Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Originally Posted by dizzy
Does Anybody know what the specific vin numbers are?

Specific VIN numbers refers to the specific group of Roadsters first delivered to the 9 specific States. Of course, many cars were moved into or out of those States by their owners, but the warranty extension/service bulletin covered only that group, regardless of where any may have been later located, or if your non-covered car may have spent most of it's time in a covered State of delivery.
So in reality, it is VIN specific and the "heat & humidity region" is just a smoke screen, they did not even cover the whole region.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not, I called Chrysler last night and spoke to a recall customer service rep. Seriously. 1-800-247-9753 and follow the one or two prompts. She updated my VIN with my contact information and opened a ticket or Case Number regarding the delamination of the glass window in my convertible top. Very important: The recall stated below is legit and has was updated in 2013. She read it to me from her computer screen. Yes, the 10 year, 100k mile warranty is in affect. However, the recall is VIN specific and on covers certain VIN's shipped into certain states in the US. California is not one of those states so my specific VIN is not yet on the list and I don't have , yet, a recall notice on my '05 Crossfire. Yet....

She did suggest to go get the car fixed at a Chrysler dealer and save my receipts. This way, when corporate gets my case number sent to them, they may eventually add my VIN to the list. I will then be eligible for full reimbursement. That is way more then I expected when calling "Chrysler last evening. Hope this helps you guys.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by lovecross
Specific VIN numbers refers to the specific group of Roadsters first delivered to the 9 specific States. Of course, many cars were moved into or out of those States by their owners, but the warranty extension/service bulletin covered only that group, regardless of where any may have been later located, or if your non-covered car may have spent most of it's time in a covered State of delivery.
So in reality, it is VIN specific and the "heat & humidity region" is just a smoke screen, they did not even cover the whole region.
I was wondering if anybody knew what vin numbers specifically fall into that category for example 1C3AN79NX5X05XXX etc etc.

@bob ... did you get a quote yet? I'm in Pomona, CA so I'm near you... if you could update me on what you do that would be awesome.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no "specific" series of vins.. as noted in the post above yours. That "specific group" is 05 models. I seriously doubt it's destination was pre determined on the assembly line at the time of vin assignment ..

Old 09-11-2015, 02:58 PM

This program expired or ended in August 2014.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by delaneyg
This program expired or ended in August 2014.
You have that in writing somewhere? I've seen comments that it is 10yrs from original purchase date. And I find that believable since no warranty starts from the point of it being shipped to a dealer. Which means we have till Jan 2016.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:36 PM

I just got off a chat session with a Chrysler rep, and that is the official response. I posed some of your objections, but was met with the same response. The campaign (not recall) had a limited life, and it has ended. I bought my 05 roadster in in 2011, and had I known about the program earlier would have participated.
I have been using the 3M product for 2 years as the window separates in a small area and I have had excellent results. It is all in the preparation - clean surfaces! I have never waited for it to come completely off.
Cheers,
g

Old 09-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Caldarella
Yes, the 10 year, 100k mile warranty is in affect.

The campaign (not recall) had a limited life, and it has ended. I bought my 05 roadster in in 2011, and had I known about the program earlier would have participated.
g
As normal.. there is discrepancy in what Chrysler tells "us" over the phone..

Old 09-11-2015, 05:17 PM

I was asked for my VIN # and Mileage - 56K. There was never any offer made to me extend the program to 100K.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM

I was asked for my VIN # and Mileage - 56K. There was never any offer made to me extend the program to 100K.
Was your cars "very first" point of sale within the 9 states of the extended warranty?

That is the real question.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:12 PM

That is the first time that I have been told that it was dependent on what state it was sold in. The car was originally sold by a dealer in Texas and has always been registered in Texas.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:24 PM

Do you have the Carfax on it? I would wager a guess it has met the "10 years" from original sale date.. Reviewed my wife's .. Jan. 11, 2016 was it's date of sale.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs down Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
There is no "specific" series of vins.. as noted in the post above yours. That "specific group" is 05 models. I seriously doubt it's destination was pre determined on the assembly line at the time of vin assignment ..
I agree 100%. By Vin specific, I meant the actual group of Roadsters shipped/delivered to the 9 State destinations. Chrysler (to NHTSA), called it a customer satisfaction issue, & offered their warranty (including reimbursement option) to the "region". They obviously left out several States in the region indicating that while compelled to take some kind of action, cost containment/damage control ($) was clearly their "top" priority. I sought help from Fed. Trade Commission years ago but they refused to even ask Chrysler for an explanation.

An unreasonable risk to vehicle safety is a totally separate issue & NHTSA agreed with Chrysler on this question because they reported finding no verifiable reports of accident, death or injury including the glass leaving the vehicle as a projectile.
They completely ignored my complaint about the loss of the roof structure's integrity with consequential interior flooding requiring a need for an investigation. While many did have complete detachment, even a minor opening can potentially cause serious damage and malfunctioning and I felt this deserved consideration. Nope, no investigation concerning interior flooding or anything else: Petition Denied. Thanks for nothing NHTSA.
If you read NHTSA's findings, from their meeting with Chrysler (2010/2011), they both at that time, agreed that this was simply a "regional/9 State" frustrating inconvenience for owners and that no safety related defect existed!?! How did they reach that conclusion and with what evidence?

Last edited by lovecross; 09-14-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Forum Regular
Wink Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

That is the first time that I have been told that it was dependent on what state it was sold in. The car was originally sold by a dealer in Texas and has always been registered in Texas.
It sounds like you have legitimate negotiating ground. Remember, "original purchaser" was/is not a requirement. You could offer a co-pay of maybe $300, but insist that you should receive equal treatment as was published in Chrysler's Letter of 2011. Whatever the actual date of sale, I would point out their specified 10 year period and point out that this still the 10th year for the 2005 model. Try to go up the chain of command and be sure to ask if they want to keep you as a lifetime customer.
Footnote: any of the "group" if relocated to a "non-covered" State remained eligible regardless of current State location. Just don't move to Canada.

Last edited by lovecross; 09-12-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:32 PM
Forum Regular

Believe it or not, I called Chrysler last night and spoke to a recall customer service rep. Seriously. 1-800-247-9753 and follow the one or two prompts. She updated my VIN with my contact information and opened a ticket or Case Number regarding the delamination of the glass window in my convertible top. Very important: The recall stated below is legit and has was updated in 2013. She read it to me from her computer screen. Yes, the 10 year, 100k mile warranty is in affect. However, the recall is VIN specific and on covers certain VIN's shipped into certain states in the US. California is not one of those states so my specific VIN is not yet on the list and I don't have , yet, a recall notice on my '05 Crossfire. Yet....

She did suggest to go get the car fixed at a Chrysler dealer and save my receipts. This way, when corporate gets my case number sent to them, they may eventually add my VIN to the list. I will then be eligible for full reimbursement. That is way more then I expected when calling "Chrysler last evening. Hope this helps you guys.
There is No recall, just a limited customer satisfaction warranty. (Curious about any 2013 "update"). Other State Vin #'s have never been added, that I'm aware of. You may ask for a "goodwill" offer and try to negotiate a reasonable co-pay or reimbursement if already replaced. Tell them you would like to remain a loyal customer, but.... Good Luck.

Last edited by lovecross; 09-12-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:34 PM

There is No recall, just a limited customer satisfaction warranty. (Curious about any 2013 "update"). Other State Vin #'s have never been added, that I'm aware of. You may ask for a "goodwill" offer and try to negotiate a reasonable co-pay. Good Luck.
Sounds a lot better... "insisting" with them might get you a click and dial tone..

Old 09-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Forum Regular

Right again Mrmiata, "insist" is a bit strong. Delaneyg's car meets the 2005, sold in Texas, (56k) miles criteria. If past the 10 year sale date, it is still in the 10th year of the model year, so that may be the best way to "plead" the case, along with the customer loyalty point.
I am always pleased when I hear of anyone getting a fair deal from Chrysler about this, because there are not many who did.
Bob Caldarella has a CA car so chances are slim & none, but one can always try because there is nothing to lose.

Last edited by lovecross; 09-13-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:52 PM

Right again Mrmiata, "insist" is a bit strong. Delaneyg's car meets the 2005, sold in Texas, 56k miles criteria. If past the 10 year sale date, it is still in the 10th year of the model year, so that may be the best way to "plead" the case.
I am always pleased when I hear of anyone getting a fair deal from Chrysler about this, because there are not many who did.
Also mentioning you weren't aware of the extended warranty - and managed a home repair to keep it from leaking and ruining the electronics.. "maybe" since you never received notification they will "good will" you a deal.. They hold the cards so play nice.. LOL

Old 09-18-2015, 05:15 PM

My top on my 2005 just came loose. Car has been garaged all these years and I guess that helped it out.
I am in North Carolina and bought the car in 2007 from a local Chrysler dealership.
The 2005 Crossfire only had 85 miles on it at the time I bought in 2007.

Anyway I just had a chat session with someone at Chrysler Customer Care and he says
my car should be covered. Took about 10 minutes in all to get the confirmation from him.

http://www.chrysler.com/webselfservi...ler/index.html

He told me based on my VIN number my care has the extended 100,000 mile warranty.

From my chat session with Chrysler:

"Shawn: Yes the car has the extended warranty"
"Shawn: X31 BACK GLASS ADHESHION 120 months or 100,000 miles 0 February 27, 2017 18 months or 29,800 miles"

Good thing is I was able to print out the entire chat session and the guy there has logged my complaint.
So when I go to the dealership hopefully they will not give me any grief. I would advise people to try their
chat service out instead of fighting the 1-800 telephone jungle. I had a wait of all of 30 seconds before someone
came on to help me.

Pretty much all the adhesive came loose except for the adhesive at the top middle part of the back glass.
I have temporarily "fixed it" by stuffing rolled up beach towels in strategic places in the bottom two
corners to prop the back window and keep it in place. Otherwise the window hangs literally by the little
bit of adhesive that is left and the wires for the rear window defroster.

I am just wondering one thing. My top has never leaked and otherwise is in great shape because the car
has always been in a garage. Will they replace the whole top or just fix the adhesive on the existing top?

I'd almost prefer the latter because with my luck they would give me a new top and the darn thing would leak.
Thanks to those who started this thread for letting us know about this.

Last edited by unc4life; 09-18-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:21 PM

Bob, as the convertible top has to be completely removed from the car to repair the glass, they usually just do a one off, one on replacement, and dispose of the old one. Some people have even persuaded the dealership to give them the old top.

Quick Reply: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!