Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

2004-07 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible Tops and Convertible Top Parts Here is one company that offers in different color but you would have to install the top yourself.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 PM

ok…have read numerous complaints about the 2005 crossfire but today my 2008 crossfire window fell in (didn't break). After talking to Chrysler dealer they referred me to a trim guy in Houston where I live. He says $850 to reglue and 3-4 days time. I also checked with my regular mechanic and he said he has a "guy" who does that kind of thing and it would be about $200 he thought (and he is very trustworthy). I called Chrysler Helpline and had a very nice lady help but she couldn't find any kind of extended warranty other than the 2005 model and she had heard about it but couldn't find it on her computer. I paid an extra $1950 for a maximum warranty after the finance manager told me the top was covered (which I was only worried about) but now they say with another year left it doesn't cover the top!! The dealership closed not long after I bought my car. So what do ya'll suggest? Paying the $850 (trim guy said he has had no complaints about doing the crossfires he has fixed) or try the 3M and window weld (someone else to do that!) I did read a lady said that she had temporarily fixed her window and when the extension became available Chrysler would not honor it due to her fixing it!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I re-glued mine with 3M 08609 Window weld, using the primer as directed, and it is still in (3 weeks). I clamped it while curing.

It lloks pretty good, but considering the way it's made, I have only some confidence in my repair, or anyone's for that matter. The fabric is under too much tension for a adhesive-based repair to last IMHO.

I helped a buddy replace his Crossfire top today.

It ain't rocket science. Buy a top and DIY. Heck, change the color if it suits!

$650 or $1350. What's the difference? Anyone?

Is there a running list of places to buy?

Old 07-27-2014, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I re-glued mine with 3M 08609 Window weld, using the primer as directed, and it is still in (3 weeks). I clamped it while curing.

It lloks pretty good, but considering the way it's made, I have only some confidence in my repair, or anyone's for that matter. The fabric is under too much tension for a adhesive-based repair to last IMHO.

I helped a buddy replace his Crossfire top today.

It ain't rocket science. Buy a top and DIY. Heck, change the color if it suits!

$650 or $1350. What's the difference? Anyone?

Is there a running list of places to buy?

2004-07 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible Tops and Convertible Top Parts

http://www.topsonline.com/model/Conv...Crossfire.html

http://www.gahh.com/crossfire.php

Very few places carry a replacement top for the Crossfire, This has different colors to choose from.

Last edited by Mel Gibson; 07-27-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
Thanks very much for that. Those are the same ones I've found.

Now, has there been any reports of issues or gross differences between the $$ ones and the $$$$$ ones?

(Please save me from reading 345 posts?)

Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 PM

I just picked my Crossfire up from the dealer this morning. Top replaced at no charge! This has been a very bizarre journey with Chrysler Customer Care, and the dealer. I didn't take no for an answer on at least 3 occasions, and they finally agreed to honor the warranty. I hope this provides some hope to some who have had no success, and have given up on their attempt to get Chrysler to honor this warranty. It was treated as a customer "goodwill" warranty due to the fact that my car didn't qualify under the "magical state of original delivery" rule.
Happy camper today!

Old 08-23-2014, 11:37 AM

Anyone on here try the newer product by 3M p/n 08612? Advance says suitable for our window reattachment with same type adhesive involved. It's a "new" product.

3M Window-Weld Round Ribbon Sealer, 3/8" x 15 ft Kit
Part No. 08612 Warranty

$19.99

Maybe the original 08609 if more suitable to our issues. Anyone have experience with the ribbon? Thanks.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 AM

The top repair shop I used (Fort Myers Florida $400 Dollars) to fix my 08 with the window falling out removed the top and stitched the fabric around the whole opening. The glue lets go under the folded over fabric, 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide. without the stitching you are gluing to a weakend folded over edge. I tried a locktite solution a couple of years ago with short term success before having the top removed and the seam stitched.
The repair shop used "Permatex"maximum oil resistance RTV silicone gasket maker. It may be available in various colours but the tube he gave me is labeled Ultra Black and the part number is PX # 82180.
The repair has stood up to constant use for the past two years and wind buffeting of the back window although I try to avoid this by having the top up windows closed or top down when on the highway.
I have not seen the ribbon product you have described but suggest the weaker glue under the folded over edge has to be part of the repair procedure with whatever solution you choose.
My 08 which winters in Florida and comes north to Canada cottage country for the summer was originally from Florida and the heat is what kills the original glue joint.
If you try the ribbon please share the results for ever ones benefit.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ad this one to the list . . . Electron Tops . . . They were highly recommended by my local installer . . .

Replacement Convertible Top Manufacturer, convertible tops, rag tops

I have a new top on order for my SSB SRT6 roadster in the dark blue top of the line German cloth . . . $700.00 for the top.
They do require that the original top be sent to them so they can recover and reuse the injection molded plastic pieces to stitch into the new top. I removed the old top myself following the reasonably clear instructions found in the 2005 Crossfire service manual. A pretty easy job that took less than two hours. After that experience I could do one it in less than an hour now.

Last edited by RED DOG; 08-24-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 AM

Thanks Tripple J. Glad you got yours resolved the right way it would appear. I'll try the ribbon and report on any success and/or failure. If / when it fails I'll go the stitching route although I'm a bit confused as to what is being stitched (additional material added/stitched on to "capture" the glass edge?). Maybe you could elaborate on that part of your fix and/or post some closeup pictures. Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 AM

Sorry no Pic's the repair was done a couple of years ago.
No additional fabric was added. When they cut the opening for the rear window they fold over a small bit of the material to make a nice looking edge.
That folded over material is then glued to itself. It is that folded over edge that has the glue failure. The glass is actually attached to the folded edge material.
If you only have a small distance of failure as I did initially it is easy to overlook the point of failure.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM

Chrysler Crossfire Questions - convertible top - CarGurus

Here's another thread covering the roadster top and rear window issue. There is the same problem with Chrysler Sebring convertibles. No surprise there. One poster said he had his glass window replaced with plastic and was very pleased with it. He did advise he lived in a climate where he felt he didn't need the defrost function on the window. Another option for some.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by SCXFire
Thanks Tripple J. Glad you got yours resolved the right way it would appear. I'll try the ribbon and report on any success and/or failure. If / when it fails I'll go the stitching route although I'm a bit confused as to what is being stitched (additional material added/stitched on to "capture" the glass edge?). Maybe you could elaborate on that part of your fix and/or post some closeup pictures. Thanks again.
The 3M 08612 ribbon sealant doesn't appear to be suitable for our issue. Not recommended for glass/fabric.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TrippleJ
The top repair shop I used (Fort Myers Florida $400 Dollars) to fix my 08 with the window falling out removed the top and stitched the fabric around the whole opening. The glue lets go under the folded over fabric, 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide. without the stitching you are gluing to a weakend folded over edge. I tried a locktite solution a couple of years ago with short term success before having the top removed and the seam stitched. The repair shop used "Permatex"maximum oil resistance RTV silicone gasket maker. It may be available in various colours but the tube he gave me is labeled Ultra Black and the part number is PX # 82180. The repair has stood up to constant use for the past two years and wind buffeting of the back window although I try to avoid this by having the top up windows closed or top down when on the highway. I have not seen the ribbon product you have described but suggest the weaker glue under the folded over edge has to be part of the repair procedure with whatever solution you choose. My 08 which winters in Florida and comes north to Canada cottage country for the summer was originally from Florida and the heat is what kills the original glue joint. If you try the ribbon please share the results for ever ones benefit.
I'm in fort myers too. What shop did you use?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 PM

My rear window just started coming unglued on the drivers side at the top and bottom. Called Chrysler 3x...No Help. Are people just paying for the repair themselves nowadays?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by stlramfan65
I just picked my Crossfire up from the dealer this morning. Top replaced at no charge! This has been a very bizarre journey with Chrysler Customer Care, and the dealer. I didn't take no for an answer on at least 3 occasions, and they finally agreed to honor the warranty. I hope this provides some hope to some who have had no success, and have given up on their attempt to get Chrysler to honor this warranty. It was treated as a customer "goodwill" warranty due to the fact that my car didn't qualify under the "magical state of original delivery" rule.
Happy camper today!
Who and how did you contact Chrysler? Email? Phone? When I've called, they have no knowledge or the warranty/TSB. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:07 PM

Lucky you. I was stonewalled many times by the local dealership and told absolutely no help from Chrysler. Paid $1,800 for a real top with a lifetime guarantee. What a ridiculous design around the rear window by Chrysler, heat or no heat. Love my 2006 Roadster, purchased new in 2008, not a fan of Chrysler custome care.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a guy that keeps telling me otherwise on the Facebook Page on the 05's warranty..

Mike LaChance 12:38am Nov 11 Hey it is not just the hot states anymore. Chrysler issued a warranty extension to 100,000 and 10 years for the 2005 roadsters. I live in Seattle and my car is from California. My top gets swapped out Thursday. Remember to tell the dealership that it is not a recall it is a warranty extension.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by chrysler care thats its a 120 month 100,000k extended service on the top. It expired last month(oct) on mine but they would still honor it because it was only a few days over. Most likely its from the production date that they are basing the warranty on. The last paper that i have seen only listed southern states. So if your car was sold in a state on that list but you live up north its still good.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's what I mean here.. he keeps claiming "all" 2005 roadsters are covered..

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?