Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Trunk Lid Jammed

Old 11-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Re: Trunklik Jammed

Got the lid open - the latch is bad --------------- willl update you all later tonight!

THANKS all and to my neighbor who pressed the top button at the right time

Old 11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

If nothing else you managed to boost your post count by 10 in a matter of hours!

Keep it up you'll be a senior in no time!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I just realized something... I put my Bible and folder in the trunk
Looks like you have made some progress.
Now grab that bible and begin to prey nothing else goes wrong...lol

Old 11-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Trunklid Jammed

Glad you got it opened ......

Old 11-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I could sense the frustration all the way to Indiana....lol....glad you got it open....

Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator

You aint' kidding, Doc!!

Ok, here is the story... I went to the neighbor's and had him hit the button while I pressed down hard on the lid. The window flipped up and the cover opened.

I had to take down the divider and then remove the cover from the bottom of the decklid, and then I grabbed the emergency handle, pulled it ---- nothing.

I then tried to take the screws out to remove the latch.... that did not work.

So, I had Don work the button on the hatch while I watched the mechanism from inside.

(When suddenly, the system (I guess) de-pressurized... had to use a couple of telescopic hikiing sticks to keep the window and cover up and open.)

Ok, back to the mechanism.... I noticed a cam or something in the way of the latch mechanism.... pushed it aside and Don grapped the button... and the lid opened!! We let the cover and window come down and then went to work on the latch itself.

THis is where it gets "fuzzy". It has worked ever since! First, the emergency handle's cam at the latch broke, but I am sure this broke AFTER I pulled it and is not part of the original problem..... I guess.

Well, that plastic part I moved out of the way has never been seen again. It is now time to look thru the trunk, etc. for that piece.

Anyway... I also learned a lot today. Never had the system loose pressure... thought I had to "re-initialize" it or something, no. Hit the "up" on the button and the top secured. Put it up and down two times.... it's fine!!!! Again, thought I was suppposed to go thru some procedure to re-set thigns after allowing the system to depressurize. I guess not.

I went to Sonics' for a Chocolate shake after finishing (still have not put the cover back on the bottom of the lid). Thought I deserved it. THen realized the neighbor was paramount to fixing this.... grabbed him and took him with me! (His wife, when we came back, said, "Remember ya owe me a ride, too.")

Summary... Still want to find the part that had the thing jammed. MIGHT be that the emergency cam had broken on it's own and caused this, but no. See, there was resistance in the handle and then it let loose.

Oh well, plastic parts....

Old 11-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The system will depressurize after 10 minutes if you start to put the top up or down and do not complete the operation. Doc is right about your sense of frustration. Bad things could have happened if you had a crow bar within hands reach. lol

Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

But what I want to know:

I had the key off. Had I left the key on, would it have used the pump to finish it's cycle? Or would it have depressurized even with the key on?

ANyway, sure am (in a way) kinda glad I experienced the "10 minute" thing... somehow thought you had to go thru some procedure to re-start the system after a de-pressure event?!?!?!? But not the case today! (Not this time, anyway).

But this would have been a GLORIOUS day for a ride in the sun...... Hate that I missed out due to what seems like a broken piece of plastic.

Again, thanks to all who posted (yea, even Beaner and Tight).

Old 11-29-2009, 07:38 PM

From what I have read, it will relieve the pressure after 10 minutes even if the key is left on. It will make a long beep, and then depressurize the hydraulics.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Well, now that I have done it once, I think I'll leave the key on the next time and see what it does. I THOUGHT I read that it would beep and continue it's operation... I'll see if I can find that.

Have not put the cover on the bottom of the hatch yet, still trying to verify that the offending part is not floating around in there.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Again, thanks to all who posted (yea, even Beaner and Tight).
Any time good buddy!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Twelve posts in 6 1/2 hours that has got to be a record. I'll get in touch with the Guinness Book of Records people and see if we can't have it recognized officially.
I can see the local paper headlines "Man Gets Cross After Shutting His Bible in His Trunk"
Hallelujah!

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-29-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been sitting pins and needs reading these posts... you should write a screenplay! Glad that you have the issue resolved!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Administrator

I sure would like to know some things: Am I the only one to have this happen?
Did I do something to cause this? Just where did that part come from that jammed it?

Oh well, I guess I fixed it. Should be happy with myself, right? There are plenty of WORSE things people have had happen to these cars... maybe this is my version of a "problem". (At least it wasn't Franc's "no start" problem!)

Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds to me like you had the devil in your trunk.

Glad you were able to let him out.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:59 PM

Actually, I had this happen to me on Thanksgiving day. My neighbor from across the street had out of town company, and wanted to bring him over to see my car. The guy was a technical/sales rep for Moton Suspension Technologies. Anyway, after talking suspension stuff for a long while, and talking about my car, he wanted to see in the trunk. I went to open it, and it would not open. I kinda forgot about it until this morning. I went out, and it still would not open. I tried locking/unlocking the doors. No luck. Then, I started raising the top just enough to reach into the trunk and pull on the emergency release chord. That did not work either. I was about to give up when my wife came out to the garage and asked what I was doing. I told her and she pulled on the latch, and the damn trunk opened. I don't know what it was, and evidently something I did earlier made it work. I guess the smile on her face was priceless for her.... but not me. LOL Anyway, I hesitantly closed the trunk lid, and it seems to be working fine now. Funny thing is, I rarely use the trunk. I did take it out on Thanksgiving morning to buy some groceries at Krogers. I used the trunk then, and had no problems. So sometime between getting home, and the neighbor coming over a couple hours later, it decided to quit working.

I thought if was kinda funny when you posted about this happening to you after I fixed mine. Well, I say fixed, but I have no idea what I did to fix it.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Ok, see, I think the emergency lever moved that loose piece of plastic out of the way for you.

EDIT: Well, ok, maybe when your wife moved the latch then...???

For some reason, my emergency lever broke instead. (The cam at the latch, that is).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... I will spend some TIME on it tomorrow night and try to find that loose part, or at least identify just what it is/was. If it DOES happen again, at least I know I got thru it once before.....

Old 11-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You best be careful not to lock yourself in the trunk.
What with the emergency release broke and all.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by GDC-SRT
You best be careful not to lock yourself in the trunk.
What with the emergency release broke and all.
LOL.... that would really suck. Of course you would have to be the size of one of Santa's elves to fit in that trunk and close the lid.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Do the coupes have an emergency release? I can't see a reason for one, since you can access the passenger area from the trunk, but still - do Coupes have an emergency release?

Quick Reply: Trunk Lid Jammed