Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hokkabaz
All I needed to fix the window was a tube of black silicone and bunch of news papers. Total cost <10$
Time spent<1 hour.
I have a small area about an inch that has come loose and was thinking about the black silicon as well. Did you clamp it to dry after the application of the silicon?
Thanks mark

Old 05-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Smile Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Ok!

WTG Chrysler for paying for my new top!

Old 05-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Originally Posted by Rets
Ok!

WTG Chrysler for paying for my new top!
Congratulations! If first sold in TN, it is one of the 9 "Special States". We've mailed significant documentation to NHTSA (months ago, No response at all!) and Head of Calif. Dept. of Consumer Affairs, still waiting, fighting for anyone in the other 41 States who got screwed like we did. So hard to believe that Chrysler never wants our business again!

Old 06-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Well after slogging through this entire thread, whew!

I just bought a 2005 Limited Crossfire and after finding this forum, I went and checked my rear window. Sure enough, it is starting to detach but not leaking yet. So I called the number 800-334-9200. Unfortunately my car was originally delivered in Maryland so it is not covered under the recall. I did lodge a complaint with Chrysler that if they have a known defect due to high humidity, it should not be contingent upon the state the car was delivered to since I know the car has been in VA for at least 2 - 3 years and the humidity here is unreal. I was nice and polite but other than officially lodging the complaint, they were not so helpful.

My next call was to my local dealer. I went straight the the service manager since I did not want to waste my time with the appointment people. I started with the fact I am a long time customer of the dealership which is a Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge Dealer since I have owned two jeeps over the last ten years. Explained the situation and he was clearly aware of the issue and is having me come in tomorrow to take pictures to send to the main Chrysler company and see if they will cover anything. So I will update when I find anything out. I'm just going to be as polite as possible but focus on the fact it is a known defect for cars exposed to high humidity and heat so it should not be dependent on original delivery since cars often change locations quite frequently throughout their lifespan.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 PM

My 2008 Limited Crossfire has almost lost its rear window. It is literally hanging by a thread. Noticed that it was becoming unglued right before a lengthy out of town trip ( in another vehicle). I went out to drive it today to my exercise class and got the very nasty surprise. I am now saying bad words. Have to get it fixed - quick, which probably means $$$. Have not yet reread my extended warranty, but from the posts here, it does not sound good.

Alicia

Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 PM

Just an update on my top repair. The silicoln lasted 2 days DONT waste your time! I bought a tube of window weld and repaired the rear window again. After a week and quit a few lowering and raising the top......it seems to be holding!!! HOPES ARE HIGH

Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 PM

So dealer was a bust, so I found the 3M stuff at autozone but they did not have the primer. Ended up ordering that on ebay so I will tackle the repair myself with my husband's help sometime in the next few weeks. I have a car cover so I will keep it covered just in case it rains and leaks. Hopefully I can do it right before our trip to Ireland so it will have plenty of time to set up.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone tried the E6000 adhesive? Got some saddlebag liners for my Harley and it came with a tube of it for the lids. Reportedly in the Walmart crafts department.. They have a slick plastic surface that you are gluing to leather. Says 24-72 hours to cure.. 48 worked on the lids just fine. Looking through some threads on it.. they say you can glue water to fire.. LOL.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CipherBIF
So dealer was a bust, so I found the 3M stuff at autozone but they did not have the primer. Ended up ordering that on ebay so I will tackle the repair myself with my husband's help sometime in the next few weeks. I have a car cover so I will keep it covered just in case it rains and leaks. Hopefully I can do it right before our trip to Ireland so it will have plenty of time to set up.
I did a complete rear window repair using the 3M window weld and the recommended primer. I even purchased special deep throat C-clamps to secure the window while the adhesive cured. The rear window is back in place and sealed perfectly. Everything has been fine for several months and through several top up and down cycles. I don't anticipate any future issues. I don't think I would try to do this again as it was a VERY messy job and required about 15 hours of work + the expense of the adhesive, primer and tools. It is possible to reseal the rear window however . . . just sayin' . . .

required two of these . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-In-Extra-...item1e78a4c4ac

and two sets of these . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-D...item5409494d34

Last edited by RED DOG; 06-11-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:33 PM

Well, I'm hoping for the best. Now I'm suspicious the guy I bought the car from did some kind of temporary fix that disguised the problem. I did not notice any separation in test driving the car multiple times and watching the top up/down operation. I had a mechanic look over the car and specifically asked to make sure there were no leaks in the top. Now that I noticed it the other day, it is way worse in just a few days. He had to have done some temporary tack that is now completely failing for it to go from barely obvious to how would both myself and the mechanic miss that even if we did not know about the window problem. The left side is almost completely detaching now.

Hoping the primer arrives this weekend so I can work on the repair Monday and then it can sit and cure while we are on vacation.

Are the clamps necessary? can't you just put top back up and use something on the inside to push the window up? You are the first person to mention clamping.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Use clamps for the best results with tacking it down. Once tacking down is dried, then apply the rest of the adhesive around the window and place a crappy pillow against the glass to hold it in place while adhesive dries. Or so I have read. Mind you my Window is still in perfect shape.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Moltenburn
Use clamps for the best results with tacking it down. Once tacking down is dried, then apply the rest of the adhesive around the window and place a crappy pillow against the glass to hold it in place while adhesive dries. Or so I have read. Mind you my Window is still in perfect shape.
I wish I had a four car garage.
In the garage;
05 SRT6
'66 Mustang coupe.
Sitting on the driveway;
'07 Chrysler 300
'14 Hyundai Elantra
Only two of the cars are worth keeping, guess which ...........
wrong again.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I wish I had a four car garage.
In the garage;
05 SRT6
'66 Mustang coupe.
Sitting on the driveway;
'07 Chrysler 300
'14 Hyundai Elantra
Only two of the cars are worth keeping, guess which ...........
wrong again.
Lol so do I. But I have the next best thing. My mother's house is down the street and hers is empty. Therefore tons of garage space by osmosis. Lol

Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 PM

Well, time will tell now. Used Machplus2's instructions and wasn't as bad as I thought. Going to let it sit until tomorrow night and then try to trim the excess. Fingers crossed.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read today in the WSJ that Chrysler is recalling cars registered in Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands for air bags that might explode inadvertently. Something to do with ultra humid conditions. Sounds something like Roadster rear windows.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the article in its entirety:

7 automakers fixing vehicles for air bag problems as industry breaks record | The Detroit News

Old 07-11-2014, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
What does this mean?

Is someone telling you it costs $9,000 dollars for a TOP?

CLOTH TOP VEHICLE - CONVERTIBLE/SOFT TOP »Cover & components Chrysler › Crossfire › 2005-2008 List Price : $2,222.00
Your Price : $1,555.40

Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
CLOTH TOP VEHICLE - CONVERTIBLE/SOFT TOP »Cover & components Chrysler › Crossfire › 2005-2008 List Price : $2,222.00
That's about the price I was quoted as well but window weld and primer for around 50 bucks seems to be working so far. So try that route first. My only recommendation would be try to use less window weld and really push the canvas against window and squeeze it out. One corner it's too thick and you can tell there was a repair. Where we had less and we're better about pushing the canvas to window you can't even tell it was diy.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 PM

I did the repair about 3 years ago, then a couple of months ago my local dealer called and said I should bring my car in to see if I qualified for replacement, and I did, so we now have brand new top , even though my repair was holding strong as the day I fixed it.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson

How about under $1000.00? Check this link for an OEM dealer supplied top!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-CROSSFIRE-NEW-MOPAR-FACTORY-OEM-REPLACEMENT-CONVERTIBLE-TOP-WITH-GLASS-/390699518515?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACrossfire&hash=item5af7818a33

I think this is what people are talking about.

George

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?