Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

Old 11-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
how much? of PM me...this might be a part I want on the shelf...lol
PM sent Doc.....

Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Cool Re: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

i have 05 that does this sometimes slam the trunk lid to make sure it is closed

Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM

Hi OLEDOC2U,
I read your message on the switch available for the Crossfire. I tried to look up the part number in one of your photos online but was not able to find it. Can you help me to locate one? Seems I also cannot get my top to go down.
Thanks!
Gordy

Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 PM

Can't get my top to go down. Is there anyway to cheet the sensor so that I can keep the divider down permantely. Everytime I put the divider down the top woun't work. Chrysler wants $89.00 to run diagnostics. Please Help!
Dennis...678-897-8493
denniskriegh@yahoo.com

Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by dkriegh
Can't get my top to go down. Is there anyway to cheet the sensor so that I can keep the divider down permantely. Everytime I put the divider down the top woun't work. Chrysler wants $89.00 to run diagnostics. Please Help!
Dennis...678-897-8493
denniskriegh@yahoo.com
That divider system is there for a very good reason. I would fix it rather than defeat it.
The dealer adjusted mine for $100 and it's worked fine ever since. $.02

Old 04-15-2011, 04:44 PM
fvj

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
Hooray ......

Attachment 19774

Attachment 19775

Attachment 19776

Attachment 19777

EDIT: appears that connections to switch are soldered .... AND BY THE WAY, I HAVE A SOURCE FOR ANOTHER UNIT LIKE THIS IF YOU WANT. NOT EXPENSIVE, AND KEEPS YOU OEM. Just my $.02
Hey, I am looking to buy the micro switch but can't find it. Any suggestions on where to find?

Thanks

Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 PM

FYI....had the issue of the top not going down last year. After spending $400 for my "master mechanic" to change one of the sensors in the front of the top, it still didn't work. They wanted another 270 to change another one. Well...knowing there is a sensor in the back, when you pull up your divider, I thought maybe, it wasn't having enough contact when I snap the arm into the latch where the sensor is. I put a small piece of duct tape around the left arm of the divider so that when you snap it in, it's really tight. Not an issue since then. Always goes up...always goes down. So happy I wasted $400 on nothing...

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is without a doubt the cheesiest looking micro switch I have ever seen and I've seen more than a few in my 40+ years doing electrical work. LOL.

I have yet to touch the divider in the 8 months I've owned my CF and never plan to touch the bloody thing. My advice to anyone is leave it alone and you most likely won't have any problems with it.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Beep
That divider system is there for a very good reason. I would fix it rather than defeat it.
The dealer adjusted mine for $100 and it's worked fine ever since. $.02
I'm in agreement here, the purpose of the switch is to ensure the Divider is in the correct position so it doesn't lower onto something left in the area, causing major damage, and major headaches.

If I suspected the switch itself, I would first jumper out the switch electrically, and then test to make sure that's the fix.

If it is the switch, an alternative to replacing could be to place a small manual microswitch in parallel with the switch. That is don't cut and solder the Black and Blue wire together permanently, this would show the Divider always in the correct position (for Top Down).

Rather, keep the wires connected as normal, but strip back the insulation on both, and solder a Microswich across both wires.

If the switch, or rod placement is intermitent, and Top Down fails, this forces you to go in the trunk, throw the microswitch to jump it out, and it ensures you look at the Divider for correct placement.

(The normal position of the added Microswitch is OPEN all the time, you should only throw CLOSED when you encounter a Top Failure. Once the top is Down, put Switch back to OPEN, and your set for your next intermittent failure).

If your reluctant to change the switch wholesale, this might be a cheap and safe alternative...

Last edited by Kodebuster; 07-21-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Question Re: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

Somewhat related... In an attempt to dry out my top, seat & front carpet after a major rainstorm leak, I left the top halfway up/down for a couple of days. Now that everything's dry, the red light on the top switch is blinking and the top won't move either way. Have not been in the trunk, so the divider sensor is prolly not an issue. Could water have gotten into the fusebox?

BTW, top is new, still under warranty. I hope to fix this myself before Chrysler gets here with the rollback.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Candy
Somewhat related... In an attempt to dry out my top, seat & front carpet after a major rainstorm leak, I left the top halfway up/down for a couple of days. Now that everything's dry, the red light on the top switch is blinking and the top won't move either way. Have not been in the trunk, so the divider sensor is prolly not an issue. Could water have gotten into the fusebox?

BTW, top is new, still under warranty. I hope to fix this myself before Chrysler gets here with the rollback.
If not mistaken, if you leave the Top in a half open position for ten (10) minutes or greater, the Top hydraulic system will de-pressurize (spelling...???).

There's probably a procedure to re-activate the hydraulics, but I'm at a loss right now on how to do this.

Try a peek at the Owners Manual.

If that's not a fix, and things got really wet, you may have to wait for a complete dry out, or you need to systematically go through each Top sensor and make sure they are operable.

Typically when encountering a Top down issue, the Cargo Divider microswitch is a prime suspect...

Last edited by Kodebuster; 07-29-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Thanks, Kodebuster ... the manual tells how to relieve the hydraulic pressure in order to manually raise or lower the top, but nothing about repressurizing. I followed the instructions, but either I did something wrong, or two of us were simply not strong enough to raise the top.

Hate to waste this pretty driving weather

Old 08-06-2011, 04:38 PM

The top can be a very expensive fix if the dealer has anything to say about it.
You mentioned the top is in warranty. May I ask you what kind of warranty?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by PAULSXF
The top can be a very expensive fix if the dealer has anything to say about it.
You mentioned the top is in warranty. May I ask you what kind of warranty

Chrysler replaced the whole top when the window fell out in January, and it's warranteed for 12 months. The seam split and the gasket failed, so the dealer picked it up and I'm waiting for a diagnosis.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry, I just saw this thread...did you get the info you needed?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too would like to know how things got resolved. I am more than curious on how to go about "re-pressurizing" the hydraulic system after the 10 minute time out.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TiredRetired
I too would like to know how things got resolved. I am more than curious on how to go about "re-pressurizing" the hydraulic system after the 10 minute time out.
I'm guessing here, but I think you would need to manually move the Top to the fully open or closed position.

I would then start the car and try the Top up/down button.

My next move would be to remove one lead of the battery, let it sit for a while, then reconnect, and back to the button.

Someone will eventually chime in if they have the fix on how to reset the Top System and re-pressure the hydraulics...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM

Anyone know what the switch is that controls the windows going down when you open the top latch along the upper windshield? That's what's wrong w/mine.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 73737373
Anyone know what the switch is that controls the windows going down when you open the top latch along the upper windshield? That's what's wrong w/mine.
It's the header latch switch, mounted to the passenger side, not on the top, but in the windshield header. A real joy to access.
1. remove sun visors
2. remove 'A' pillar covers.
3. remove dome light and HomeLink(if a Limited )
4. remove the top cover piece and have at it.

( somewhat simplified, refer to SRT6 service manual for details )

Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM

Thanks. It was a cinch to get to...I need the part #, if anyone has it.

Quick Reply: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work