Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Trunk Lid Jammed

Old 01-26-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trunk Lid Jammed

I can't see anything else like it in any pictures I have seen of the mechanism. I tried this morning and it simply will not budge, so I either have the wrong cable or it takes a lot of force to pull the pin to release the trunk.

I will try again later today and take pictures of what I am up against. I love the car, but this is just really pi%s**g me off at this point.

If I can't get it open I may make someone on this forum a REALLY good deal on a car.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:03 AM

Ok, trunk is opened. Now the fun part....

The top will not go down. I see nothing physically wrong with any of the switches. Windows go down when you first open the top, but then nothing else happens. The button just blinks. No sound, nothing.

Is there a sensor I should check first? I believe there are three of them that operate the top, and I am sure one of them is bad (and yes fuses are OK).

Old 02-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

1. divider switch ( drivers side in trunk where the divider bar enters the socket )
2. top released switch ( in the top frame at the passenger's right ear )
3. trunk latched switch ( integral to the latch assembly, good luck with that one ! )

Old 02-01-2016, 08:31 AM

"1. divider switch ( drivers side in trunk where the divider bar enters the socket )"

Can someone explain this one a little better? I am unsure what everyone is calling the "divider".

Old 02-01-2016, 08:42 AM

The divider is the panel in the trunk that you flip down before you lower the top ( less trunk space ),
or store in the up position against the forward panel when the top is up ( more trunk space )

Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 AM

"The divider is the panel in the trunk that you flip down"

Dam, that was obvious. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

And OBSERVE how the rod goes into the cavity onthe left (drivers) side - the divider has to sit VERTICAL not leaning forward to push that switch closed.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Half hour job thanks to Pizza Guy and Gregwork. Anybody noticed that the Mann HU718/5 is a paper filter now?

Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmier
Half hour job thanks to Pizza Guy and Gregwork. Anybody noticed that the Mann HU718/5 is a paper filter now?
If you got a paper one I would say someone swapped boxes in the store, they got a fleece filter at the paper price.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM

OK, my roadsters trunk will not open and the handle is in floppy mode. From what I read in this thread that means the pneumatic lock is engaged. I started the drop top sequence far enough to reach in the trunk and pull the emergency trunk handle which broke. Now thinking about it, that would have not worked anyway.

So my question, is there a way to reset the pneumatic top system to release the trunk lock?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Michael

Old 05-10-2016, 02:56 PM

It is most likely the electric solenoid lock controlled by the top motor, not the pneumatic one.
pizzaguy traveled this road, perhaps he'll chime in with some sage advice if he sees this thread.
Probably best to PM/IM him too.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leaddog2015
OK, my roadsters trunk will not open and the handle is in floppy mode. From what I read in this thread that means the pneumatic lock is engaged. I started the drop top sequence far enough to reach in the trunk and pull the emergency trunk handle which broke. Now thinking about it, that would have not worked anyway.

So my question, is there a way to reset the pneumatic top system to release the trunk lock?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Michael
The roadster has an electric trunk lock in addition to the pneumatic one. The electric one is there because the trunk lid and the tonneau cover will strike each other if the trunk lid is open during the top up or down sequence. Your problem could be the electric lock is stuck in the lock position. Post #107 in this thread offers a possible way of getting your trunk open by manipulating the solenoid on the electric lock. Post #122 shows you how to remove the actuator end off the solenoid so this won't happen again. Probably a good idea to look at #122 first so you'll know what the accordion thing mentioned in post #107 looks like.
If this is your problem, remove only the black actuator tip from the solenoid. It communicates with the car's computer. Removing it completely will cause the computer to assume there is a problem with the trunk lid position and not allow the top to go up or down. With the actuator tip removed the solenoid can't reach the locking pawl so it can't lock the mechanism. The solenoid thinks it's doing it's job and tells the computer all is OK back here. You just have to remember to never attempt to open or leave the trunk lid open when raising or lowering the top because this German engineered safeguard won't be there any more.

Last edited by Mackel; 05-10-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: additional remark
Old 05-12-2016, 10:28 PM

Ok, got it open via the license plate light hole. It was the electronic lock that was jammed and I released it with a screwdriver, levering to the right. Then I was able to use the screwdriver via the hole to lift the metal spring loaded latch up to open the trunk. Next I found a piece of the trunk latch linkage is broken, I am calling that latch pivot. Pictures are attached.

So it looks like I am looking for a roadster trunk latch assembly. Any ideas where I could procure one? Does the coupe and the roadster share the same latch assembly???

Also the photos are marked up to help identify how to get the license plate light out and the piece that is broken on my latch.

Thanks,

Michael

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
License Plate Light.jpg (67.0 KB, 103 views)
Latch Pivot-1.jpg (66.6 KB, 99 views)
Latch Pivot-2.jpg (156.8 KB, 98 views)
Latch Pivot-3.jpg (70.6 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by leaddog2015; 05-12-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:16 AM

If I'm not mistaken ( pizzaguy correct me on this ), the broken piece is also a part of the electrical lock assembly. Remove it and keep on truckin.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:16 AM

If the broken piece looks like this black tip, Ala_Xfire is correct, just roll on, Big Mama.
IMG_6830sm.jpg

Old 05-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
If I'm not mistaken ( pizzaguy correct me on this ), the broken piece is also a part of the electrical lock assembly. Remove it and keep on truckin.
I believe so, go back to post 73 and look at the last photo in that post. LAST PHOTO.

It looks to me (in your photos) that you have no "latch thingy" on the end of your electric lock - it fell off or broke. So, once you throw the loose piece away, you are good to go IF IF IF that is what you found in there

Now, confirm that the latch pivot for the emergency trunk release is intact, I know it opened for you, but it may have broken as it opened.

I wish I could make out more in your photos, but there is nothing like BEING there....

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-19-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I believe so, go back to post 73 and look at the last photo in that post. LAST PHOTO.

It looks to me (in your photos) that you have no "latch thingy" on the end of your electric lock - it fell off or broke. So, once you throw the loose piece away, you are good to go IF IF IF that is what you found in there

Now, confirm that the latch pivot for the emergency trunk release is intact, I know it opened for you, but it may have broken as it opened.

I wish I could make out more in your photos, but there is nothing like BEING there....
My trunk will not open and top will not go down. Took the license plate light out and there is no cable...must be broken. I dont have the multitool or its lock in trunk. What are my options besides a dealer

Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by westtoles@gmail.com
My trunk will not open and top will not go down. Took the license plate light out and there is no cable...must be broken. I dont have the multitool or its lock in trunk. What are my options besides a dealer

Sorry your trunk and top is not working correctly right now. For your wallets sake NEVER take it to a stealership before trying every offer of help given here. If money (yours) is not a problem, then disregard my post. Just about every issue with the top/trunk has been fixed here. Might take time BUT it is better than spending thousands on a stealership that throws parts at everything until they give up (or you go broke). Trust the help here from the experienced members who know the systems. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 AM

It is a bit of a pain but you can do it. Been there done it.

With the light housing out you can see the locking mechanism. Look for the electric lock plunger (circled in red) and use a screwdriver to move it to the right. This will release the electric lock. Then use the screwdriver to actuate the trunk latch be pushing the sliver lever down. You can spot the latch left of the electric lock.

Good luck! Leaddog

Attached Images
License Plate Light.jpg (67.0 KB, 84 views)
IMG_6830sm.jpg (126.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:35 PM

Leaddog2015 knows of which he speaks.

Quick Reply: Trunk Lid Jammed