Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

I had the dealer "fix" it and we visually saw the top work (go up and down) and now that I am home it doesn't work at all. Super frustrating. The panel is up and in place (the sticks are in the hook area), the panel is where it "should be", the switch inside was supposedly replaced, and now I have no clue what the problem could be. When I unlatch and turn latch the windows go down, when i hit the button it just beeps, one beep, nothing else happens. Any ideas? Anything else I can try? I don't know why it would work at the dealer then not for me at home. I am starting to think its an electrical short that burns out after a few days (hence working right then and not a few days later?) Does that even make sense? I don't know too much about cars so any help would be great.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

I still think there is an issue with the divider switches. They can be a PITA.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Sorry, but if the windows go down, after unlatching...it is working, no short....the beep is telling you there is a problem with the top...so go back and check the latches, or should say the switches to the latch area in the trunk...make sure nothing in the trunk has gotten wind up in any of the mechanism...and they are a pain...

Old 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM

Okay so I checked and the latches (where the top of the divider goes) there seems to be only a sensor on the left one...it has a metal looking thing that you can see and the one on the right has none. Is there supposed to be a sensor on both sides? Also, there seems to be a plastic piece broken on the right side as well...what other mechanism do i check out?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
What exactly is a divider switch? sorry I really do not know much. I see the divider, it has a stick coming out on each side (left and right) and it goes into a section on each side (left and right) that has a sensor only on the left side. I put the divider in securely (followed the path and it's in there snug) but top still won't go down. Is there a piece of paper or something I need to put in that area to make it more snug?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Sorry, but if the windows go down, after unlatching...it is working, no short....the beep is telling you there is a problem with the top...so go back and check the latches, or should say the switches to the latch area in the trunk...make sure nothing in the trunk has gotten wind up in any of the mechanism...and they are a pain...
how do i check the switches to the latch area? where are those located? not sure which latches you mean

Old 10-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by abercrombierosy
how do i check the switches to the latch area? where are those located? not sure which latches you mean
if you have the divider pulled up in the back and hooked into the loops on each side, that is all you should have to do...the back should be straight up toward the back...not it the down position...if that doesn't do it then there is a problem somewhere else ....make sure there isn't anything lying down in the mechanism somewhere...now the switch that lets the windows down, is tied to the latch mechanism...so the top switch may be fused, this I would have to research...so, I would check all the fuses at this point...I am on the road, so I can't do that research from here...

Old 10-10-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
if you have the divider pulled up in the back and hooked into the loops on each side, that is all you should have to do...the back should be straight up toward the back...not it the down position...if that doesn't do it then there is a problem somewhere else ....make sure there isn't anything lying down in the mechanism somewhere...now the switch that lets the windows down, is tied to the latch mechanism...so the top switch may be fused, this I would have to research...so, I would check all the fuses at this point...I am on the road, so I can't do that research from here...
Yup the divider is straight up and it is hooked into the loops however only the right loop has a metal thing that looks like a sensor....are they BOTH supposed to have that metal thing? and the right also has a plastic piece that looks broken. So I wonder if the problem is that there is a missing sensor on the right loop or if it's not detecting the latch due to the broken piece. It fits snug into the loops and its exactly where it looks like it should be. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 PM

After you unlatch the top, Have you push the top up away from the windshield?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by GDC-SRT
After you unlatch the top, Have you push the top up away from the windshield?
yes I have I have pushed the top to attempt to unjam it if that were the case. I wasn't too rough on it though so that I don't break anything. Any suggestions as to how hard to push the top back?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After pushing the top up, are you putting the latch back in the closed position? It will not work unless it is.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 25259503
After pushing the top up, are you putting the latch back in the closed position? It will not work unless it is.
Yeah it goes back to the closed position automatically

Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

So, you unlatch and put the top up. The windows go down. You press the button and it just beeps.

Possible causes:

1) The divider in the trunk is not deployed (obviously not the case) OR the sensor for the divider is defective.
2) The trunk lid is open (obviously not the case) OR the sensor in the trunk is defective.
3) You are going faster than 9 mph (obviously not the case).
4) The electric trunk lock is not working OR it IS working but it's sensor is not indicating to the control module that the trunk IS locked.

To restate 4) above:
Now, you say it beeps telling you it doesn't like something. Normally, the instant you press the button you will hear a soft sound from the trunk, it's the electric lock actuating so that you can't open the trunk during the 23 seconds the top is going up or down. I suppose the problem COULD be this mechanism is not working. If that electric lock does not activate and indicate to the control module that the trunk IS electrically locked, the controller won't let the pump start AND you will get a "beep" sound.

Do you hear the electric lock make a sound from the trunk when you press the switch? Or do you just hear the "I don't like something" beep?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
So, you unlatch and put the top up. The windows go down. You press the button and it just beeps.

Possible causes:

1) The divider in the trunk is not deployed (obviously not the case) OR the sensor for the divider is defective.
2) The trunk lid is open (obviously not the case) OR the sensor in the trunk is defective.
3) You are going faster than 9 mph (obviously not the case).
4) The electric trunk lock is not working OR it IS working but it's sensor is not indicating to the control module that the trunk IS locked.

To restate 4) above:
Now, you say it beeps telling you it doesn't like something. Normally, the instant you press the button you will hear a soft sound from the trunk, it's the electric lock actuating so that you can't open the trunk during the 23 seconds the top is going up or down. I suppose the problem COULD be this mechanism is not working. If that electric lock does not activate and indicate to the control module that the trunk IS electrically locked, the controller won't let the pump start AND you will get a "beep" sound.

I am not sure what that soft sound would sound like I will pay more attention to it when I try it again. So I guess it could be my trunk not knowing its locked. And it could be the sensor for the divider- are there two divider sensors or just one? And how can I tell if its that lock mechanism you mention?

Do you hear the electric lock make a sound from the trunk when you press the switch? Or do you just hear the "I don't like something" beep?
I don't know if I hear a sound what does it sound like? I'm not sure I hear anything at all besides the beep but I will verify

Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

You need QUIET to hear it. It's like a gently "motor-y" sound from the trunk. Sit in the car, turn the key on, unlock the latch and let the windows go down, and push the front of the top the required 4 inches.

NOW, hit the button - it's a quick "whirrrrrrr-ump". I suspect you WON"T hear it, I supsect some OTHER sensor is bad and stopping the process dead in it's tracks. IF you hear a whirrrrr-ump" sound (that last about as long as it takes to read that "whirrrrr-ump") and THEN you hear the beep - I'd suspect the lock is not sending back the indication that the trunk is locked. But if you hear an INSTANT beep, I'd look at the divider sensor, the trunk-closed-position-sensor or ???? Not sure what else there is!

I'd bet you it's the divider sensor. There have been at least two confirmed cases of that sensor acting up in the 16 months I've been here.

Good night all!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM

Okay I checked and it beeps way before any kind of sound...it beeps immediately after the windows go down and it keeps beeping if i don't let go of the button and it flashes (red light goes off as it beeps). I looked inside trunk again and noticed that the divider sits snug on the left side (where sensor is) and not as snug on right side (where sensor is not). Can someone please verify if there are two divider sensors? One on each side or only one on the left side. The right side seems like it could have had one yet it seems to be broken off...would warranty even cover it if its broken? I'm worried. Also when car was at dealer it was working...so it has to work somehow with just one sensor and the broken right side. Any suggestions?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out section 8W-66 POWER TOP of the service manual which you can download from here. http://www.majormotorshotrods.com/_d...ice_Manual.pdf

This should help you with diagnosing your problem.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Check out section 8W-66 POWER TOP of the service manual which you can download from here. http://www.majormotorshotrods.com/_d...ice_Manual.pdf

This should help you with diagnosing your problem.
Great info, not that I understood most of it but it did answer my question in that there is only one sensor. So having said that. I guess either my one sensor is faulty or I need to rig the divider so that its sensed correctly

Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked at my trunk, and on the right side, I have a metal spring clip that the divider rod passes through to latch. Is this the part that is missing on yours?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
I looked at my trunk, and on the right side, I have a metal spring clip that the divider rod passes through to latch. Is this the part that is missing on yours?
Yes that's the part I mean, do you have that spring on BOTH sides? I have one only on the left and not on the right. If you have one on both then that means I am missing a sensor and would be the problem.

Quick Reply: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work