bit and it worked first time. I think I was just being a bit too delicate with it before. Really appreciate the feedback from you guys, it gave me the confidence to try again with it.

Thanks all

James

PS sorry if I somehow started a bit of guerilla warefare amongst you guys with the hand grenades!
It's all in the family! We actually compete to see who can be right AND help the fastest.

And the grenade thing-it's like being close in time. "Late by a second is the same as an hour". Being close with an answer isn't good enough. Being close only counts with hand grenades. And mortars too, I suppose...

Old 02-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I was gonna give you a smart *** answer like maybe your car wants to be a coupe! Welcome to the forum.
Pat

Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon

And hand grenades too!

Hehe.......would you be surprised if I said I happen to have a hand grenade?

Glad to hear you got it to work mottster77........ must be nice.....it's 32 degrees here, my top is firmly up!

Old 02-13-2009, 03:09 PM

No, and either would the AT of F! Don't even mention things like that! Dept. of Homeland Security folk might hear.

[quote=apkano]Hehe.......would you be surprised if I said I happen to have a hand grenade?

quote]

Old 02-13-2009, 04:53 PM

I really do have one! It's one of those inert ones you can buy as a paperweight.

It sits on my desk at work. You can have one too!

http://www.keepshooting.com/military...rt-grenade.htm

Last edited by apkano; 02-13-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Code:
Hi All

I'm new, in every sense. Just signed up, and just bought a Crossfire roadster yesterday. I must say, so far I'm loving this car. Less than £8500 for a 4 year old car with only 18000 miles on the clock is good enough in any car, but these things are just beautiful aren't they?

Drooling aside, I can't work out the roof, and was wondering if anyone can help. This is what I'm doing...

Start the engine (making sure it's in neutral and the handbrake is on)
In the trunk, I make sure the shelf is down, and that the upright bit is clicked in place (I can't really see when it's up, but it looks like the side bits have clicked in to their places okay)
Then I turn the handle inside the car (the windows both go down)
Then I push the roof up so that it's raised up about 8 inches
I turn the handle back to it's original position
Then I press the button, and all I get is a slow and repetative beeping.

I'm pretty sure it's something I'm doing wrong, as the guy I bought it from assures me it was working fine for him and he has been trying his best to help me get it working, but he's an independant dealer and isn't really familiar with the car.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to being able to help others when I get more familiar with the car.

James
Hi James and welcome to the forum! You have already found out that there is a lot of help and information here. If you get a chance post some pictures of your new Roadster, I myself never tire of seeing them...

Once again welcome...

Respectfully,

Paul (MisterTaz)

Old 02-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Post Re: Roadster roof not going down

Thanks to all you guys, this forum is fantastic. Over here in good old England the Crossfire is very rare, the first time I'd actually seen one in real life was when I went to look at the one I ended up buying. It's been snowing here recently (it's been years since we last had snow), so not the best weather for having the roof down, but it was great to see it working last night and I will get some pictures on very soon.

James

Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 PM

I 've had that problem from time to time and the results were always simply. Make sure that you latch the top divider in the trunk fully and that the trunk lid was fully closed!
Welcome again!

Last edited by DMS Xfire; 02-14-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks to all you guys, this forum is fantastic. Over here in good old England the Crossfire is very rare, the first time I'd actually seen one in real life was when I went to look at the one I ended up buying. It's been snowing here recently (it's been years since we last had snow), so not the best weather for having the roof down, but it was great to see it working last night and I will get some pictures on very soon.

James

James you have a great car and the fact that it is so rare in england is awesome because it will be a sure item of discussion!

Congrats and I know that you will enjoy it!