Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Picking up '05 Roadster next week -- anything to look for at dealer?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picking up '05 Roadster next week -- anything to look for at dealer?

Hey guys. Put a small CC deposit down on an 05 Graphite Crossfire Roadster Limited last month. Manual without the factory nav. At a Chrysler dealership, car is in off a lease with about 37,000 miles on it. New tires just put on the back. Contis, I believe.

Going to pick the car up next week and drive it home. Hopefully. Never seen it before, as the dealership is about four hours away, so I need to check the car out beforehand and drive it before paying off the amount owing. So question is what should I be looking for regarding potential flaws/problems? I've got these issues I'll be checking out:

--Possible door rust under the lower door seals.
--Headlight yellowing/fogging.
--Back windshield separating from the soft top.

Anything else I need to keep an eye out for? Really looking forward to taking this baby home, but want to be sure I'm looking over all the potential issues beforehand so I get the best possible deal. Always wary about buying used cars, of course, especially from dealers.

Really appreciate the feedback here. Might not even be a bad thread to sticky somewhere, since so many people are buying Xfires right now due to the crazy low prices.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Default Re: Picking up 05 Roadster next week -- anything to look for at dealer?

Mine had a trans leak where a connector to some kind of sensor was plugged in. I hear that's very common, they replaced the whole thing. The seat heaters are a not if but when problem. Check 'em out. Check out all the TSB's (technical service bulletins) on the forum and online. I don't know if your buying from a dealer or fast talking Joe, but my dealer had all the previous work done in the computer. Do a car fax check to make sure it wasn't crunched. Do a search on the forum for repairs or work done under warranty. A couple of the guys here had laundry lists that would shock you. It's a great car but you're right to do your homework, do a lot of it, these things can get real pricey when it comes to replacement parts. It is a Benz.

Sorry about the lousey punctuation but it's too late to proofread

Last edited by Mr. Max; 02-20-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Default Re: Picking up '05 Roadster next week -- anything to look for at dealer?

Toddy, check the backs of the interior door pulls. Some of these have separated and can become sharp. I had them replaced under warranty in both of my cars. Good luck and I hope she checks out for you.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Picking up '05 Roadster next week -- anything to look for at dealer?

Ditto the door pull sliced three of my fingers open!
Check your seat heaters work, you will need them for top down in the cold.
Also check the wiring for the rear defroster...when putting the top down it can get messed up.
Have them replace your interior cabin filter.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said the dealer is four hours away from you. Is it in Ontario or Quebec? Good luck with the purchase.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM

Hi Toddy;

Where are you picking it up? TO? I hope the weather stays fine for the drive home. You don't want to pick up all that nasty salt.

I was forced to take mine out last week since my Jeep would not start on the evening that it was really warm and foggy here in Ottawa. I had an early morning meeting and another one immediately after, so taking a cab was not an option. I had to have full insurance reinstated for the day and while it was a fine day, I am going to give her a sponge bath in the garage. I had no time to have her washed before she went back into storage.

What sort of mileage does the car have? It will be nice to see another Crossfire on the roads here. There are only a few.

Cathie

Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like the twin to my roadster, and she's been trouble free for 32k miles. Make sure they did the radiator TSB -- it was the only recall. Check all accessories, seat heaters, top operations (it's tricky - read the manual and pay attention to the divider in the trunk), rims for road rash, etc. Note that the 1st-2nd shift may be notchy. It should not pull to either side when driving on the highway or when braking. Make sure the air pump and sealer are in the well under the trunk -- there is a large, empty hole on the right normally. The pump and inflator are in two holes on the left.

Most importantly, enjoy it.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Forum Regular

Some have had the glass seperation issue.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 PM

[32k miles. Make sure they did the radiator TSB -- it was the only recall.

i brought my05 roadster to dealer for oil change and asked they check for any recalls- they said there were none- when did this come out? thanks C

Old 03-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Make sure it has a supercharger under the hood

Old 03-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotus F1
Make sure it has a supercharger under the hood
Sadly an SC is kinda rare on a Limited. Especialy one with a manual tranny.

roadster with a stick

Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 AM

I know...