Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Lambo doors, Yes or No?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: Lambo doors, Yes or No?

Vote: NO.

It's bad enough being accused of being a Mercedes wannabe -- don't need to be accused of being a Lambourghini wannabee at the same time. Mostly because I personally like the car as it is.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patpur
RMADERMAN & Ichon both have lambo doors, you should contact them and ask about any issues they may have. Personally I look at it this way. If you make a mod like this are you planning on keeping your car or trading it in or selling it down the road?. If you have no plans to get rid of it by all means go with it but if you are gonna get rid of your car in a year or two, unless you remove them I think they would go against you in a trade situation, not sure in a sale, you might find someone who likes them, or doesn't and that could be a deal breaker. Lambos are a pretty big mod so be sure its what you want and makes sense in your situation. There are other things I'd do to my car first before doing a mod like that, lambos have never excited me.
Pat

Good points on the trade factor, but if I remember right, the right kits allow the doors to be opened as normal as well. To me I would see the dealers trying to use this as a resale feature to younger (than me) people who would find it neat...thus one could use it as an argument against many dealers....but success is a different story.

The rock bottom line Caught in a XFire is it really comes down to what you really want. I'll drive this car till I can no longer drive it or it can no longer be driven (at this point). So if you really like them and can get a look them on an XF or comparable car then do that first.

Good luck and take pics if you do.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kits let you open the door as normal????

Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Voyager
what kits let you open the door as normal????
Blaze is right , there is a kit which allows you to open the door either way, but i cant remember which one it is.

Last edited by Caught in a Xfire; 07-02-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Erzer
Good points on the trade factor, but if I remember right, the right kits allow the doors to be opened as normal as well. To me I would see the dealers trying to use this as a resale feature to younger (than me) people who would find it neat...thus one could use it as an argument against many dealers....but success is a different story.

The rock bottom line Caught in a XFire is it really comes down to what you really want. I'll drive this car till I can no longer drive it or it can no longer be driven (at this point). So if you really like them and can get a look them on an XF or comparable car then do that first.

Good luck and take pics if you do.
my car is a sunday, fair weather driver. i dont drive it every day to work or anything like that, heck i dont even drive it in the rain or winter. i dont really see myself getting rid of it anytime soon either [ keeping it for my grand daughter shes six should be worth something by then]. so it is something of a show car in that respect. i really dont have any other mods that i want to do to the car, for me less is more IMHO no new wheels, intakes,exhausts,pullies,chrome trim, etc.etc.etc. not that there is anything wrong with doing that stuff its just not for me. so i guess what im saying is this mod may just be right for me and my car. and i will be doing my homework on this before anyone puts any wrench hammer,screwdriver or blowtorch to my baby. oh yeah, by and by they look really neat!!

Last edited by Caught in a Xfire; 07-02-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Caught in a Xfire
to hard to get in and out of, with gull wings.
Its hard to get out with lambo doors too....basically if it were practical or even smart to do lambo doors or gull wing doors they would be on every car. But if you think making it harder to get in and out and paying too much money for a look that people hardly see about your car is cool then go for it.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 PM

my car is a sunday, fair weather driver. i dont drive it every day to work or anything like that, heck i dont even drive it in the rain or winter. i dont really see myself getting rid of it anytime soon either [ keeping it for my grand daughter shes six should be worth something by then]. so it is something of a show car in that respect. i really dont have any other mods that i want to do to the car, for me less is more IMHO no new wheels, intakes,exhausts,pullies,chrome trim, etc.etc.etc. not that there is anything wrong with doing that stuff its just not for me. so i guess what im saying is this mod may just be right for me and my car. and i will be doing my homework on this before anyone puts any wrench hammer,screwdriver or blowtorch to my baby. oh yeah, by and by they look really neat!!

Based on that, why bother.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if anyone knows about the kit that allows your car to open the door as normal please send me the link

Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a seasoned citizen with bum legs, I find the doors a Godsend. I had been "locked" out of my car many times when in a parking lot. The idiots next to me would pull over the line and I could only open the door to the first detent. Also being slightly rotund, it was impossible for me to get in (maybe I could climb over in a roadster) to my coupe.

Even when I could open the door beyond the first detent, I found myself often kicking the speaker grille. Now the area by my feet is open and I just swing around in my seat and step out.

I went with Vertical Doors because;
1) they own the patent on the "out and up" design.
2) They are US made with a lifetime warranty
3) They are bolt on (the OEM door hinges can be replaced if you want)
4) If you are small enough you can get in at the first detent without lifting
5) They include a modified washer bottle (with some weld ons you lose it)
6) They gave me a great deal
7) They look awesome on the car
8) Did I mention "medical" reasons?

If you are interested in a set (they are specific for the Crossfire) you can order through me (this is not a profit item) or deal directly with them. I can get them for you for right at $1K. You can check the price on their website and see that is a great buy.

They include directions and if you are handy with body work, you can install them yourself. Otherwise you can find a place that will do them for you. On the other hand, if you are in SoCal (or planning a trip) you can have them installed right at the factory in Corona, California.

Here is the website with pictures of my car plus a couple others
Vertical Doors, Inc. - Chrysler 2004 - 2008 Crossfire :: Vertical Door Kits :: Direct Bolt on Kits

Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
As a seasoned citizen with bum legs, I find the doors a Godsend. I had been "locked" out of my car many times when in a parking lot. The idiots next to me would pull over the line and I could only open the door to the first detent. Also being slightly rotund, it was impossible for me to get in (maybe I could climb over in a roadster) to my coupe.

Even when I could open the door beyond the first detent, I found myself often kicking the speaker grille. Now the area by my feet is open and I just swing around in my seat and step out.

If you are interested in a set (they are specific for the Crossfire) you can order through me (this is not a profit item) or deal directly with them. I can get them for you for right at $1K. You can check the price on their website and see that is a great buy.

They include directions and if you are handy with body work, you can install them yourself. Otherwise you can find a place that will do them for you. On the other hand, if you are in SoCal (or planning a trip) you can have them installed right at the factory in Corona, California.

Vertical Doors, Inc. - Chrysler 2004 - 2008 Crossfire :: Vertical Door Kits :: Direct Bolt on Kits

how exactly are the hinges bolted to the existing hinge bolt holes?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 PM

They are bolted to the upper OEM hinge mount. These kits are engineered and manufactured in the USA, no cheap import stuff.

how exactly are the hinges bolted to the existing hinge bolt holes?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 PM

They are bolted to the upper OEM hinge mount. These kits are engineered and manufactured in the USA, no cheap import stuff.
do they move in the wind? and can you post pics of the hinge and how the wiring harness for the speakers are handled please?

Old 07-03-2009, 12:09 AM

do they move in the wind? and can you post pics of the hinge and how the wiring harness for the speakers are handled please?
Pardon me while I get the image of a Crossfire flapping its "doors" across the sky. LMAO

Yes of course they can move a little with a strong wind, even a standard door will some. The hing is VERY thick and heavy and has a very strong adjustable strut. They used a wire cover and extended the wire. It slips into the same area that is used originally.

If you do not like attention, don't even consider getting them. Everyone says, "...I had no idea they came with those doors!"

I am currently out of town and can't take any pictures right now. I suggest you look closely at the Vertical Doors website.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im getting them in september! We have a group buy on this through the forum. Its $1100 installed vertical doors inc kit if you dont mind visiting California for a couple of days. PM me and ill get the guys contact. Im very excited about it. The only thing ive been contemplating is spending the extra 2k for the LSD doors as I heard they are the best and much smoother when you open and close the door.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually just posted telling this dude I was coming to see you in September to get my xfires doors done! haha

Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tamadx
Its hard to get out with lambo doors too....basically if it were practical or even smart to do lambo doors or gull wing doors they would be on every car. But if you think making it harder to get in and out and paying too much money for a look that people hardly see about your car is cool then go for it.
That is not true. Getting in is much easier without a question. Getting out requires some strenght to open the doors upward, but once that is done it is easier to get out.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamadx
Its hard to get out with lambo doors too....
I respectfully disagree. After having witnessed the Lambo doors on Karl's (SRT SIX) car I can tell you from personal experience that they are far, far easier to get in and out of, especially when space is tight. The kit he has, expensive though it may be, is pretty awesome. There is plenty of room to simply turn and step out. When parked close to another vehicle (or the tight confines in my garage's third bay, where my Crossfire is parked) they are enormously convenient. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Question Re: Lambo doors, Yes or No?

I was all ready to buy these for myself as a present when I saw this post...

The way you worded that makes me have to ask, does this mean that they are NOT connected to the lower hinge mount any more?

If so, are the new hinges so beefy that they make up the difference? Seems like you would lose some of your protection if you had a wreck.

I use my XFire as my only vehicle so...

Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Corey

The way you worded that makes me have to ask, does this mean that they are NOT connected to the lower hinge mount any more?

If so, are the new hinges so beefy that they make up the difference? Seems like you would lose some of your protection if you had a wreck.

Corey, my daughter's lambo doors are custom. They were not done with a kit and they are mounted to both the upper and lower areas using the original bolts to hold the doors on the pillars. You open the door to the first stop then lift. These doors are heavy and will wear out the hydrolics every couple of years. The doors can be taken back to stock with out any major problems.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:19 PM

There is no loss in structural integrity. When the doors are closed they are as solid as a rock. The doors lock like a vault.

Originally Posted by Corey

Quick Reply: Lambo doors, Yes or No?